Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to rear pad replacement with EPB

Views : 23953

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2014, 20:34   #21
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petermollerhansen View Post
Yesterday I changed discs, pads and a wheel bearing on my V70 2008 (3).

I managed to rewind the two pistons simply by unplugging the electrical motor and connecting the two poles with a separate 12v car battery. You will see that the piston start rotating when the spindle has reached the end. Afterwards you can press the piston back as usual.

When activating the handbrake afterwards you can hear that the two motors run som extra time to reach the pads again.

There is no need for the special tool :-)
I can now confirm this as well. I used the 12V battery pack from my impact driver and connected it directly to the two terminals on the EPB (after having unplugged the EPB, of course). The first time I attempted it I had it backwards so it actually put the EPB on. I then was unable to take it off without turning the car back on and turning them off normally. Once I did this I was able to go back and reverse the poles of my two connections and the EPRB rewound without issue. You'll know you have it right when you hear the brake rewind for an extended period of time...say 5sec. As Peter indicated (above) no need for a special tool here nor is there a need to take the EPB apart. This is good news given the recommendation by VIDA to replace the seals on the EPB each time you open it up!

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 22:13   #22
Gazzamit

With handbrake off a 9v PP3 battery can retract motor in approx 30s. (Swap polarity if it stops after a few seconds as it's moved the wrong way). To open epb connector - use small screwdriver in catch and push in from side. It really easy to disconnect when you get it right - it clicks and slides apart.
Gazzamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 23:06   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzamit View Post
With handbrake off a 9v PP3 battery can retract motor in approx 30s. (Swap polarity if it stops after a few seconds as it's moved the wrong way). To open epb connector - use small screwdriver in catch and push in from side. It really easy to disconnect when you get it right - it clicks and slides apart.
a 9 volt PP9 has enough energy in it to run a 12 volt 20 A motor for 30 seconds? I simply can't believe it ..
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 02:22   #24
DrLeadBasedPaint

Default 2014 XC60 Rear Brake Pads

Folks, I have an Autel ESB301 which is supposed to handle the Electronic Parking Brake for Volvo, but it only goes up to 2012. No Volvo update exists for the devices, so I feel screwed. I've tried the 2012 setting and the device says that the function is not available.

I don't want to tear up my car and I can't afford to have the Volvo dealer do the job right now.

How do I go about doing this job *without* an electronic parking brake tool?

Please HELP!!!
DrLeadBasedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 08:45   #25
V70Zig
Master Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLeadBasedPaint View Post

Please HELP!!!
You will find the answer in this thread

Passed away - 1999 V70 2.5tdi Auto 340632 miles, RIP.
V70Zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 09:23   #26
I-S
Premier Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206272
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2016, 09:53   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLeadBasedPaint View Post
Folks, I have an Autel ESB301 which is supposed to handle the Electronic Parking Brake for Volvo, but it only goes up to 2012. No Volvo update exists for the devices, so I feel screwed. I've tried the 2012 setting and the device says that the function is not available.

I don't want to tear up my car and I can't afford to have the Volvo dealer do the job right now.

Please HELP!!!
Easy , just follow the instructions which come with your volvo brake pads ...!
Old Jun 26th, 2016, 16:07   #28
AlanB

Plenty of info in this thread and (in another thread) the posts leading up to this http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...2&postcount=23 (assuming, of course, similarities to the V70 phase 3)
AlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 18:03   #29
severnsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes there is an instruction leaflet in with new volvo rear pads
Just done mine too. The instruction leaflet was fine. The chap at the dealer's parts department told me it was a complicated job and that I would need to take the car in to have the electronics reset....... well, there has been no need for that at all on my 2009 V70.
severnsider is offline   Reply With Quote