Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Day Running lights

Views : 7621

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2008, 09:29   #1
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Default Day Running lights

Good Day...
I have been asked by VOC member David Lycett the following question regarding his MY08 '70

Model_details: V70 SE LUX
Model_year: 2008
Fuel_system: Diesel
Mileage: 700

Description_of_problem: How do i switch off the daytime running lights on my 2009 spec V70. My previous Volvos had a screwdriver slot. As an advanced driver i consider the current situation to be hazardous as other drivers may think i am using my headlights as a signal.
Has_this_been_investigated: No
What_has_been_done_so_far: I have read the manual and searched for a srew slot

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Cheers
Jod
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:45   #2
dodgyken
Master Member

Um - don't bother.

The EU is about to pass legislation that will make Daylight Running Lights mandatory on all cars by 2012.

If you are driving and a driver signals for you to make a manouvre and you are involved in a subsequent accident it does not absolve you from blame. Therefore if a driver thinks you have flashed when you haven't and causes an accident they will still be to blame.

I believe, however, that you can turn them off via one of the car setting menus, although I haven't looked into it.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 18:42   #3
Kobe

I asked my dealership about this, they said it was a "cost option" which would have to be completed by them at the garage.

XC70 D5 SE Sport (MY2008)
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 18:45   #4
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

It's done by hooking up to the dealers computer system, its a change to the software settings. This was also the case with the P2 platforms.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 18:16   #5
Mercmanuk

I have alway been a fan of day running lights, Volvo's do that...

Regards mark.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 19:07   #6
T5R+
V70 Fan

Tis true - dealer only - approx £40/50.
T5R+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 23:46   #7
bryand
C30 devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
Um - don't bother.
The EU is about to pass legislation that will make Daylight Running Lights mandatory on all cars by 2012.
Last time I heard it was 2008, so you're talking about something that might happen 4 years ahead. A lot can happen in 4 years, my friend.
bryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 23:07   #8
tonyv70d5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
Good Day...
I have been asked by VOC member David Lycett the following question regarding his MY08 '70

Model_details: V70 SE LUX
Model_year: 2008
Fuel_system: Diesel
Mileage: 700

Description_of_problem: How do i switch off the daytime running lights on my 2009 spec V70. My previous Volvos had a screwdriver slot. As an advanced driver i consider the current situation to be hazardous as other drivers may think i am using my headlights as a signal.
Has_this_been_investigated: No
What_has_been_done_so_far: I have read the manual and searched for a srew slot

Any assistance would be appreciated...

Cheers
Jod

Daylight running lights make the vehicle more conspicuous on dull roads and obvious to the pediestrian with poor eyesight.

I have never yet mistaken the DRL of a car for permission to proceed.
I disregard them. the decision to proceed is mine and mine alone.

I say retain the DRL and I look forward to all cars having them, if only to aid the poorly sighted pedestrian.

On another thread what we need is for Volvo to change the headlamp bulbs (dipped and mainbeam) free of charge for labour on the V70s 2005.

Tony
tonyv70d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:16   #9
Weezy

What is the reasoning behind introducing DRL to all cars ?
If its for pedestrians then i think its about time pedestrians took responsibility for there own acts.With the 30mph speed limit soon to be reduced to 20 in built up areas i think the motorist has done more than enough for them.
If its so motorists can see each other then a bikers lights are just going to blend in with all the others making them invisible.
It will probably mean a fine if you drive with one of your DRL bulbs blown ,which on a lot of new cars is not the 5 minute job it used to be but a trip to the dealers to get the bumper dismantled or the battery and tray removed to change the bulb.The majority of drivers you see with only one headlight today are not too lazy to change a bulb, they know they need a few hours to do it or to get it booked in.
Also,i think i have the intelligence to know that when it gets a bit murky to switch the lights on myself ... Thats my 2 bob,s worth over with
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 08:11   #10
dodgyken
Master Member

The point is that a lot of drivers don't turn on their headlights when they should. Lights on gives a far more visible point of reference for other road users - whether they be car drivers, motorbike riders or pedestrians crossing.

I believe that when it was introduced in Sweden accidents decreased quite considerably.

As for motorbikes - it is a double edged sword - the statistics indicate it is one of the most dangerous ways to travel - and certainly a large majority of accidents are caused by car/bike interaction. I have not seen statistics that indicate one way or the other where blame lies in these cases.

As with cycling on the road - as a cyclist I know I am soft, squidgy, and will come off 2nd best when hit by a hard metal thing. Therefore I do my best to avoid conflict - by actively making sure that ALL drivers see me. I am not entirely convinced that motorbike riders think the same.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote