Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTI MMM2 satnav (MY8-11) not being updated

Views : 18636

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2016, 21:16   #21
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
Map update is rumoured for Q3 2016...at which point I'll buy a disc from eBay.

The standard interface is pretty rubbish and the routing questionable. If I can get a disc from eBay I will, if not I won't lose any sleep over it.
Yeah, I heard that rumour, but it's still a while till Q3 or Q4 as some people said, and nothing is for sure.

Firstly I was thinking about removing original RTI screen and replacing it with any same screen size sat nav, but unfortunately I would loose control functions.

My next thought was to modify map files from original discs, then found this shop and just thinking if they managed to do it. Not a lot of money if could save a time I would have to spend with 4 discs.
I don't mind simple interface, to be honest I'm finding it less distracting than more complicated ones. Don't mind routing as well, as I know routes in Europe pretty well. The thing is, that during long trips, if I'm talking to somebody, or just listening to music and I'm thoughtful, sometimes I can miss the turn, for example. And OEM sat nav with voice guide over the music is something what is bringing back my attention, so I would like to have up-to-date maps, just in case

Edit: Purchased full set from them, will provide some info when will receive them if someone is interested with.

Last edited by mantee78; Mar 29th, 2016 at 22:33.
mantee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 19:14   #22
oldairbear

Hi I responded to a new thread started by Raddish on 5th March 2016 at 2150. Which was headed Sar Nav. My posts are no 14 & 15. I wish I was clever enough to make a direct link but I'm afraid I am not that clever. Those posts link into Volvo mapping and Volvo support to show latest update was in 2013 and an update is expected in Q4 2016 on Volvo support pages. The discs listed as 2016 I suspect are copies of the 2013 discs. Please ask them which Volvo code the discs relate to. I am sure The latest mmm2 discs end 666 as per the links in my post mentioned above
I apologise that you will have to go off thread to find it.
oldairbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 22:35   #23
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldairbear View Post
Hi I responded to a new thread started by Raddish on 5th March 2016 at 2150. Which was headed Sar Nav. My posts are no 14 & 15. I wish I was clever enough to make a direct link but I'm afraid I am not that clever. Those posts link into Volvo mapping and Volvo support to show latest update was in 2013 and an update is expected in Q4 2016 on Volvo support pages. The discs listed as 2016 I suspect are copies of the 2013 discs. Please ask them which Volvo code the discs relate to. I am sure The latest mmm2 discs end 666 as per the links in my post mentioned above
I apologise that you will have to go off thread to find it.
No worries, I did read that another one, too

I doubt that set of discs I ordered is OEM set. I have the latest 2013 OEM set, with different part number, replacing that one ending 666 (as volvo says), but maps are still 2012. I suspect that 2016 discs are modified the way I was thinking to do it, by modify map files only. Well, will know for sure soon. I paid via PayPal using buyer protection pay after delivery option. It gives me 14 days till PayPal will take money off my account, enough time to return discs if they're not with 2016 maps as said.
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 00:27   #24
mantee78

Yesterday received new set of discs. As I suspected there are not OEM discs, but modificated in the way I thought. In place on A1 where on 2013 maps was round about, now is straight dual carriageway with a junction, so definitely they're newer maps, but had no chance to check them on any long distance. Routing is ok, with "fast" routing option it choosed the route I preferred and also google maps choosed it as the best one.
I'm not 100% sure but I think that guide graphics are a bit better designed. Have to double check that next time will drive.
Only thing what doesn't work with new maps is that sat nav doesn't store locations anymore. Don't know if it's the DVD unit issue or updated software. Had no time to work it out yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to mantee78 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 19:16   #25
mantee78

Forgot to copy/paste some info from seller's email about discs:

Latest discs which was released at March 2016 and it using database of map of the 2015 year. Next edition will be released at March 2017 and will be using database of 2016 year. The latest official Volvo map is using database of 2013 year. Volvo not support your unit anymore since 2013 year. Our disc is direct from Denso corporation which is fit navigation unit to the Volvo models.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 00:43   #26
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

In all honesty, I suspect that any 3rd party SatNav is going to be better and more up-to-date that the Volvo system - once decried as the "worst system in the world"!

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever been able to add front/rear cams to operate through the screen!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 11:20   #27
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

In all honesty, I suspect that any 3rd party SatNav is going to be better and more up-to-date that the Volvo system - once decried as the "worst system in the world"!

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever been able to add front/rear cams to operate through the screen!

Des. . .
True, but I'm not a fan of sticking multiple devices to the windscreen/dashboard, I have a dash cam already, then I should have another sat nav when I have OEM screen on the middle of dashboard, lot of cables, not enough sockets to power all of them together with mobile phone in long trips. That's the reason I want the OEM sat nav working, and I don't have big expectations from. I need only up to date maps and I'm happy with simple, not distracting graphics, not overloaded with details. I'm an old school lorry driver and I'm using road signs for directions, sat nav is only "in case", very helpful to find the correct destination place or to find the road back to motorway. I don't trust any, even most expensive and features rich, best in the world sat nav to count only on what it shows me, so I see no reason to buy any additional device. Better I want to make usable what I already have
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 17:04   #28
I-S
Premier Member

I agree with mantee - I actually don't find the volvo satnav that bad, but the key thing about it is the ability to control it without removing my hands from the wheel. It would be great if someone would release a third party module that replaced the popup screen with a newer, higher res display and updated maps that was still controllable from the steering wheel joystick. I doubt anyone will (or even can - I'm sure volvo have no wish to allow anyone access to CANbus comms within the vehicle), just saying it would be nice.

Thanks for the link and info mantee - good to know they work and are updated. The last disc that I bought updated the firmware. Does this one? Might give it a punt anyway, as there are a few roundabouts in this area that no longer exist except in the mind of the sat nav.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 17:13   #29
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
I agree with mantee - I actually don't find the volvo satnav that bad, but the key thing about it is the ability to control it without removing my hands from the wheel. It would be great if someone would release a third party module that replaced the popup screen with a newer, higher res display and updated maps that was still controllable from the steering wheel joystick. I doubt anyone will (or even can - I'm sure volvo have no wish to allow anyone access to CANbus comms within the vehicle), just saying it would be nice.

Thanks for the link and info mantee - good to know they work and are updated. The last disc that I bought updated the firmware. Does this one? Might give it a punt anyway, as there are a few roundabouts in this area that no longer exist except in the mind of the sat nav.
I found on other forum some guys (Russian, I think) who made a custom controller and together with replaced higher res screen+components taken out from other sat nav, they successfully connected it to the CANbus, but it's too much hassle with. I could do electronic things but I have no programming knowledge unfortunately.

Post few pics from google maps, please, I check them on the sat nav for you, when I'll be back home in few days.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 18:37   #30
I-S
Premier Member

Here's a couple - you can see from the google maps overlay what the new road layout is, and you can see the old road layout on the satellite image. The volvo satnav is in line with the satellite imagery.

http://www.askisaac.com/images/mumps.jpg
Oldham Mumps

http://www.askisaac.com/images/ashton.jpg
Ashton-under-Lyne A635/A627 junction

Another interesting one would be to know if the new satnav disc can get its head around the new junction at the A62/A627 (Oldham way) - again, google maps is correct but the satellite image is out of date.

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Apr 7th, 2016 at 16:05. Reason: Image just too big
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote