Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil leak

Views : 301

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2024, 17:47   #1
Gazdkw
Master Member

Default Oil leak

I have noticed oil build up around the left hand side of the engine block, just above the timing belt area. It's always been a little oily around that area but I think its getting worst. It's also a little oily underneath the air intake pipe just after the filter housing. The top of the engine is fine.

Are there any obvious common issues around this area that would show this kind of thing? I do have to top up the engine oil every 6 months or so these days
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 17:59   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
I have noticed oil build up around the left hand side of the engine block, just above the timing belt area. It's always been a little oily around that area but I think its getting worst. It's also a little oily underneath the air intake pipe just after the filter housing. The top of the engine is fine.

Are there any obvious common issues around this area that would show this kind of thing? I do have to top up the engine oil every 6 months or so these days
Is the swirl flap connecting rod working?
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 18:33   #3
Gazdkw
Master Member

It doesn't appear to be doing anything, but I can only check whilst car is idling.

How do you check properly?
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 20:24   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
It doesn't appear to be doing anything, but I can only check whilst car is idling.

How do you check properly?
You may need a helper. When you start the engine, the arm should move. When you stop the engine, it should also move. If the plastic arm is intact (i.e. it hasn't fell off), then that's a start. Normally they break and that area can end up a sludgy mess because the swirl flaps won't be working properly.

I'd suggest giving the area a clean and keep your eye on it to see how soon it gets oily again. Its possible that the rocker cover may have a slight weep.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 22:11   #5
Gazdkw
Master Member

OK, great.

The arm is intact, in fact, I did manage to slightly move it back and forth myself by hand.

It is very oily round the arm so I think that is the problematic area.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 22:20   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
OK, great.

The arm is intact, in fact, I did manage to slightly move it back and forth myself by hand.

It is very oily round the arm so I think that is the problematic area.
Yep, its likely. Its common to leak around that area. Its coming from the swirl flaps themselves or the rocker cover gasket, but I suspect swirl flaps underneath the valve cover gasket. They get clogged with carbon, which turns to an oily mess. Its a big job to replace the swirl flaps, which includes;

-A new swirl flap mechanism with a new plastic connecting arm
-Take the injectors out, remove valve cover with gasket
-Remove old swirl flap mechanism and install the new one
-Put the valve cover back with a new gasket
-Install injectors and fuel lines
-Bleed the fuel system and calibrate the swirl flap motor

Big job and its costly. Being honest, its probably not worth it (unless it gets really bad).

Even if its not the swirl flaps themselves, the rocker cover gasket isn't exactly easy to replace either. You have to remove the injectors to get the rocker cover off to actually get to the gasket, then install the new one, reinstall the injectors and bleed the system. Its not a 5 minute job.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 6th, 2024 at 22:24.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 22:51   #7
Gazdkw
Master Member

Sounds really intrusive.

I think I will clean the area up with some brake cleaner and try and prove the swirl flap is actually operating or not
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 23:10   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Sounds really intrusive.

I think I will clean the area up with some brake cleaner and try and prove the swirl flap is actually operating or not
The swirl flaps only work at lower speeds and idle anyway... they also help with emissions. After 1,500rpm, they don't do anything. So in effect, they could be stuck open (which can happen) and you won't see much of a difference. Sometimes that little plastic arm falls off completely, then the flaps are either stuck open or stuck closed.

Its getting stuck in the closed position that causes problems like engine management lights, loss of power, lumpy idle and fuel economy drops.

I'd just give the area a clean and keep your eye on the oil level. Make sure its getting motorway drives too, above 50mph for around 20 minutes to clear the DPF out. If the oily mess comes back, its likely just an accumulation of carbon over the years that's turning to an oily mess with heat and spreading. The only way to repair that is by doing what I explained earlier, which is costly. I reckon nowadays that would be a £600 repair.

I wouldn't worry about it. You have no error codes on the dash and I assume the car is driving fine.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 6th, 2024 at 23:15.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: