Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fixing Air Conditioning: OEM or aftermarket compressor

Views : 1257

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 16:54   #1
haymitch

Default Fixing Air Conditioning: OEM or aftermarket compressor

Does anyone know if the extra cost of an Volvo OEM compressor is worth it?

I've finally bitten the bullet and getting the air conditioning fixed on my Volvo 940. Took it to the garage today and after the air conditioning service said that the compressor is leaking. They quoted me £250 to replace the the AC compressor with an aftermarket Prasco Compressor. I've asked to be quoted for the same job using the Volvo OEM compressor as well (I can see this costs £390 on Skandix - nice and pricy).

I'm planning on keeping the car for a while so I'd rather pay the higher price if an aftermarket one would fail quickly. I budgeted £1200 a year on repairs and maintenance of the car and have only spent £550 in a year. Far less than the £1440 a year I pay back for the loan on my tiny Skoda Citigo - so I've decided the old beast needs some love
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 17:14   #2
volvo always
Premier Member

I would go for the one with the longest warranty and cheapest price. £250 is cheap to buy a new compressor and fit it. My used compressor cost £60 to remove and install newer one and £60 to re-gas.

I got my AC working on my 1996 940 and my AC Condenser was leaking and the compressor. There is a company in the UK that can rebuild your original compressor for 180+vat.
I installed a new nissens condenser for £63 off ebay. It was a pig to get the old clamp removed that holds the 2 ac pipes to the condenser. Drilling, cutting, hammer, chisel and cursing over several attempts over a few weeks!

I got lucky and bought a used one off Ebay for £30 with 60 day warranty. Fitted last summer and still working so far!
I kept the old one to have the option or refurbishing it. When all fitted and re gassed no leaks then a few days later a bit of moisture around the ac clamp. Next time I re-gas I'll change the Volvo o rings to some new ones again!

AC has been lovely to have in this hot and humid weather.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 06:28   #3
mjk164
VOC Member

Mitch, I would ask how they know the compressor is leaking; did they put dye into the system and see a leak there?
On the 940 and 960, pipes from the condenser (next to the radiator) and the pump, go to the receiver/drier and are attached to the top of the chassis rail with rubber lined "P" clips. These clips are exposed to road salt and the dampness will secretly eat into the aluminium pipe covered by the clip over time and is a favorite place for leaks to start. Release them and have a look. If they are damaged or suspect, replace the pipe with a new one.
Once you get the system sorted, my advise is to continuously (or regularly) run the A/C and that will keep the various "O" rings in the system lubricated and should arrest early failure. My 1993 960, I sorted the A/C about 10 years ago and has run ever since with just one maintenance charge. The rubber pipes in the system anyway will slowly leak over time i.e several years.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:00   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
Mitch, I would ask how they know the compressor is leaking; did they put dye into the system and see a leak there?
On the 940 and 960, pipes from the condenser (next to the radiator) and the pump, go to the receiver/drier and are attached to the top of the chassis rail with rubber lined "P" clips. These clips are exposed to road salt and the dampness will secretly eat into the aluminium pipe covered by the clip over time and is a favorite place for leaks to start. Release them and have a look. If they are damaged or suspect, replace the pipe with a new one.
Once you get the system sorted, my advise is to continuously (or regularly) run the A/C and that will keep the various "O" rings in the system lubricated and should arrest early failure. My 1993 960, I sorted the A/C about 10 years ago and has run ever since with just one maintenance charge. The rubber pipes in the system anyway will slowly leak over time i.e several years.
What he said ^^^^^^^!!! Also where did you take it and are they qualified to tell the difference between a leaky compressor and a leaky "O" ring?
Also are there any clues that they might have a vested interest in selling a new compressor and all that entails?

Volvo don't make their own A/C compressors but buy them in from various manufacturers and the chances are you have either a Zexel or a Sanden compressor at present. Can't say i've heard of Prasco so can't comment good, bad or indifferent but might be worth talking to other air-con places to see if they've heard of them, reputation etc.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 15:20   #5
haymitch

Thanks for the help - sounds like the main issue is that the compressor might not fix the problem (assuming I'm getting honest advice and that it's required ).

I'll ask the guy at the garage about whether they tried to use dye in the system. The garage is Swedish Car Connection in Cambridge - everything online suggests they've got a good reputation, but I've not used them before. I'm not getting any hard sell from them which is a good sign.

I've been having problems getting mechanics to look at the Volvo - I don't think many garages like working on it anymore. I've used two other places in Cambridge which always give a lead time of 3 weeks when I ask for them to look at it. Strangely enough when I bring in my other car they can fit me in in 2 days When they do the work they do it well - I just think they're making too much money from their work on modern cars!!!

Hence I've decided to try and do some basic servicing myself so I know at least the basics are being done right and then go from there!

Last edited by haymitch; Aug 9th, 2018 at 16:05.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 15:54   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
Thanks for the help - sounds like the main issue is that the compressor might not fix the problem (assuming I'm getting honest advice and that it's required ).

I'll ask the guy at the garage about whether they tried to use dye in the system. The garage is Swedish Car Connection in Cambridge - everything online suggests they've got a good reputation, but I've not used them before. I'm not getting any hard sell from them which is a good sign.

I've been having problems getting mechanics to look at the Volvo - I don't think many garages like working on it anymore. I've used two other places in Cambridge which always give a lead times of 3 weeks when I ask for them to look at it. Strangely enough when I bring in my other car they can fit me in in 2 days When they do the work they do it well - I just think they're making too much money from their work on modern cars!!!

Hence I've decided to try and do some basic servicing myself so I know at least the basics are being done right and then go from there!
That's one of the troubles with an older car, finding somewhere that knows enough about them to do the job right!

On my non-Volvo car (Rover 827) there is a specific procedure for fitting rear pads and if it's not adhered to, the handbrake won't work and eventually, neither will the rear brakes plus the caliper will seize. There are several other foibles on it as well, just used that as one example.

There are many similar foibles on older Volvos that can cause problems that would be dismissed by modern "mechanics" as not worth investigating then charge you for a whole string of parts and it still wouldn't be right. Eventually they might remember you mentioning the foible in question, try it and hey presto, problem solved!

Then they can't charge for all the parts and labour so they try to avoid the problem in the first place. Someone who may be able to help you with yours are :

http://www.kingsofwitcham.co.uk/

They have a fairly good reputation and are (or at least were) used to working on older Volvos so you might be luckier there than with that one in Cambridge.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 11:45   #7
TurnipSpeed
TurnipSpeed

Slightly off topic, but CBW Autos, Leechmere industrial Estate near
Sunderland is my local.
Ex Volvo mechanic who loves the cars, for anyone in NE England.
TurnipSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurnipSpeed For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:31   #8
haymitch

That matches up with my experience Laird Scooby - that's a shame. Before I bought the Volvo I naively thought that mechanics would enjoy working on it I'll think I'll get a quote from the place in Cambridge and go from there. Thanks for pointing out Kings of Witcham though that's in each reach of where I live.

It's actually the condenser rather than the compressor that needs replacing (my fault - got mixed up). I don't know if that changes anything?

I tried getting the car on ramps today at a relative's house on a day off work as a precursor to doing a basic oil and filter change. Managed getting the car up on them okay but it didn't look safe so I didn't get under them. I think I need to move house to somewhere with a good driveway / garage if I can persuade my other half
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 12:57   #9
volvo always
Premier Member

The Nissens condenser off ebay fits really well. I also have one in my Lexus.

For my 1996 940 LPT cost £63. Hope your bolt that secures the pipes comes out easily, mine was a nightmare to re-use clamp. Clamp not available now from Volvo when I enquired and USA one different apparently.

If you have a coolcar franchise near you they would test the system at your home and regas once new condenser is installed.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 15:13   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haymitch View Post
That matches up with my experience Laird Scooby - that's a shame. Before I bought the Volvo I naively thought that mechanics would enjoy working on it I'll think I'll get a quote from the place in Cambridge and go from there. Thanks for pointing out Kings of Witcham though that's in each reach of where I live.

It's actually the condenser rather than the compressor that needs replacing (my fault - got mixed up). I don't know if that changes anything?

I tried getting the car on ramps today at a relative's house on a day off work as a precursor to doing a basic oil and filter change. Managed getting the car up on them okay but it didn't look safe so I didn't get under them. I think I need to move house to somewhere with a good driveway / garage if I can persuade my other half
I think you've hit the nail well and truly on the head by changing the emphasis on certain words in your sentence - "I naively thought that mechanics would enjoy working on it " - real "old skool" mechanics would and would also know most of the little foibles or at least where to find out about them.

If Kings of Witcham can't sort you out, a little further afield is Hylton Gott (Main Dealers) at Crimplesham, very close to Downham Market. I'm sure they have an older guy there who knows the 7/9xx range inside-out, upside-down, back-to-front and any other oddball dimensional references you'd care to throw at him. They also do (or at least did) cheaper "menu servicing" for older models, fairly sure they still do. They're also very much a family firm and actually love the cars they sell, service and supply parts for.

As for the condenser leaking, sadly it's much more common than a compressor leaking and also much easier to spot. The condenser is the radiator-like animal sat in front of the cooling radiator in the engine bay so while it protects the cooling radiator from low flying stones etc that would cause stone chips on bodywork, that in turn means it suffers.

Fortunately they're relatively cheap. However if it has been leaking, it would be a very wise move to have a new reciever/dryer installed at the same time, these again are a relatively cheap, service item and keep the moisture within the system in one place so you can't get frozen drops of condensation blocking pipes etc.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSENS-A...5/122212644195

In simple terms, you know the little sachets if silicone dessicant that you find in the bottom of the box after unpacking something electronic? It's full of the same sort of stuff and traps any moisture in the system. Obviously the moisture builds up in them so they need replacing eventually but particularly so if the system has been open to the atmosphere from a leak for example.

There appears to be a choice of several condensers available for the 940, not sure which model you have exactly so here's the ebay list in ascending order of price :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...enser&_sacat=0

Sure you can find the right one there.

If you look at your fridge in your kitchen, you can see how your air-con works. The condenser on the back (the bit that gets warm) is the condenser in your car in front of the radiator, the evaporator in the back of the fridge inside that gets cold is the evaporator (like a second heater matrix) inside the heater box, before the actual heater matrix in terms of airflow.
The compressor at the bottom of your fridge at the back is similar in function to the engine driven compressor in your car.

Brief explanation of the function, the compressor compresses the refrigerant gas into a liquid and pumps it through the small bore pipes (HP or High Pressure side) to the evaporator, often through a TXV - Thermostatic Expansion Valve which controls how quickly the liquid is allowed into the evaporator where it errr........ evaporates! This evaporation is due to the fact it can expand but to do that it needs heat which it takes from the surrounding area, whether that's the heater box or the fridge, or even your freezer.
The compressor then sucks the gas back in and compresses it into a liquid again.
The thermostat in your fridge or Climate Control Pack in the car controls the compressor switching in and out.

That is the basic explanation for any air conditioning system, including the "split-charge" systems used (mainly) commercially not only as cooling but for heating as well by using valves to swap the relative positions/functions of the evaporator and condenser - they're both glorified radiators after all so their functions can be swapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
The Nissens condenser off ebay fits really well. I also have one in my Lexus.

For my 1996 940 LPT cost £63. Hope your bolt that secures the pipes comes out easily, mine was a nightmare to re-use clamp. Clamp not available now from Volvo when I enquired and USA one different apparently.

If you have a coolcar franchise near you they would test the system at your home and regas once new condenser is installed.

James
That might be an option James, thanks!

https://www.coolcaraircon.co.uk/contact-us/cambridge/

There is one as it happens, that should link to them!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: