Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New shape S80 slight Hick up

Views : 1521

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 15:11   #1
PeteS80

Exclamation New shape S80 slight Hick up

Just bought my first Volvo after my previous car got written off, I wanted to feel safer

I checked the boot for a spare wheel and found a compressor in its place.

I started to look around for a spare only to find new S80 didn't fit old S80

Does it follow that Old S80 wheels will not fit new S80 ?

I decided to take my wheel off to check the size (printed on rim ?)

First issue, the wheel wrench is cast aluminium and barley managed to remove 5 nuts, I recommend everyone who carries a spare wheel puts a more substantial one in the boot now.

Next issue having removed the nuts was the wheel is corroded on the rusty hub, I could have taken a sledge hammer to it but part of my exercise was to complete the wheel change as a road side dry run.

I didn't want to kick it as the jack didn't look as substantial as one out of an Argos Bob the builder set.

Is there a technique to getting the wheel off ?

Is there any point in carrying a space saver if the wheels are stuck on ( car a year old, what will it be like after 5 years).

Is there room in the wheel well for a full size wheel ?

Sorry to post so many petty questions, replies to any or all would be helpful please, especially if anyone happens to know the tech spec and size of a 17 inch wheel.

2007 S80 SE Lux D5
PeteS80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 18:07   #2
Kobe

agree about the toolkits.. if you are going to change the wheels yourself, at least take them off at home and tighten with the tool you expect to use.. I normally have a socket and an extendable bar.

the wheels can sometimes get stuck on the hub, it doesn't have to be rusty to be jammed on.

normally what I would do is kick it off - but only if the car is properly supported and so on. Otherwise a rubber mallet can usually do the job.

XC70 D5 SE Sport (MY2008)
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 21:39   #3
Mercmanuk

You could whip off the wheels and copper grease the studs and hubs so they come off easier if need be, if the wheel/wheels get stuck and they can sometimes and sods law dictates your on a hard shoulder then it would be well worth the trouble now.

reagards Mark
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 21:51   #4
S60D5NI

Just be mindful if you grease the wheel bolts, the torque settings will be different. Most torque's are quoted for a dry male / female thread so if you lubricate them it follows the torque will be less for the same degree of bolt tightness / stretch.

Agree with Mercmanuk that a smear of copaslip on the hub mounting rings and flange faces is a good idea. Make sure everthing is clean though as any dirt will obviously stick to the copaslip!

If you are really stuck on the hard shoulder, would suggest refitting the bolts but leave them a few turns loose then lower the car off the jack and the rock the wheel. This should be enough to break the joint without risk of car falling off the jack.

Last edited by S60D5NI; Oct 26th, 2008 at 21:55.
S60D5NI is offline   Reply With Quote