Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed Dependent Power Steering

Views : 6102

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 18:26   #11
tykey

As I mentioned earlier, it's no good looking for the menu option if it's not got the correct steering rack.

Is the mis-build the fact they didn't fit the right one?
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 09:07   #12
Sandancer

Cool

A call from the dealer last week to say "The R-Design has optimised power steering and therefore alters itself and the Speed dependent steering is only available on the T6". He then went on to say that my car was correctly built and it is the brochure that is wrong (4 times as well as the website). Spoke to salesman who sold it to me and he said new brochures in this week still list as standard spec.
Sandancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 20:02   #13
MayGetaV70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad of Toad Hall View Post
The others are right it should be under 'Car Settings'

However it is worth checking back with the dealer that it is actually fitted. When I was looking for my V70 I was chatting with one dealer and he told Volvo had made a mistake on the production line and the first batch of R Designs had been made without the variable assistance steering.
I have had this confirmed by a Volvo dealer today as well.
MayGetaV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 20:14   #14
Sandancer

Seems strange that 3 weeks ago Volvo customer services, let alone their dealer network didn't know if the R-design had it or if it could be fitted.They then confirmed it was the brochure and website that were wrong as the option is only available on the T6
Sandancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 13:13   #15
Dazzlev70r

Not sure if this helps

I have a March build 2009 2.0 R design

This car DOES NOT have speed dependant steering fitted despite Volvo saying this only affects the earlier models

Now im no buff with things but i like the steering on my car as it goes, hard to explain but its turns where i want it to go, at low speeds very light and seems to stiffen itself at higher speeds

Handling though compared to the D5 is diffrent
you can feel a lot more bumps on ****ry roads (not enough to worry about but its definately firmer)

Chucking it through the bends isnt too great to be fair, its a heavy car and i wouldnt class it as good as the Audi A4 or the mondeo almost floatish
Driving sensibly though its a great motor to be fair, its just not the race spec we all thought
I can change my car now im told as its not what it says on the tin but at moment i see no reason to change.
Im going to tow a caravan this weekend so trying to bang on as many miles as i can before then and well see how it goes

For comparison my last car was a 2.0 D Mondeo est 2008 for 6 months and before that it was a S line Audi A4 est 2007
The Volvo does seem to have caught my smile though, its a big heavy luxury tourer
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 13:15   #16
Dazzlev70r

I didnt swear i said *****y

c o u n t r y roads lol
maybe swear filter needs to learn to spell
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 16:21   #17
saturnuranus
VOC Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzlev70r View Post
I didnt swear i said *****y

c o u n t r y roads lol
maybe swear filter needs to learn to spell
lol, I hate to be picky but if you count the stars there...

I think the filter is working ok
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 20:35   #18
Dazzlev70r

PMSL are you saying I cant spill priperly
The Following User Says Thank You to Dazzlev70r For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 08:00   #19
Dazzlev70r

Thought id update this as i know a few of us were concerned

The steering ive found no problems and ive racked up nearly 2K now this month.

The handling has got better now things have settled but the car dont like high speed corners or sharp steering lol but normal driving simply is great no problems.
Towbar fitted and bank holiday meant I added to the mass looking for the sun.
The idea was to be able to adjust the steering once a caravan had been fitted so this was main test
Caravan weighs in around 1250Kg so not the biggest in world.
Power and handling wise you knew it was there but to be fair i was happy with the car and shocked the fuel consumption far exceeded my Audi and Mondeo as it goes

Audi and mondeo both better towers when it came to pure grunt though
My cars a box on wheels and they famous for towing if you think and this car is no execption im happy and wondering why i wanted the speed dependant steering as im sure Volvo know a little more than me on how to set things up.
Old May 9th, 2009, 09:28   #20
scantruck

I took delivery of my R Design in September last year and although I expected the car to have the speed dependant steering fitted mine has not got it either.

I would love to know if anyone gets it fixed by Volvo.

I had an S80 SE Sport with it fitted and it was really good and seemed less prone to camber changes in the road compared to my current car so I'm wondering if it is actually a different rack they use?

I intend to ask the question at the 12000 mile service - but that will be a while yet.
scantruck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scantruck For This Useful Post: