Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 2011 Volvo Specifications

Views : 51826

Replies : 325

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 11:06   #21
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu71rd View Post
powered tailgate - that's a pretty weird thing to make standard on a uk car...

any changes to se lux i wonder?
Not that I can remember, however, the Merac wheels are replaced by another set.

Last edited by Teejay1; Mar 15th, 2010 at 11:18.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:01   #22
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

The power tailgate might be a real problem! Can you stop it half way up or does it open all the way regardless? If it automatically, & unstoppably, fully opens I would need to get the car out of the garage before opening the boot at all.

We normally automatically open the garage door, drive in & then unpack.

With a manual tailgate you can easily open it as much as needed & do what you need to do leaving the car in the garage.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:20   #23
mu71rd

certainly on the Audi Q5, they boast that you can stop the boot at a certain point, but presumably you have to be watching it quite carefully to stop it 'in time'.

powered tailgate is certainly a fun toy, but an odd thing to justify a price hike with. how many people are really that bothered by having to open their doors manually?
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:32   #24
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

I think the theory is that when crossing the car park with your hands full of shopping it is nice to have the tailgate opened by the remote control. Of course it assumes that you have the remote control in your hand & that you can press the button without dropping your shopping.........

I am afraid that I regard it as another button for the inadequate & it joins the list of automatic wipers, automatic lights, etc etc etc. I am also sure that it can go wrong & be expensive to repair!
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 12:41   #25
Chinese taxi

I too am waiting new XC60 2011 specs after being told yesterday that my 2.4D Drive
R-design ordered for April delivery "cannot be manufactured due to factory changes" and will now be a 2.0l delivered in June !! They said 2.4D is discontinued for this model.
Besides the disappointment in the delay, I am concerned whether this change will satisfy my needs.

They will honour my price / deal. ie - No price hike for 2011 model and hold my trade in value.
I am told the 2.0 D will deliver 163BHP (2.4D was 175BHP) but will produce better economy ?

Am I getting a worse deal ? (I can't work it out).
Chinese taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 13:19   #26
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese taxi View Post
They said 2.4D is discontinued for this model. I am told the 2.0 D will deliver 163BHP (2.4D was 175BHP) but will produce better economy ?
I'm looking to order a new XC90 Executive D5 as soon as the order books are open. Does anyone know if the 2.4D is being dropped for the Executive model as well? I'm hoping that the higher BHP version of the D5 will be made available (as some rumours and my dealer has hinted at)

Having only this new 2.0D with its lower BHP would be a real disappointment as this could make the car more of a slug to drive. The XC90 really needs the higher BHP to make it practical to drive. (Sorry don’t buy into all this green con job stuff)
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 13:42   #27
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

If the have announced the D5 for the upcoming S60, I cannot see Volvo discontinuing the engine in the rest of their line-up. They might however drop the 2.4D for the D3.

Personally I'd forgone the extra power of the D5 for the 2.4D, so I would be disappointed if the engine was discontinued, but without a test drive, no way to say how the D3 would perform.

I would certainly not buy a car I had not test driven.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 14:25   #28
Daleman
Master Member

Default 2.0 only for XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
I'm looking to order a new XC90 Executive D5 as soon as the order books are open. Does anyone know if the 2.4D is being dropped for the Executive model as well? I'm hoping that the higher BHP version of the D5 will be made available (as some rumours and my dealer has hinted at)

Having only this new 2.0D with its lower BHP would be a real disappointment as this could make the car more of a slug to drive. The XC90 really needs the higher BHP to make it practical to drive. (Sorry don’t buy into all this green con job stuff)
Pretty sure this new engine is only bound for the XC60; they will keep the 2.4 in the XC90
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 14:31   #29
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I think the theory is that when crossing the car park with your hands full of shopping it is nice to have the tailgate opened by the remote control. Of course it assumes that you have the remote control in your hand & that you can press the button without dropping your shopping.........

I am afraid that I regard it as another button for the inadequate & it joins the list of automatic wipers, automatic lights, etc etc etc. I am also sure that it can go wrong & be expensive to repair!
Its a bit harsh to call someone who is a bit short "inadequate", do you realise how high the tailgate goes when fully open ? Or someone who has arm muscle issues.

I'm 6 foot and don't have muscle issues, but use the boot daily as part of my business. The power option saves me a trip to car from the shed to open the boot,before carrying the stuff to it. And at the "other side", I can load my two arms up and then just a quick press of the tail-lip button closes it down, which would otherwise be impossible to close without setting most of the goods down.

To answer others, you can stop the tailgate at any time by pressing the button on the tailgate-lip while its opening.

I have had once or twice a problem where the tailgate would not close and had to be forced down. I havn't been able to exactly track down the sequence, but it did involve switching on or off the igintion whilst the tailgate was operating.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 14:51   #30
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post

I agree with the lights but not about the auto wipers, I too thought that they were a waste of time but having speed sensitive wipers on my current car are less than useless. Its always either too fast or too slow. Since having them on a BMW test car I think they will be a great addition to safety imo. It was certainly something I would have added, auto lights I'm not so sure about.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote