Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 T8 fails to start

Views : 8611

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2016, 09:32   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default New XC90 T8 fails to start

Now that I have had a few days to get over it, I thought that I should post the following information in case anyone else has the same problem.

I took delivery of my XC90 T8 on 1.3.16 first thing. Drove it to work and also went out for a run at lunchtime in it. I then went to move it at 3.30pm and it wouldn't start. When you turned the start knob, the dials initially span round and back again, but then the gear selector did not appear on the dash. Much mucking about did not get it to work. I rang the dealer and they talked me through the problem, still wouldn't start. We performed a full reset, still wouldn't start. We did manage to get the gear selector displayed (by a long hold on the start button) but still it would not start. We could hear the actuator changing the gears but no drive.

The dealer turned up with a courtesy car and my car was recovered to a recovery compound to sulk for the night on it's own. I went home to sulk as well. It was then recovered to the dealer in the morning. When it was delivered to the dealer on the following morning it threw a proper hissy fit and refused to come off the trailer by not allowing the handbrake to release.

The dealer had it for 2 days (I was abroad with work so this was no problem) and they discovered that the software for the VDDM (Vehicle Domain Dynamic Module) was corrupted. Volvo had taken an interest in this problem and Sweden remotely connected to the car to help to identify why this corruption had happened. The diagnosis was that when the towbar software was installed it caused a conflict with and corrupted the VDDM. They re-installed everything and got it all to work properly. They are now apparently going to have to re-write the towbar software to fix the conflict for other vehicles.

I don't know if this is a T8 towbar issue or an XC90 towbar issue. I am guessing it is a T8 one as there possibly aren't many T8's with towbars out there yet.

So I got the car back on the 4th and am happy with it so far in my 3 days of ownership. The dealer were good, delivering me an XC90 D5 to allow me to get to the airport and then keeping me updated with progress and explanations. I am just hoping that this is one blip at the start of ownership and it will be plain sailing from here on in.

Cheers
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 11:22   #2
PorkaFly

Sorry to hear about this...very frustrating for you.

I have a T8 RDesign with factory fit towbar and have moved it in and out of housing using the buttons a couple of times to show my family how it works. Thus far I've not had any issues with the car and now covered 470 miles in first week...although I realise that's tempting fate.

Was yours dealer fitted? I just wonder if it was fitted afterwards whether this has been the issue?

PF
PorkaFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 14:20   #3
yeoman
Master Member

Hi,

Hope your car gets sorted soon.What sort of MPG were you getting and do you charge you car daily?

Cheers
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 22:03   #4
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkaFly View Post
Sorry to hear about this...very frustrating for you.

I have a T8 RDesign with factory fit towbar and have moved it in and out of housing using the buttons a couple of times to show my family how it works. Thus far I've not had any issues with the car and now covered 470 miles in first week...although I realise that's tempting fate.

Was yours dealer fitted? I just wonder if it was fitted afterwards whether this has been the issue?

PF
I'm not sure. I think dealer fitted. There has been a spec change on the towbar just recently with the configurator quoting a post week 36 towbar and a pre week 36 towbar. Maybe mine fell as a post week 36 one and the new version (whatever that entails) had the software bug? Or maybe it is just a t8 thing and there are not many t8s with towbars? I dont know more than i posted unfortunately...
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 22:04   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
Hi,

Hope your car gets sorted soon.What sort of MPG were you getting and do you charge you car daily?

Cheers
Car says 24mpg at the moment but really far too early to tell. Not charging yet as the electricians still have a trench to dig and some wires to run.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 07:44   #6
volvo for ever
Premier Member

hi its not t8 issue with tow bar sw ii ihad same issue months ago had car 5 days pur nightmare ....

a lot of sw issues with these cars they will eventually iron out ,,i always say once a new car has come out give it 1 year before buying it and let them sort out niggly issues its not just volvo cars all other brand shave same faults i bet.....
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 13:20   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default ******Update, update, update, T8 drivers note*****

Right, here is some info which may get T8 owners out of trip in breakdown truck.

After the issues described on delivery day, the car had the software re-installed by the dealer and has been pretty faultless since. However, on Sunday morning, 200 miles away from home in South Wales the problem came back.

Same symptoms, you turn the start knob, the dash lights up, the dials spin round and back, but the gear selector does not appear.

I was extremely hacked off and rang Volvo assistance. After the best they could offer was a truck to take me home to arrive in 2.5 hours I decided to take things in to my own hands.

I went to the 12v battery in the boot (left hand side, under a small cover) and I disconnected the large positive lead on the top (the one that loops round on the battery cover. I left this disconnected for 5 mins and then reconnected it. It sparked a bit on reconnecting but it came on and off ok. I went to the car and it started! Result. Put everything back together and drove 200 miles home without stopping in fear of it not restarting. Car then worked perfectly on Monday, stopping and starting a few times and I drove to the Dealer this morning (Tuesday).

Car went to dealers this morning. Apparently Volvo have done some more work on this and there is a Technical Service Bulletin about the problem issued just last week. This describes the symptoms and is caused by the on-board charger sending a signal to the main computer to say that the car is still charging which means that the car will not allow a start to take place. My car has now had a software download which should mean it doesn't happen again, however, if it does, removing, waiting 5 mins and then replacing fuse 11 in the underbonnet fuse box should cut the power to and therefore reset the charger which should clear the fault. Disconnecting the battery (you need a 13mm spanner/socket by the way) has the same result. I am planning on buying a 13mm ring spanner to live in the boot just in case.

Considering the hassle of a long distance recovery and the completely wasted day I could have had on Sunday I thought that this fix is worth flagging up.

You may want to remember "fuse 11" and/or carry a spanner and/or make sure your car has the software update.

Moderators - You can decide if this is worthy of a sticky to keep it at the top of the forum for a while.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 15:33   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Default Safety note

Just be aware that you should always disconnect the negative terminal first to avoid the possibility of an accidental short circuit. Disconnecting the negative terminal first will still force a reset. You can then disconnect the positive lead (but only necessary if you want to completely remove the battery from the car).
_

Last edited by Lexman8; Apr 26th, 2016 at 15:45. Reason: Clarification
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 16:45   #9
Skep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Right, here is some info which may get T8 owners out of trip in breakdown truck.

After the issues described on delivery day, the car had the software re-installed by the dealer and has been pretty faultless since. However, on Sunday morning, 200 miles away from home in South Wales the problem came back.
I could have given you a lift home, was in Cardiff on a stag do Friday till Sunday, if you were that hacked off with it, I would have helped you push it off the nearest hill too, blame a faulty handbrake hahaha
Old Apr 26th, 2016, 16:45   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Just be aware that you should always disconnect the negative terminal first to avoid the possibility of an accidental short circuit. Disconnecting the negative terminal first will still force a reset. You can then disconnect the positive lead (but only necessary if you want to completely remove the battery from the car).
_
Thanks, I kind of knew that, but I was not in the most clear frame of mind Sunday morning! I looked at the negative terminal and it looked more complicated than disconnecting the positive, so I just did the positive but was careful not to also touch the car. However, looking at it again in the clear light of day the negative actually looks quite easy - probably not a 13mm though to must check so that I can order my emergency spanner!

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Apr 26th, 2016 at 16:47. Reason: Fat Fingers