Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Failed MOT on Parking Brake

Views : 54085

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 22:05   #61
fuzzypicture

After failing both previous MOTs on the handbrake I replace the shoes before each MOT now, I think of it as cheap MOT insurance!

Joe
fuzzypicture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 22:26   #62
In Reverse

Failed MOT at weekend on the handbrake. Only 9% efficiency - should be 16%.

Its passed the last few years without any work for MOT (car is regularly maintained) and handbrake wasnt great but enough to pass. About 6 months ago the rear pads and discs needed changing, so i replaced them myself and fitted new handbrake shoes at same time.

The handbrake was never great with the new shoes and clearly wasnt, hence the recent MOT fail.

I had another go at adjusting it tonight and have got a much better brake, holding it on a hill in neutral. I am a bit concerned however as the adjuster, which I adjusted using 2 spanners and a socket as a fulcrum, seems to show quite a bit of the ratchet on one side, compared to the pictures on page 2 of this thread. It looks like I might have over adjusted???

Any ideas if its possible to over stretch the adjustment ratchet or what roughly the correct distance should be?
In Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 15:54   #63
kentishdriver

If it is any help my 4yr old XC90 failed MOT on parking brake efficiency. 0%. Indy did not have special tool so was not fixed at time of failure. So to avoid having to go to Vovo dealer, and back to Indy have tried to sort it myself.

MachineMart (Clarkes) do a circlip pliers set (£14). Internal and External with replacement screw fasten on tips. Seem to have done the job using the supplied tips, although would be easy to make ones up and fasten on, and with Mole grips on the pedal side to push against. Still have quite a few clicks on the pedal, but holds in Drive even with a few extra revs. Loathe to adjust any more, because up to about 7/8 visible threads on ratchet adjuster, and also I don't want to risk any binding on the back.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 12:33   #64
dino25uk

Default Handbrake Success at Last

Have to thank all the knowledgeable guys on the forum for their contributions. Handbrake was useless on my XC90, even with the adjusters fitted on the brake shoes. After some head scratching and then reading through all the information, I took the handbrake to task last night. Used an 11mm and 9mm open ended spanner, a bolt as a fulcrum and a set of vice grips to squeeze the ends of the spanners together. After about 20 mins of fiddling, I now have a handbrake after 4 clicks of the foot pedal .
dino25uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 13:40   #65
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino25uk View Post
Have to thank all the knowledgeable guys on the forum for their contributions. Handbrake was useless on my XC90, even with the adjusters fitted on the brake shoes. After some head scratching and then reading through all the information, I took the handbrake to task last night. Used an 11mm and 9mm open ended spanner, a bolt as a fulcrum and a set of vice grips to squeeze the ends of the spanners together. After about 20 mins of fiddling, I now have a handbrake after 4 clicks of the foot pedal .
Should be 2, 3 clicks max.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 14:29   #66
dino25uk

Thanks Roy, actually went through the whole procedure again last night, just before the Volvo was up for MOT. Handbrake now at 3 clicks. Guy in MOT centre told me that the measurements he got on the equipemtn when testing the parking brake were as good as Volvo gets . I am really pleased as the car went through MOT and I've been living with this issue for nearly a year now.
dino25uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino25uk For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 14:29   #67
marksman303

Default The Dreaded parking brake

Popped out in the sun yesterday to repace disks and pads on SWMBOIAT 61 XC90 and expected a struggle if not war to get the disks off but after a brief tap with copper hammer each came away clean. I cleaned and lubed the sliders and other wise all seemed well. The parking brake has always been a joke on our XC90s (we have 4 in the family) and this one was no different, would not hold on the most modest of slopes. Anyway shoe material looked OK so put some white grease on the actuators and replaced the "H" bar with an adjuster. All went back together really well and having adjusted up PB, (nipped up to "cannot turn discs with screwdriver in cooling slot" and then centred and backed off until very slight hint of rubbing noise), now on 3 clicks you cannot now pull away with it on.

Did not need to go near the under carpet adjuster or mess with anything else. Has restored my faith in the Volvo Engineers who chose this approach to the PB system.

BTW the disks which both looked OKish on the outer side were comlpetely rust rotted on the inside and the top hat bearing surface again heavily rust corroded with absolutely no sign of any contact wear ever.

I will definately make sure we use the PB now and also do a weekly session to ensure the internal surface stays clean.

Discs were Dimpled and Grooved from MTEC and springs and adjuster from Brakes International who also do good stainless hoses. "Plug" over apart from to say both firms give great service.
marksman303 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marksman303 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 17:14   #68
AB-UK
Premier Member

SWMBO - okay, but IAT ?
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 00:32   #69
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

In All Things??

Cheers