Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mpg and injectors

Views : 795

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 18:21   #1
osullivant

Default Mpg and injectors

I have a 2006 185 d5 xc90

After getting several thousand miles on the car I am now happy that I have resolved all of the original issues (using oil, blocking DPF no 4 wheel drive, ... etc etc)

Now I am gettimg greedy... The best I can get on a long run is an average of 10l per 100kms.

In the past I got better mileage and have always been good at getting the last out of a gallon of fuel when required.

I think my injectors need some attention, I have a full set of 163 injectors from a 03 s60... I realise these might not be optimal but would they function, if so an improvement or even a less than expected reduction in performance would indicate that my current injectors are the fault.

the cost of new injectors seems excessive, there are several possibilities as regards refurbishing but am a bit dubious at the offerings and I wonder are the stories just hocus pocus

I was quoted silly money just to check mine, with substantially more if they need work, with no guarantee that any difference would be even noticeable.

apologies if I asked this before,,,

Tony.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 18:40   #2
JRL
Master Member

My 185 only started giving me decent mileage once the DPF was removed as I couldn't get it fixed. Sits now at about 35 round town and 43 or so on the open road. These engines are thirsty compared to the previous generation so I wouldn't expect too much.

I just ignore it now!
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 21:24   #3
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
My 185 only started giving me decent mileage once the DPF was removed as I couldn't get it fixed. Sits now at about 35 round town and 43 or so on the open road. These engines are thirsty compared to the previous generation so I wouldn't expect too much.

I just ignore it now!
I was getting better mileage when the Tappets were bad and the thing was relying on crude around the pistons for compression and it was burning oil and firing gunk into the dpf...

I used to get 50mpg on my old s60, the 90 is a bigger bus but I still ought to get 35ish on a long run....
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 21:57   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

The injectors for the euro 4 engines came with additional holes in the nozzle for better fuel distribution within the cylinders (for various reasons). Fitting euro 3 injectors could cause issues with engine running, fuel economy and DPF regenerations. I'd try some Liqui Moly diesel purge before anything else to see if it makes a difference.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 23:17   #5
osullivant

Recently discovered timing was a bit out. Once set using tools car was much better, although it still seemed to be using too much fuel. But seemed to be improving...

Then missus put a litre and a half of petrol and 10 litres of diesel into it...

Car is running sweeter. Seems to be burning much less fuel and very responsive..

I also think the issue may be part transmission... now that the weather is colder o think the atf is maintaining viscosity better.

When I bought the car it had bad shifting. I drained the atf and put in an esso type which was recommended in the past by a race team mechanic...

The tranny was immediately better and only when I was going to tow a jeep on a trailer did I drain this and out in the jws3309 spec from mannol. This never seemed so good once the first 1000mls were done...

I may go back to the LT 71141...

But I think the petrol made a difference... probably would have had same success with liquimolly..No chance of a long run for 2 weeks but definitely better fuelwise around the city...