Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tomtom 720 Air vent mount in v70

Views : 4749

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2009, 16:49   #1
matherton

Default Tomtom 720 Air vent mount in v70

My first post on here, I have recently purchased an 08 v70 and I really do not like mounting my Tomtom on the screen. I have found that Tomtom do an Air Vent Mount (link below), has anyone had any experience with it and the v70? What I don't want, is to start using it and break the vents or something!
http://www.tomtom.com/products/acces...ory.php?ID=444

Please let me know any comments/suggestions too

Thanks

Mark
matherton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 18:41   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Mark, avoid that like the plague, it clips directly to the vent which isn't good for security/ stability, in short the device won't stay put where you really need it.
What I would recommend is the CarComm active x20 bracket see Here Then go to DSL Dev's web site to choose a Brodit Pro Clip to match your car and provide the correct location for mounting the device where you really want it click Here

The combination of Brodit and CarComm is hard to beat, although if you are on a budget it is possible to modify the TomTom Home dock and attach that to a Brodit Pro-Clip, this is what I did when I had the TT 720 and the Volvo 740 TIC, since upgrading to a TT 940 and 950 and an Ovlov V70 Classic I use Brodit kit all over the car, have a read of some of my blog entries as it might offer you a few ideas, I have included the 720 Home dock I modified a while back as food for thought though:

First of all this requires "adjustment" of the supplied Home docking cradle, and the provision of some Brodit hardware.

Tools Used:

A Dremel, or small electric drill, files, screwdriver, hacksaw and a Torx bit No6.

Objective is to provide an Active powered mount for the 720 that is powered from the cars ignition, full access to the RDS-TMC/ iPOD connector and the Audio output connector. The assembly actually screws to a Brodit Pro-Clip so it will fit a number of different vehicles, I would have used a "Move It" Clip but didn't have any spare last night, I can always retro fit the Move It clip later though.

First of all you have to dismantle the Home dock, this is relatively easy:
1/ Peel back the rubber pad from the underside of the base.
2/ Remove the four Torx No6 screws securing the metal plate to the mount body.

For the Brodit Tilt/ Swivel component I used an existing part from the scrap bin, I broke my XDA-Exec Brodit holder by forcing it in the holder with an extended batter fitted - at first this worked but over time the holder snapped - there was nothing wrong with the swivel part though so I simply unscrewed it. (Note the failure of the Exec Holder was entirely my fault, but part of it now lives on).

Fabricate the bracket out of 25x25x3MM Aluminium Angle section which should be around 120MM long, holes to secure the bracket to the swivel part and the metal base plate were drilled out at 3,5MM Diameter.
Self tapping screws secure the tilt/ swivel part to the bracket while M3 screws and self locking nuts hold the bracket to the metal base plate

Mark out the metal base plate for the holes to take the RDS-TMC/ iPOD connector and Audio line out plug, I found it easier to file these into a rounded slot, the slightly larger access provided makes connection much easier.

Make sure the metal plate holes are in the correct place before re-attaching the base to the plastic body of the holder, using the metal plate as a template drill out the plastic to gain access through to where the x20 would sit.

Clean out any remaining swarf etc before fitting the x20 in to the mount and make sure the connectors can be fully located in the respective sockets, note you should turn on the x20 and connect the RDS-TMC or iPOD to make sure the connector is fully mated and the two devices are functioning - if not you might need to remove a little more material.

Fit the Pro Clip to the vehicle, and mount the x20 in to the shoe - it should look something like this:

Electrical Power

The existing Home Dock is fitted with a standard USB connector, plug this in to the ciggie socket via a USB power adaptor, I had one in the "spares box" but these can be obtained for very little cost, I might hide the wiring over the weekend and bury another socket behind the dashboard to tidy up the installation

Around two hours to make at zero cost - all that is left to do is painting the bracket which I will do later, the device sits nice and solid in the mount, even hitting speed bumps at speed does not dislodge the device (I had to try that to be sure of the units security). In position I can adjust the angle to suit my driving position and it is much easier to put on and off the mount - quite a neat looking installation - but I am sure the official Active unit from Brodit will be better - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 19:26   #3
gtr1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherton View Post
My first post on here, I have recently purchased an 08 v70 and I really do not like mounting my Tomtom on the screen. I have found that Tomtom do an Air Vent Mount (link below), has anyone had any experience with it and the v70? What I don't want, is to start using it and break the vents or something!
http://www.tomtom.com/products/acces...ory.php?ID=444

Please let me know any comments/suggestions too

Thanks

Mark
I would 100% recommend the Brodit system. http://www.mountonus.com/

I think the total cost for the Brodit vent clip (not clipped to the vent vanes!) and the TT holder was about £38. There are other options you can go for including one with a power lead attached so you just slot the TT in and away you go. The above link gives all the options.

If you can wait 'til 2mrw, I'll post a couple of pics of my TomTom holder in my V70.

HTH

Last edited by gtr1000; Dec 30th, 2009 at 19:29.
gtr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 20:51   #4
matherton

I can't say I'm particularly technically savvy when it comes to car mechanics/modifications, and as the car is an 08 and still under warranty I would be cautious doing this type of thing. That is why I was investigating "soft" ways of mounting the device.

This Brodit vent clip you mention does sound interesting gtr1000 as by the name it sounds just a clip on option so it wouldn't need any hard modification of the car. Could you give me a direct link to the device you are referencing? Pics would also be nice of your setup if possible tomorrow.

Thanks
matherton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 22:30   #5
mikealder
VOC Member

Brodit Pro-Clips simply lock in to gaps between the trim in the car, they can be removed without leaving any trace of being fitted which is their main plus point, no screw holes at all but they do provide a very secure and stable platform to attach Navigation devices and/ or mobile phones - Mike
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 00:52   #6
iamthestig

Default Another vote for Brodit here...

Quote:
I can't say I'm particularly technically savvy when it comes to car mechanics/modifications, and as the car is an 08 and still under warranty I would be cautious doing this type of thing. That is why I was investigating "soft" ways of mounting the device.

This Brodit vent clip you mention does sound interesting gtr1000 as by the name it sounds just a clip on option so it wouldn't need any hard modification of the car. Could you give me a direct link to the device you are referencing? Pics would also be nice of your setup if possible tomorrow.

Thanks
Couple of photos on my flickr site as below. I have a iPhone mount which I also use as a Nav device (replacing a TomTom).

Here is one direct link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2008xc70/3726819524/

Fits really well. Quite impressed.

Pics galore at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2008xc70/
iamthestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 01:28   #7
mikealder
VOC Member

I have included these pictures to show you a couple of other Brodit style mounting solutions, whilst these are for the iPhone I could have easily attached any of the TomTom mounts to the same Pro-Clip and the clip is removable without marking the car.

With the iPhone mounted in the cradle it sits well and is close to the steering wheel but not too close so its not affecting the control of the car in any way.

Finally as close as I can get to a drivers eye point photograph (need a wider angle lens though to be honest).

@iamthestig, as you are running Sygic is your iPhone JailBroken as Sygic offers by far the best Speed Camera warning system on iPhone than any other navigation software, if you need advice on how to set this up let me know - Mike
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 04:51   #8
GSMGuy
Master Member

Sorry, but imho, that one with the aluminium is an eyesore... I have one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Vent-Dash-...item56384ae4fd cost less than £10 delivered, and is perfect, holding my 930T at just the right height on the drivers side vent near the door - I do 50k miles a year and this has never let me down over the past 10k miles!

2 tics to remove the TT, leaving an innocuous mount, pretty much out of sight of passing scum....

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:37   #9
gtr1000

Quote:

Thanks
Here's some photos as mentioned. The "system" is made up of two parts - the Brodit Proclip clips over the vent (other loaction specific mounts are available depending on where you want to loacte the TT) and then the TT holder (again specific to your TT type) screws onto the Proclip with 4 small screws.The Proclip is easily removed at any stage leaving no damage to the dash.

Rather than me give a specific link to what I've got, use this link http://www.mountonus.com/ , type in your vehicle details where it says "car pro-clip mounts" on the left of the page. Once you've found a suitable clip, go to the "GPS, PNA, Satnav holders" drop down box to find your TT mount.

Personally, I'd never mount anything near the driver's window. Once, many years ago, I was sitting in traffic with the window down and some scrote approached from behind, leant in and had my mobile away in a flash.

HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (183.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (158.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (201.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (139.6 KB, 20 views)
gtr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:47   #10
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr1000 View Post

Personally, I'd never mount anything near the driver's window. Once, many years ago, I was sitting in traffic with the window down and some scrote approached from behind, leant in and had my mobile away in a flash.

HTH

I don't find this a prob as I very rarely have the windos open on my car, only to pay a toll or at the drive through

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote