Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed Dependent Power Steering

Views : 6120

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 15:23   #1
Sandancer

Default Speed Dependent Power Steering

I wonder if anybody has any information on Speed Dependent Steering - according to the brochure it "offers a choice of three settings allowing you to choose a suitable level of road feel or steering sensitivity". I've had a 2009 V70 2.0d R-Design for 3 months and can't find how it works.I've battled with the handbook and menu settings but alas, to no avail, so as a last resort I went back to the dealer to be met with a very blank look, a lot of head scratching and then finally " all power steering adjusts itself ".After pointing out it's listed as a £225 option which is supposed to be standard on my car they finally agreed to contact Volvo. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PS Sorry for waffling on - It's my first time
Sandancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 15:44   #2
dodgyken
Master Member

OK - when the car is still - you can go into something along the line of car settings - and you should find it under there.

The problem is my menu is in German - I will try and remember to find it this weekend.

You can't change the setting while the car is moving.

I have my set on the hardest setting - stiffest steering and it does give you some idea of what is happening!!!
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 15:54   #3
Dave Brown

it should be under "steering Force"
on the car setting menu, and as Ken said, will only bring up this sub menu when stationary.

Dave

Dave Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 17:45   #4
MayGetaV70

Hi, sorry can't help with your question as I don't have a V70 at the moment.

Could I please ask if you could help me, you have a 2.0D V70. I won’t hi-jack your thread by asking questions here. Would you mind reading my question, it’s titled V70 with a 2.0D then SE or R-Design and is currently towards the bottom of this page, it would be nice to hear form a 2.0D owner.

Thanks Mygetav70
MayGetaV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 18:51   #5
Toad of Toad Hall

The others are right it should be under 'Car Settings'

However it is worth checking back with the dealer that it is actually fitted. When I was looking for my V70 I was chatting with one dealer and he told Volvo had made a mistake on the production line and the first batch of R Designs had been made without the variable assistance steering.
Toad of Toad Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 19:28   #6
Sandancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
OK - when the car is still - you can go into something along the line of car settings - and you should find it under there.

The problem is my menu is in German - I will try and remember to find it this weekend.

You can't change the setting while the car is moving.

I have my set on the hardest setting - stiffest steering and it does give you some idea of what is happening!!!
Been right thro' the menu as per handbook and your right it does say the car needs to be stationary but it doesn't appear in the menu. The only reason for asking is that I've tried for nearly 3 months to get an answer from the dealer and I don't seem to get anywhere. The latest is after having the car in for a day to check it, they have contacted Volvo but after nearly two weeks we're still waiting for an answer. They don't know if it's the car or brochure thats wrong
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 13:29   #7
iamthestig

Default If you do find it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
Been right thro' the menu as per handbook and your right it does say the car needs to be stationary but it doesn't appear in the menu. The only reason for asking is that I've tried for nearly 3 months to get an answer from the dealer and I don't seem to get anywhere. The latest is after having the car in for a day to check it, they have contacted Volvo but after nearly two weeks we're still waiting for an answer. They don't know if it's the car or brochure thats wrong
The option should be there under Car Settings

I have it and you can adjust it on the move if you know the trick !

You get the "Steering Force Adjustment" menu selection up on the display while you are stationary and then drive off. You can then make the adjustments and try it out while you drive... Not sure it is supposed to work this way but it does (in my car anyway !)...

Pics galore at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2008xc70/
iamthestig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamthestig For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 10:45   #8
Sandancer

Heard back from dealer who says that car is a "mis-build" and awaiting info from Volvo as to whether can be retro fit or factory return. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 11:47   #9
tykey

I think the steering rack is different, so it isn't a little job.
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 12:34   #10
Kev_V70_MY2009_RD

Hi Sandancer, I have the same car/spec as you (although the D5), and had it thee months like you. I've been right through my menus and found nothing. Let me know how you get on with the dealer will you? Not sure which one you use - I'll be using Mills on Scotswood Road.

Cheers,

Kev
Kev_V70_MY2009_RD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev_V70_MY2009_RD For This Useful Post: