Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone go for a FWD XC60?

Views : 3202

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 10th, 2019, 15:28   #11
taylora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
But for resale you will have a limited demand for non-AWD SUV as was said earlier.
Were rather alot of the previous gen XC60 2WD, did it make much difference on those?
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 16:29   #12
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
Were rather alot of the previous gen XC60 2WD, did it make much difference on those?
Actually NONE of the VEA engined previous generation XC60s were AWD.

Those posters who talk about the importance of the winter or all-season tyres are spot on - you might also stand a chance of stopping when you need to.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 16:49   #13
MattDell

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Have you considered the impact that the FWD option will have on resale/trade in values when you sell it? The XC60 as an SUV is "expected" to have AWD and and FWD versions will IMHO have a marked reduction in 2nd hand values.

But if this a a company car purchase - then so what........!!!!
Yeah that did cross my mind. We're doing this on a PCP and probably won't buy it afterward, though there is a chance we might. I suppose in either scenario resale doesn't matter much.
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 18:09   #14
dchbrown

Depending on what happens to emissions and taxation then a more efficient FWD model might be easier to sell than a less efficient AWD one...
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 23:43   #15
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylora View Post
I only recently found out the difference between AWD and 4WD, for those like myself that were ignorant this is what I understand...

AWD is FWD pretty much all of the time unless the system senses wheel slip and will engage the rears. While 4WD is 100% of the time all four wheels driven.

So in the case of an AWD Volvo does that mean it'll only apply drive to the rears on slippery roads? So cruising is probably never going to engage the rears?
Explained more in detail here :

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/awd-vs-4wd/
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 11:00   #16
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Why would a AWD be more secure during cruising conditions? Surely the benefit is merely drive traction when moving from stationary or while accelerating at low speed on a slippery surface?
Not quite. The system provides torque vectoring constantly- not only when accelerating or in slippery conditions. It neutralizes the understeer of the FW driven vehicles thus providing for a neutral handling characteristics.

Some info in this video. It's a few years old but it relates to Gen 5 Haldex found on SPA cars.

https://youtu.be/RxpbI0ABpoI?t=82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77
Not only that. Unlike German awd solutions Volvo’s are much more limited as to how much torque they can put through the back when they chose to do so - I think ours is 30% of the peak torque or so. So the only way they achieve 100% of current torque on rears is by breaking the front wheels as they detect slippage and that rear torque is tiny. That’s my rudimentary understanding.
Not true. Haldex Gen 5 (as found in Volvo SPA cars, but also in all VW/Audi transverse-engine AWD applications- eg. Golf R32, or S3 Quattro, Q3, etc..) distributes up to 50% to the rear, hence retaining a FWD/neutral drive bias at any given moment. Brakes are not used for front-rear torque distribution management.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 11:05   #17
Haldex
Premier Member

PS: as for resale of 2WD SUVs.. meh.. there's clearly a demand for these- as much as I personally don't understand the logic of buying a heavy, high center of gravity vehicle without an AWD - I'm sure there's a decent demand for used 2WD SUVs..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 11:09   #18
Deman77
Master Member

There you go. Haldex knows his stuff. Please tell us what Porsche and bmw do and what Range Rover does to complete the picture.
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 11:21   #19
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Why would a AWD be more secure during cruising conditions? Surely the benefit is merely drive traction when moving from stationary or while accelerating at low speed on a slippery surface?

AWD won't improve braking or cornering. Winter tyres bring a greater improvement in snowy conditions.
I'm old fashioned, brake into a corner, accelerate out of a corner. AWD is definitely available when power is being applied hence it will come into play if traction is inconsistent in a corner, such as standing water or a section of poor fraction, or indeed mis-judging a corner. My experience is there are a lot of bends on roads.

Everything I have read does lead me to conclude that proper winter tyres are of great benefit in snow conditions.

Last edited by tangey; Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:28.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2019, 11:31   #20
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
There you go. Haldex knows his stuff. Please tell us what Porsche and bmw do and what Range Rover does to complete the picture.
Porsche - previously Haldex (viscous clutch..) system, currently- a proprietary multiplate (dry..) clutch. It functions the same way as Haldex- but RWD biased..

BMW - a proprietary multiplate clutch, RWD biased.

M-B - a Magna-Steyr-developed viscous-coupling case- again, resembles how Haldex works.. Again- RWD biased.

RR - Torsen planetary differential (also used in VW/Audi longitudinal engine AWD application- eg. A4/6, Q5/7, etc..). Permanent 50/50 split, can shift up to 100% to either axle.

XC40 B4 RD AWD