Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electronic parking brake would not release

Views : 656

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2024, 23:42   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Well the car was fine all day - although I didn't use the handbrake at all. But when I got home this evening I put the parking brake on and now it's well and truly jammed. I'm pretty certain that it's the nearside that's stuck.

I took the wheel off and had a look, and tried to dismantle things, but it's just beyond my limited skills and tools. One of the two screws holding the motor came out, but the other is well and truly seized. Beyond this, I can see that the motor housing is cracked, so I wonder if moisture has entered and caused the motor to seize up?

Anyway, I can't move it, and so it's the AA who'll be here in the morning, and unless the AA can fix it, a recovery to Dyrdals in York. They are open tomorrow, although I doubt that they'll be able to fix it on the day.

Heigh-ho!

Jack
Sounds like that was your problem all along… cracked housing could have let moisture in, causing it to seize. I’m sure Drydals will fix it… Another one of those things I guess!

As Graham mentioned above, EPB issues were very common when this model came out. I prefer a standard handbrake too, but nearly all modern cars are electronic.

I understand what you mean about going back to something older, but as you say, those cars will likely have problems too. They aren’t getting any younger. That in itself can be a worry.
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 10:32   #12
capt jack
VOC Member

Thanks Kev

The AA arrived this morning, the patrol man has dismantled the nearside rear brake, diagnosed a seized caliper - plus the EPB motor casing is cracked.

He's gone through to York to get a replacement which he's going to fit later this morning.

So I'm going to be £300 poorer, but the car will be fixed today, on the drive, without me having to get it to a garage, I won't need to puzzle out how to get to work on Monday, and I don't need to get my hands dirty.

A new calliper and motor from PartsforVolvo online would be over £200, and I'd have to order it, wait for it, and fit it myself one evening in the week. Plus the hassle of bleeding the brakes. So fingers crossed all will be well.

Thanks to all for the interest and input.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2024, 21:55   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

All sorted.

The AA tech was absolutely excellent, and everything is fine. On closer inspection the verdict is that the calliper was seized, or possibly only just moving, to the point where the action of the motor wasn't moving the pads properly and the torque in effect cracked the plastic casing, which then caused the brake to jam on.

On close inspection the rubber dust seal around the piston was torn, and so we guessed that moisture had got in and had started to cause the piston to seize.

Anyway, a new calliper and motor has sorted it, and top marks to the AA man who was happy to fetch the part (a 50-mile round trip) and fit it on the driveway.

He said that it made a nice change actually to find a mechanical problem and fix it, rather than read a computer fault code and end up towing the affected car to a dealer! In all he spent around 4 hours diagnosing, fetching parts and fitting. He was able to interface with the car and read and clear fault codes.

Funny but I almost cancelled the AA membership at last renewal, and boy am I glad that I decided to keep it!

Jack
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 09:46   #14
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Thanks Kev

The AA arrived this morning, the patrol man has dismantled the nearside rear brake, diagnosed a seized caliper - plus the EPB motor casing is cracked.

He's gone through to York to get a replacement which he's going to fit later this morning.

So I'm going to be £300 poorer, but the car will be fixed today, on the drive, without me having to get it to a garage, I won't need to puzzle out how to get to work on Monday, and I don't need to get my hands dirty.

A new calliper and motor from PartsforVolvo online would be over £200, and I'd have to order it, wait for it, and fit it myself one evening in the week. Plus the hassle of bleeding the brakes. So fingers crossed all will be well.

Thanks to all for the interest and input.

Cheers

Jack
That is unbelievable service...Makes me consider adding the "at home" section to my cover when it comes renewal time..

Cheers
Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 21:31   #15
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
That is unbelievable service.
I completely agree Bob, absolutely brilliant service. I costed it all up, and for me to buy the parts from PartsforVolvo online would have been over £220.

From the local Eurocarparts the calliper assembly complete is £140. But the only ECP with stock was a 50-mile round trip away. So on that basis, 4 hours of a tech's time cost me around £160 - or £40 an hour. And all I had to do was make him a cup of coffee! And did I mention that the AA arrived at half eight on a Saturday morning, after my call to them at 9pm on Friday evening.

Previously we were with GEM recovery, but all they'll do is send a man with a flat bed truck and recover the car for you. We pay the AA £27 per month for complete cover for four cars and four drivers, and based on this experience, that seems like good value.

Yep, right now the AA are my new heroes!

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Apr 7th, 2024 at 21:36.
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 22:00   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

Nice to hear the problem was sorted successfully.

Sounds like the AA man was a gent and your subscription to them was worth its weight in gold.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 09:07   #17
apersson850
Premier Member

I remove the parking brake motor for inspection and to be able to move the piston at each wheel replacement. Which in this country is twice a year, summer/winter and winter/summer.
This means that the screws holding the motor are still the original ones, after 13 years and 410000 km. They can be removed without any problem.
A small amount of grease on the seal makes it even tighter. The interior of my motor/gear/jack for the parking brake is still clean as new.

Preventive manintenance has its value.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote