Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Articles

Notices

850/x70 S1 Articles How to's and step by step guides on a specific repair or modification to a Volvo 850/70 car.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Phase 1 Dash switch bulb relacement tutorial

Views : 12294

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2009, 16:29   #1
bobbych
Premier Member

Default 850 Phase 1 Dash switch bulb relacement tutorial

Today I set about replacing around 6 of my Dash lights as they never lit in the dark

so here is a tutorial

First, purchase some replacements from MAPLIN, the code for them is BT43
they are 12v 60ma bulbs. They are different in size, but they work just the same

here is a comparisson shots

Firstly, you will need
replacement bulb
Small scredrivers
Snips
Soldering Iron and Solder

First task is to open the switch. the switch is split in half, with this one, you can see the BLUE back half. Other switches may be yellow, white, or black. The halves are held together by notches. there are 4 of these, one on each side, as you can see here

use the screwdrivers to prize open the switch. Be CAREFULL not to snap the latches, as the switch will not work when you put it back together

once you have the switch uncliped. do NOT just prize it open as there are loose parts inside. Place the switch down like this and lift the top off

you will then have the switch in half. here you can see how it looks

next, remove the small brass operating lever and the light cover as shown

next, get the rear section, in this case, the BLUE section, and remove the inside part from the switch, you will be left with this

here you can see the old bulb. and the wires which come from it

now, you have two choices here for removal. you can DESOLDER the ends, or do as I do here and SNIP the ends a small but away from the soldered joint

now its a simple task of pulling out the old bulb, place the new one in the holer, and resolder the new ends of the legs to the exisiting one

here is mine fitted

now we simply refit everything

first, place the holder back into the base section

then we place back the LIGHT COVER and the brass lever. The BRASS lever has 2 dimples in the centre section, these should sit on the two raised pieces on the switch. you will see them when you look

next is the bit which goes wrong, as it did is a couple of mine, you need to CARFULLY place the TOP SECTION back on

the problem comes here, is that it is a TIGHT FIT, and if you JOLT too much, the small brass lever will come off the raised pieces, and you switch will not work. SO carfully press the top back on and your switch is back together

now, on testing , if like i had, you switch no longer works, then the brass lever has almost certainly JUMPED off the pieces when you snapped closed the switch. you now have to reopen the switch and reset the lever, and close it again.

But now you should have a nice lit switch.

one you have done the first, each switch only takes 10 mins, and the bulb is only £1 from maplins

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather

Last edited by Jod T5; Dec 14th, 2009 at 10:39.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post: