Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Had rica s60 d5 sports map

Views : 2318

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2009, 22:43   #1
THOMO

Default Had rica s60 d5 sports map

THE CAR 163 (54)I have done some miles since i had it done now.I now feel i can make some honest comments.Ive had a lot of cars ive tuned over the years evos , scoobys etc and i must say this tune has had the greatest increase on a stage 1 tune.3rd 4th 5th gears have had a huge increase indeed.The economy is better i would say up by 3mpg maybe more as i have been driving it a little harder (torque buzz).I do have a S60 T5 (now running right big thanks to hamish) and theres no way it would keep up with a S60 T5 from a standing start as 1st and 2nd gear is to short.On the other hand from 60 - 110 it would be close .The torque is that good that in 4th gear at 30 mph it starts to accelerate like it was in second gear on the standard map.

method: rica sports map

result :amazing increase in performance

conclusion :get one dont be shy .
THOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to THOMO For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 05:58   #2
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMO View Post
THE CAR 163 (54)I have done some miles since i had it done now.I now feel i can make some honest comments.Ive had a lot of cars ive tuned over the years evos , scoobys etc and i must say this tune has had the greatest increase on a stage 1 tune.3rd 4th 5th gears have had a huge increase indeed.The economy is better i would say up by 3mpg maybe more as i have been driving it a little harder (torque buzz).I do have a S60 T5 (now running right big thanks to hamish) and theres no way it would keep up with a S60 T5 from a standing start as 1st and 2nd gear is to short.On the other hand from 60 - 110 it would be close .The torque is that good that in 4th gear at 30 mph it starts to accelerate like it was in second gear on the standard map.

method: rica sports map

result :amazing increase in performance

conclusion :get one dont be shy .
Thats good news another happy Rica customer

Russ
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 08:35   #3
Speedy

I'm thinking about getting mine done too. I emailed RT Mechanics (which now i know is Russ) and even through an email i felt he was being honest. I wonder how quickly he could fit me in?, whilst the missus in on holiday
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 17:21   #4
dcorless

Anyone know if the Rica PPC is available with sportstune version for 163hp euro 3 D5 engine..........cannot justify going for the standard map if i know this is an option

After all the money I have spent on this car (see my other posts but they are boring and long so dont bother) i am going to make sure that it knows i am annoyed with it and beef it up a little.

cheers
dcorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:25   #5
MileMuncher
S60 D5 Sport RICA'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorless View Post
Anyone know if the Rica PPC is available with sportstune version for 163hp euro 3 D5 engine..........cannot justify going for the standard map if i know this is an option

After all the money I have spent on this car (see my other posts but they are boring and long so dont bother) i am going to make sure that it knows i am annoyed with it and beef it up a little.

cheers
Yes it is.

I was going to go for that option, but decided to stick with the standard RICA remap.

There have been users who have had problems when running the sports tune, if you search on here you'll find lots of info. Im sure there are people out there who have not had problems, but i opted for the standard remap 'just incase' - IMO is quick enough.

I'm due to record a vid showing the performance of mine, its a shame that on youtube, the only D5 vids are Hieco ones and auto' boxes, there are none with RICA remaps and manual boxes.

Hopefully i will get round to doing it soon.
MileMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 16:03   #6
dcorless

Many Thanks - so any ideas where is the best place to get one of these from?? I like the idea of the PPC unit as opposed to going somewhere to get it done.

I am hoping the sportstune map does not cost anymore than standard ???

cheers
dcorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 09:56   #7
MileMuncher
S60 D5 Sport RICA'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorless View Post
Many Thanks - so any ideas where is the best place to get one of these from?? I like the idea of the PPC unit as opposed to going somewhere to get it done.

I am hoping the sportstune map does not cost anymore than standard ???

cheers
Pretty sure the RICA maps are the same price.

Honestly i would go for the standard map, the stories from others regarding the sport map seriously put me off, plus the standard map is quick enough!

When i first had mine mapped i was hooning it allover for the first tank, the DIM was still showing 37MPG on average too (i know its not 100% accurate).

its seriously good on the motorway too aswell as normal roads, it just loves the motorway

Speak to Russ on here he'll hook you up.

Last edited by MileMuncher; Jul 31st, 2009 at 09:59.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:25   #8
MileMuncher
S60 D5 Sport RICA'd

Hes a few of my older posts (Before name change):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrant1285
I received my RICA PPC unit from Russ @ RT for my S60 D5 Manual.

I am well happy with the results, more torque, and the standard ‘torque band’ has now been extended right round the rev counter, pretty much to the redline (which is quite unbelievable for a Diesel). Previously, 2nd gear was the best gear for torque and power, but now I personally think both 3rd, 4th and 5th are now ahead of 2nd in terms of pull and speed. Its like a different car, still excellent to drive, there is no uncontrollable ‘kick’ in the power, it is just great power and smooth delivery. Since Sat ive been mixing it up really, on occasions, booting the arse off it, some little dice’s with the power and other parts just normal (economical driving). The lowest I had the average consumption down to was 38mpg (according to the DIM). Its now back up to 40mpg. It really does seem like its improved economy, but I will hold judgement until ive used this tank up.

On the motorway in 5th, the torque is excellent. You can sit at 70mph, and floor it – it pulls to 120 with no effort whatsoever.

I'm considering finding a Private piece of land and recording a run from 0-100mph as standard and then doing it again with the remap and recording it, i think the difference will be easily seen.

My dad and his mate have both had a drive, and they’ve been extremely impressed!!

My dad has a T5 C70 and were are going to compare them both side-to-side when we get time, to be honest, i had used the C70 for a few weeks and I think that it’ll be close to about 100mph or so. I think by the time the power in the T5 has kicked in, the D5 will have pulled a lead. But we will see.

The map I ordered was the Standard D5 RICA map, the sport map is not required IMO.

3 word summary……..Worth The Cash.
Quote:
Well, like above, i was keen to test my RICA'd D5 against my dads C70 T5. We have just done this, one was from a stopped start (he was behind me) and we nailed them both, by the time the power kicked in on the T5 i was gone, he said that he just couldnt catch me.

The second one was from a rolling speed of about 20 mph, again, by the time the T5 started to pick its feet up i had gone, i was pulling away from him slightly. I was shocked to be honest, i used that T5 for bout a week and it felt VERY quick, my dad also said that he was expecting to have to shut off once he'd caught me up, even though he's driven my D5 since the RICA.

Just goes to show, once RICA'd they really do shift. I think the T5 feels alot faster due to the tone of the engine, but you can't dismiss the D5 with a RICA.

I think the T5 in question is the 240hp version, still...its a T5

To sum up, i'm quite shocked, but happy