Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashcam installed Today

Views : 16010

Replies : 160

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 18:13   #1
S60Chris
Master Member

Default Dashcam installed Today

A couple of people asked for pictures - so thought i'd stick them in a new thread rather than them getting lost in the other.

Dashcam and Power Plus box installed in the XC90 today by CBS in Cambridge.

Very tidy install.

View from the drivers seat...

& A quick video to show the view from the position it's mounted in...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Not sure what a dealer would have charged but I paid £40 + VAT which I think is reasonable as it took them a full hour.

Last edited by S60Chris; Mar 2nd, 2017 at 18:16.
S60Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 18:26   #2
aab203

Thanks very much for the photos and videos - good to see the footage from an XC90 itself! Can I go one step further and ask for a night time video whenever you get a chance

Did you choose the location of the dashcam on the windscreen, or leave them to place it? I would have tried to put it higher up and to the left of the Intellisafe housing... but no idea if this is feasible in practice or not.

Also, have you considered a rear dashcam?

Finally, was the power box (or whatever its called) hidden out of sight?
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 19:08   #3
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
Thanks very much for the photos and videos - good to see the footage from an XC90 itself! Can I go one step further and ask for a night time video whenever you get a chance

Did you choose the location of the dashcam on the windscreen, or leave them to place it? I would have tried to put it higher up and to the left of the Intellisafe housing... but no idea if this is feasible in practice or not.

Also, have you considered a rear dashcam?

Finally, was the power box (or whatever its called) hidden out of sight?
Yep - i'll put up a night vid when I get the chance. Wont be tonight as i'm just polishing the remainder of a nice bottle of red

In terms of the positioning, I always place them myself. It's 3M adhesive, so one shot to get it right so I always make sure it's somewhere I am happy with. I played with the position for a little while, and because the lens is really wide any closer to anything and you get incursion into the picture of the intellisafe housing or other parts of the car so this was the closest I could get with a clear unobstructed view.

The Marcus 4 model in the range films in 21:9 aspect ration (which I prefer) and may be easier to place.

The Vico Power Plus box is hidden with the fuse box so completely out of sight. Set and forget. It has numerous options on it, but once it's in it's nothing something I need to mess with.
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 23:10   #4
soupytwister
Master Member

Hah! Watched your dash cam footage for a bit but got more drawn into listening to the stuff about aeroplanes
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 08:06   #5
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Hah! Watched your dash cam footage for a bit but got more drawn into listening to the stuff about aeroplanes
Haha!! It's the APG podcast - http://airlinepilotguy.com - it's a great show.

Pretty much the sole reason for ordering Apple Car Play on the XC90.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 09:28   #6
Torshen

Thanks very much, good to see one mounted in an XC90 for real.

Just on your recompression job, it looks like the bitrate's a little low, quite a lot of blocking on the 1080p stream on that YT vid. Depending on what codec it is (h.264?) you might want to up it to 25mbit/s or so.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 10:08   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
Just on your recompression job, it looks like the bitrate's a little low, quite a lot of blocking on the 1080p stream on that YT vid. Depending on what codec it is (h.264?) you might want to up it to 25mbit/s or so.
Google re-compress vids using their VP9 codec and it seems to introduce additional artefacts. Any vid I've posted on YouTube in HD looks worse than my original.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 10:20   #8
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Google re-compress vids using their VP9 codec and it seems to introduce additional artefacts. Any vid I've posted on YouTube in HD looks worse than my original.
Yep, YT recompress and it will look slightly worse than the original but the blocking on the video above goes a level beyond that and I'd hazard a guess that the intermediate format used was a low bitrate.

But I freely admit to being a digital video nerd. It's my job
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 10:50   #9
NickHoward

The end result looks great.

I do like the videos that dash cams produce - There is something quite cool about documenting the little things that you might see on the road.

However.... I'm not sure I'd ever get used to the size of the dash cam in the middle of the screen - Do you notice it much when you are driving?

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 16:18   #10
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHoward View Post
I'm not sure I'd ever get used to the size of the dash cam in the middle of the screen - Do you notice it much when you are driving?
Can't see it from the drivers seat - it's entirely hidden behind the rear view mirror!