Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone go for a FWD XC60?

Views : 3217

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2019, 23:51   #1
MattDell

Default Anyone go for a FWD XC60?

From what I’ve gathered the option of FWD on the XC60 is a new thing for MY2020 cars on the SPA platform.

I’ve ordered this spec to save around £1200 and, with any luck, help with the mpg.

That said, I’m finding it weird to be buying an SUV with FWD and can still change it. Will I regret it?
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 23:58   #2
Sphinx2000

If you live in area with hilly mountains or bad weather with snow - then 4wd would be better.

otherwise i think you will be fine.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 00:13   #3
molsal

I had the FWD previous D4 engined XC60, it returned an average over 45mpg during my ownership, and on touring hols would top 50mpg with ease. I fitted cross climates and had no issues , and I live in Wensleydale. My current MY2019 will only average around 41mpg at the moment, and around 46mpg touring.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 10:34   #4
Steve XC60
Structural member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
I had the FWD previous D4 engined XC60, it returned an average over 45mpg during my ownership, and on touring hols would top 50mpg with ease. I fitted cross climates and had no issues , and I live in Wensleydale. My current MY2019 will only average around 41mpg at the moment, and around 46mpg touring.
I agree with this. We still have a Mk1 FWD D3 XC60 and an SPA AWD D4 XC60. Our mpg is similar to the above on both. If you care about driving in snow, the right tyres are more important than AWD. +1 for cross climates.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:41   #5
tangey

Regardless of car, I'd be hard-pressed to give up AWD on my next car. Very little to do with snow conditions, and much more to do with pulling out of side roads with some lock on in wet/slippery conditions, or just slippery conditions in general. The ability to get moving in a more predictable way in iffy weather is a big thing for me.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 12:52   #6
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
Regardless of car, I'd be hard-pressed to give up AWD on my next car. Very little to do with snow conditions, and much more to do with pulling out of side roads with some lock on in wet/slippery conditions, or just slippery conditions in general. The ability to get moving in a more predictable way in iffy weather is a big thing for me.
I wouldn't want to give up my AWD. I find it so much more secure on wet roads, especially motorways. They are not just about snowy conditions.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 13:12   #7
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDell View Post
From what I’ve gathered the option of FWD on the XC60 is a new thing for MY2020 cars on the SPA platform.

I’ve ordered this spec to save around £1200 and, with any luck, help with the mpg.

That said, I’m finding it weird to be buying an SUV with FWD and can still change it. Will I regret it?
Have you considered the impact that the FWD option will have on resale/trade in values when you sell it? The XC60 as an SUV is "expected" to have AWD and and FWD versions will IMHO have a marked reduction in 2nd hand values.

But if this a a company car purchase - then so what........!!!!
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 13:22   #8
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I wouldn't want to give up my AWD. I find it so much more secure on wet roads, especially motorways. They are not just about snowy conditions.
Why would a AWD be more secure during cruising conditions? Surely the benefit is merely drive traction when moving from stationary or while accelerating at low speed on a slippery surface?

AWD won't improve braking or cornering. Winter tyres bring a greater improvement in snowy conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA&app=desktop

Last edited by Zebster; Jun 10th, 2019 at 13:27.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebster For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 14:30   #9
taylora

I only recently found out the difference between AWD and 4WD, for those like myself that were ignorant this is what I understand...

AWD is FWD pretty much all of the time unless the system senses wheel slip and will engage the rears. While 4WD is 100% of the time all four wheels driven.

So in the case of an AWD Volvo does that mean it'll only apply drive to the rears on slippery roads? So cruising is probably never going to engage the rears?
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 15:02   #10
Deman77
Master Member

Not only that. Unlike German awd solutions Volvo’s are much more limited as to how much torque they can put through the back when they chose to do so - I think ours is 30% of the peak torque or so. So the only way they achieve 100% of current torque on rears is by breaking the front wheels as they detect slippage and that rear torque is tiny. That’s my rudimentary understanding. Quacker should be here telling the precise workings Any minute now.

The right tyres on rwd or fwd will beat awd on mediocre tyres in all but a few rare sets of conditions.

But for resale you will have a limited demand for non-AWD SUV as was said earlier.