Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Angle gear / transfer box fluid spec

Views : 4576

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 09:33   #1
greenfingers

Default Angle gear / transfer box fluid spec

Does anyone know the specification of the oil used in the transfer box?
I gather that Volvo charge about 23 pounds for a litre. I have always had a slight leak, but would rather top up from time to time, although that may not be economically wise at that price.
greenfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 19:08   #2
chb
Master Member

Smile

Use the proper volvo stuff, its not worth the risk to use anything else and twenty quid is nothing. Regarding the leak, there is a volvo mod that involves lots of silicone sealant around the bevel casings gasket to act as a secondary seal. I did mine 18 months ago and its fine now. The local volvo independant told me about that, there was a volvo service bulletin about how to do it. I used silicone instant gasket stuff in silver.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chb For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 19:09   #3
chb
Master Member

Exclamation

Also...do not top up to the top of the fill hole. I cant remember the exact figure but you have to fill to the top and then remove 100 or 200 ml to get the correct fill level. This is on a MY2005 163 D5. Not sure about other models.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 23:14   #4
greenfingers

Thanks chb, you managed to read my mind - I meant to say would rather top up than spend a fortune fixing. Plus, it is the car that leaks not me!
My local independent had previously mentioned a silicone fix, so I literally cleaned the lower half of the casing and squeezed heat resistant silicone sealant along the joint. No joy however, and I then assumed that the correct procedure would be somewhat more involved. If anyone could reveal the method described in the service bulletin, I would be most grateful.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 14:27   #5
D5Gill

75w-90 dextron, available from eurocarparts. Buy a one litre container and you will have loads spare. I changed the oil in mine when fixing my AWD. There is no gasket. The design relies on two perfectly machined faces bolting up tight to one another, hence the external silicone fix recommended my Volvo. Tighten all the bolts on the casing.

Running your angle gear on low oil will shread it! Ouch £1500 for a replacement.
Old May 21st, 2012, 23:55   #6
greenfingers

An update in case anyone else is looking to do their own top up:-
D5Gill was right about the viscosity, but I was subsequently advised to make sure it is also fully synthetic oil. I used Castrol Syntrax, which cost about 12 pounds for a litre from Halfords.

It took me a while to realise that it is impossible to get any 1/2" drive socket/adaptor combination to fit squarely on the 13mm filler plug, due to the proximity of adjacent parts. In the end I managed with a ring spanner, but first had to remove one of the studs which hold the case together, so the spanner could turn.

I only injected about 300ml of fluid before it started coming out of the hole and then used a syringe with tube attached to remove the 100ml which apparently gives the correct level.

After last being topped up 8000 miles ago, it was a relief to find that the slight weep had not actually leaked much fluid. It was also evident that the fluid was coming from the upper part of the joint in the casing, so for good measure I cleaned it off and ran a thick bead of silicone as far up as I could get it. I will wait a couple of weeks and check for drips before putting the undertray back on.
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 07:50   #7
nikokoko

Unhappy

Hi guys . Did everyone knows how is the transfer box work.did the transfer box get in oil from the gearbox or it's got h or he's got his own oil .I have 2004 XC90 d5spead manual
nikokoko is offline   Reply With Quote