Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather quality

Views : 17652

Replies : 178

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 20:51   #11
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallony2k View Post
Cheers guys for the responses. The leather is the standard perfaracted type for the momentum and is beige colour. On closer inspecting the areas it looks like like scratches which makes me think that the quality is not there.

I have been looking on the detailing world forum and see that the company and product in the link has got really good reviews. http://lttleathercare.com/product/au...ther-care-kit/

I have placed an order and waiting for it to arrive to put some sort of coating on them whilst it is still fresh.

Hopefully this should help!!
I have the Inscription with nappa leather. It was one of the things I was particularly concerned about when we purchased the car, the leather feels and looks lovely, but it seemed very soft and scratchable. I'd also seen a couple of used XC90's with Blonde leather which were in quite a state, one vehicle was 6 months old and the dealer told me Volvo UK were replacing the seats before the dealer sold it.

We went for the charcoal, and after only 4 months I'm actually very impressed. The leather looks great still and seems a lot more durable than I feared it might be. I even dropped the first row onto a plastic bowl the kids had left on the seat and didn't realise for a week, when I lifted the seat I was pretty gutty by a very obvious ring imprint in the leather... But to my surprise after a few days it seemed to be loosing the imprint and now it has completely gone.

I am using the official Volvo leather care kit. While I appreciate there are many cheaper (and possibly better) creams and cleaners out there, knowing the issues I'd seen, I didn't want Volvo to blame another product I'd used should I have to complain about the leather at all.

I haven't used the cleaner yet, but have conditioned with the cream about 3 - 4 weeks after delivery.

:wq
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:04   #12
Konst

I don't find very interesting saving some money buying a non-specific product for leather care. The leather care kit offered by Volvo Switzerland is made by Swisswax which is a well know brand which I trust in.
What puzzle me it is Volvo saying ( last winter issue of their magazine with the leather care kit advertising page) new leather seats don't need to be conditioned for the first 2 years.
In my previous cars with leather interiors I always begin the treatment after a few months, without waiting the first signs of wearing.
MY17 XC90 D5 Inscription 7 seats, Electric silver/charcoal, 21"wheels,Walnut,leather dash,Luxury pack ventilated+massage, 4 zone clim pack,Xenium Pack, VOC+modem, sunroof, Winter pro Pack Auxiliary Fuel Heater+HUD,Business+ pack with B&W +DAB
Konst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:14   #13
taz777
VOC Member

Your clothing may have metal buttons or zips that are scratching the protective layer on the leather facings. There's also the risk of dye transfer onto lighter-coloured leather.

The best leather cleaners and conditioners that I've used are from LTT and Dr Leather.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:16   #14
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konst View Post
I don't find very interesting saving some money buying a non-specific product for leather care. The leather care kit offered by Volvo Switzerland is made by Swisswax which is a well know brand which I trust in.
What puzzle me it is Volvo saying ( last winter issue of their magazine with the leather care kit advertising page) new leather seats don't need to be conditioned for the first 2 years.
In my previous cars with leather interiors I always begin the treatment after a few months, without waiting the first signs of wearing.
Personally I think your comment, using a brand you trust in is the key important statement. I have always used good quality leather cleaners but I must admit never one with a car brand on the label that then increases the price by 2 or 3 times or more.

Last edited by neon; Nov 3rd, 2016 at 08:41.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 11:01   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I even dropped the first row onto a plastic bowl the kids had left on the seat and didn't realise for a week, when I lifted the seat I was pretty gutty by a very obvious ring imprint in the leather... But to my surprise after a few days it seemed to be loosing the imprint and now it has completely gone.

:wq
Hopefully the marks from the Britax booster will come out in time for me then.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 21:26   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi Guys

I think I saw a thread somewhere on the forum about the quality of the leather in the XC90 but I could be wrong. I have only had my XC90 momentum for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed that the pigments on the driver seat and the passenger seat is starting to wear away. I don't know what other people's thoughts are but I think the quality is poor! The car is a lease vehicle and I am concerned that after 3 years the state of the seats will be horrendous.

Does anyone have any thoughts / products on how to prevent them from wearing away? Could it be a poor quality leather from volvo and that I should be in touch with them about it?

Appricate some feedback.

Cheers
Yes get in contact with the dealer , there may be a bad batch of leather , it happened some years ago and with Leather steering wheel covering .
You cant prevent it happening as you slide over it when you get in and turn around .
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 16:31   #17
GMTRB5

I use Heaven for Leather as recommended by Auto Express .. does a great job on mine cleaning it and making it feel supple ..

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...en-for-leather
MY17 D5 PowerPulse R Design | Bursting Blue | Nappa Soft Leather | Carbon Fibre inlays | Winter pack | Family pack | Xenium pack | BLIS cross traffic | 7 seat comfort pack | 230v socket | Heated rear seats | Apple CarPlay | Subwoofer
GMTRB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 13:18   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Guys

I think I saw a thread somewhere on the forum about the quality of the leather in the XC90 but I could be wrong. I have only had my XC90 momentum for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed that the pigments on the driver seat and the passenger seat is starting to wear away. I don't know what other people's thoughts are but I think the quality is poor! The car is a lease vehicle and I am concerned that after 3 years the state of the seats will be horrendous.

Does anyone have any thoughts / products on how to prevent them from wearing away? Could it be a poor quality leather from volvo and that I should be in touch with them about it?

Appricate some feedback.

Cheers

The only concern I have with my XC90 nappa leather seats is where the leather on the front seats base outer edge rubs against the the top edge of the plastic sides where the seat controls are, this marks the leather badly and I think it is only a matter of time before they wear a hole in the leather. I am thinking about putting a piece of soft leather material between the leather and the plastic.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 5th, 2016 at 13:21.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 13:24   #19
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
Your clothing may have metal buttons or zips that are scratching the protective layer on the leather facings. There's also the risk of dye transfer onto lighter-coloured leather.

The best leather cleaners and conditioners that I've used are from LTT and Dr Leather.
Let us get one thing straight the leather of most modern cars falls into two categories - Pigmented Coated Leather or Semi Aniline, only RR use Aniline throughout now (Bentley use Aniline for the majority but on less visual touch and feel areas reduce cost for a semi version).

Pigment coated itself has a number of variants including grain corrected leathers etc. (i.e. where the layers of leather are cut so thin there is virtually no grain left and it gets stamped back in.

Either way and importantly though the finishing side is the same in that the hides get tanned with colour and a clearcoat is sprayed on top - the only thing these need is regular cleaning and hydration. (not oils etc in "conditioners")

Regarding semi aninline there is a small degree of more breath ability, but either way conditioners should be avoided as in a majority most of the oils etc. cannot be taken in by the leather.

Regarding testing for leather with water put a small spot on the leather to see if it gets absorbed chances are it won't.

In regards to the leather kit from Volvo it contains a Cleaner and sealant cream not a conditioner.

Furthermore, and sorry to pick on the post quoted but LTT and Dr Leather are very good, but neither sell "conditioners" they actually sell sealants. Both of which protect and rehydrate the clearcoat leather.

Biggest "threat" to coated leather comes from jean dye which can break down the coating over time if left to attack it for to long.

Last edited by Ninja59; Nov 9th, 2016 at 14:29.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 13:50   #20
aab203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Let us get one thing straight the leather of most modern cars falls into two categories - Pigmented Coated Leather or Semi Aniline, only RR use Aniline throughout now (Bentley use Aniline for the majority but on less visual touch and feel areas reduce cost for a semi version).

Pigment coated itself has a number of variants itself including grain corrected leathers etc. (i.e. where the layers of leather are cut so thin there is virtually no grain left and it gets stamped back in.

Either way and importantly though the finishing side is the same in that the hides get tanned with colour and a clearcoat is sprayed on top - the only thing these need is regular cleaning and hydration. (not oils etc in "conditioners")

Regarding semi aninline there is a small degree of more breath ability, but either way conditioners should be avoided as in a majority most of the oils etc. cannot be taken in by the leather.

Regarding testing for leather with water put a small spot on the leather to see if it gets absorbed chances are it won't.

In regards to the leather kit from Volvo it contains a Cleaner and sealant cream not a conditioner.

Furthermore, and sorry to pick on the post quoted but LTT and Dr Leather are very good, but neither sell "conditioners" they actually sell sealants. Both of which protect and rehydrate the clearcoat leather.

Biggest "threat" to coated leather comes from jean dye which can break down the coating over time if left to attack it for to long.
Thanks for this info. Which product(s) do you then recommend for cleaning/protecting the XC90 leather?

Last edited by aab203; Nov 9th, 2016 at 13:58.
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote