Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aux Question

Views : 3629

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 18:59   #1
Hawki1996

Default Aux Question

Hi, I'm new to the website and owning a Volvo but I had a quick question. I've just bought a 2010 C30 R-Design. I think it has the 6 CD radio unit fitted and the unit only says CD on it where other models say mode. I'm trying to find a way to connect my phone in either through an aux lead, usb or bluetooth but I can't seem to find a firm answer. I'd like to avoid using an FM transmitter or something like a parrot unit, and the best option appears to be the iPod/USB kit I've seen mentioned elsewhere but I don't know if this is compatible with my unit. Any help would be much appreciated!
Hawki1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 20:05   #2
iainmd

Something isn't right there. A 2010 (any model from 2007 onwards) should have Aux and probably USB as well unless it has factory Bluetooth. Certainly by 2010 the waterfall should have a "mode" button instead of "CD". I have the feeling that the previous owner has swapped the centre console from an older car for some reason.

Do you have an aux-in or USB port in the centre console (in the armrest cubby hole)?

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 20:08   #3
Hawki1996

I don't think it has one but I'll take another look, I wouldn't think it's possible to change the console because they're linked to the VIN number aren't they?
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 22:37   #4
Sysyphus

The console/buttons is just a keypad, nothing registered there... however if just that had been swapped out the CD button should swap between CD & AUX.

That said, I have read that the R's from that era were not as well equipped as one might expect when it comes to bells & whistles.

The Volvo USB/iPod kit is expensive, if you can find one, not that easy to install, and does require a software upgrade installed by a dealer.

FM adapter is the only cheap and cheerful way if you have no AUX... Grom and Parrot have their fans, BluePower have an expensive new Android based head-unit replacement in the pipeline, but after the earlier WinCE based one I'm cautious to recommend that until I have seen some hands-on reviews.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 09:27   #5
Hawki1996

Yeah, I’ve seen those options, one thing I asked the Volvo dealership about was whether, because the car has Bluetooth fitted for hands free calling, there was any software which could be added to let the car use the bluetooth connection for music as well
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 09:47   #6
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawki1996 View Post
the car has Bluetooth fitted for hands free calling, there was any software which could be added to let the car use the bluetooth connection for music as well
If you have factory bluetooth for hands free calling, you won't have the Aux and USB. My 2010 V50 is the same. Something about the option for hands free automatically removing the the Aux/USB - maybe both options use the same connector on the back of the head unit or something.

As far as I know, there's no software update to add Bluetooth music - the hardware chip probably doesn't even support it. In back at that time, it was very common for bluetooth in cars (of all brands) to support calls only - people had far fewer devices back then that could stream music by bluetooth.

I've had to resign myself to using an FM transmitter. I use one that broadcasts on 87.5 FM. There's no radio stations in Ireland broadcasting on that frequency, so I've yet to suffer from any interference. My main problem is that all BT FM transmitters have hands free too, which I don't need since the car has it. Sometimes the phone ends up routing a call through the transmitter, when I want it through the car. Otherwise it works very well for me.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:05   #7
coupi

Buy yourself one of these - https://www.incarconnections.co.uk/v...-adapters.html

And buy a longer (mine was 5m) RCA to AUX cable to route to the front (armrest, behind waterfall or wherever else you like).
coupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:43   #8
Hawki1996

I've seen those but I wasn't sure if it'd be better than the FM transmitters for the car socket, isn't it just a wired in one of those? Do you have any experience using one of them?
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 12:46   #9
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by phutyle View Post
My main problem is that all BT FM transmitters have hands free too, which I don't need since the car has it. Sometimes the phone ends up routing a call through the transmitter, when I want it through the car. Otherwise it works very well for me.
If you use an Android phone you can choose per Bluetooth paired device what it can and cannot be used for. If you get an FM transmitter that pairs to your phone via bluetooth you can, for the FM transmitter's connection, disable call/phone audio and enable audio/media. That would solve it.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 14:28   #10
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
If you use an Android phone you can choose per Bluetooth paired device what it can and cannot be used for. If you get an FM transmitter that pairs to your phone via bluetooth you can, for the FM transmitter's connection, disable call/phone audio and enable audio/media. That would solve it.
Yeah, unfortunately I'm on an iPhone, which doesn't have such a feature. Sounds like Android have the solution alright, mabe Apple will catch up at some point. It's not that big a problem, I suppose I'd just like the setup to be cleaner and not doing anything that's not needed.

Last week I bought a BT FM transmitter that claimed not to do hands free, but it turned out the manufacturer recently updated it to include a mic, so I ended up with the new version I didn't want. Turns out it's FM transmission wasn't a good as the one I already have anyway. I can return it, so it's no biggie.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aux, c30, radio