Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter Tyre Poll

Views : 33630

Replies : 208

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you slapping on winter tyres?
Yes 176 56.23%
No 137 43.77%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 29th, 2012, 13:43   #181
christiaan

So I have just swapped my XC60 over onto winter tyres.

I looked into just getting winter tyres for the 20inch R-design wheels but they were stupidly priced.
So instead I sourced some brand new, genuine Volvo 18 inch Cratus alloys with Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice tyres (235/60 R18 107 H) from a German Volvo dealership.

Cost including shipping from Germany for 4 complete wheels/tyres was about half what it would cost here in the UK, and they arrived within 5 days.

Conveniently the temperature has just dropped below 7 degrees today.... bring on the snow and ice!
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 15:27   #182
davidabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
What make have you gone for? It is always interesting to hear what people put on.
I have fitted Dunlop 3D. Have used them before and found them to be great.
Snow started yesterday and we have about 3 inches in our drive no problem going to the shop this morning, 4 miles on a B Class road with frozen ice underneath. There is a hill near our home and it's easy to see last winter which of our neighbours has taken advice and put on winter tyres. An A4 quattro with extremely wide low profiles on 18" rims will be an interesting sight considering their last car was a Freelander and they live at the other side of the hill.

Volvo V60 D2 SE powershift
davidabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 21:18   #183
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Winter tyres back on. Season 3 on this set.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 20:02   #184
Crockers
Premier Member

I went for the Volvo deal if 17" Balder Alloys and Nokia WRa tyres. Smoother ride than my 18" Steiper and Contis.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 18:41   #185
Docs

Winter Contis back on last week just in time I think,3rd winter and still plenty of
life in them,would probably do next year if my 2010 still around.
Let it snow,let it snow,let it snow...!!!
Docs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 21:03   #186
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I fully follow the concept and have followed the thread with interest. I have never fitted winter tyres. I live now in south Brittany, we have cold below the ability for summer tyres to perform at 100% but rarely have snow. I have , so far not 'come a cropper' by driving to suit the conditions , old school , yes. Ex copper skid pan trained, pursuit and response trained - before winter tyres 'existed'. Not saying I am right as we all know all things progress..... And I have not driven with winter tyres so cannot comment on how good or otherwise in comparison to 'summer tyres' they are. I left the fuzz in 2004 and at that time non of our cars were fitted with winter tyres, that's panda, area car and traffic cars. Are they now? Dunno but with the cut backs......

One thing that springs to mind is insurance. A good set of winter tyres would cost more than double the value of my 240 and most probably my 850 too. If someone wrote either off in snowy conditions, I wonder if insurance would look into the issue of 'were winter tyres fitted to either vehicle' ?

Clearly winter tyres now are better at , what 7 degrees to less than summer tyres. But Back when I began driving in the early 80's one tyre suited all conditions....

Is it progress , or is it moving the goal posts........
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by Paul240480; Dec 6th, 2012 at 21:11.
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 21:09   #187
harveys
Master Member

Winter tyres will stop approx 20% faster so a car could run into the back of you on stanard tyres.
so guess who would be a fault for not leaveing a big enough gap.
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 10:19   #188
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Paul240480 - It is an interesting point you make and I wonder if it is the change in style of tyre used that has caused the problem. I have been driving for 25 years now and for many years snow/ice did not register as a major issue when driving. Quite a few snow free years helped but 3-4 years ago we had a very bad winter up here. I went out in my new S40 expecting no problems but found the car to be useless. I had managed for the previous 20 odd years but could not control this car and had to be pushed on a number of occasions as the car became stuck on ice patches. After 2-3 days of being terrified I tried my wifes Fiat 500. A doddle, a piece of cake. I sailed through the next 2 weeks in that car, the Volvo was left on the drive. Next lease I went to a 4WD and now I am back in a Volvo but with winter tyres. Snow this week up here but so far so good.

What is the difference, and why the story? Is it tyre size? Car mfrs have moved to bigger, wider tyres that simply don't cut through snow. Previous cars were fine as they were on narrower tyres. The Fiat managed as it was on 14/15" tyres. The S40 failed on 17" tyres? Would winter tyres be needed if we were still driving on narrower tyres? Look in the winter weather, most of the cars managing are little Corsa's, Fiat 500's, Fiesta's etc. It is the medium and larger cars that struggle.

I have converted to winter tyres but I do wonder if tyre size increases have exaggerated the problem, hence why it never seemed to be a major issue in the past. Just a thought.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 10:43   #189
macdive

I did 'my tyres' last year, paid about 50 quid a tyre. Korean manufactured. I hear the scoffing and laughing already. However, bear this in mind, it snows like s**t in Korea, so just maybe they know how to do this I thought.

Fitted them for a 1500 mile r/t drive to Austria Skiing in February. They were superb - gripped like you wouldn't believe, tested in full on blizzards, (driving before the road had been ploughed) ice/snow compacted car parks which can be like ice rinks- no problem.
macdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 13:00   #190
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdive View Post
I did 'my tyres' last year, paid about 50 quid a tyre. Korean manufactured. I hear the scoffing and laughing already. However, bear this in mind, it snows like s**t in Korea, so just maybe they know how to do this I thought.
Love that answer. Incidentally I sell into the electronics industry and 10 years or so ago S.Korean products did not have a great reputation. Then bit by bit the quality improved and now they are seen as high quality, on a par with Japan. Look at the rise of Samsung. I would happily buy S.Korean products from a reliability point of view so stand firm on your S.Korean tyres. The winter Olympics are going to S.Korea in 2018 by the way so you are dead right about the snow. If they came for the North however then maybe not.............

My tyres are an Italian brand, Marangoni, still mfr in Italy, not farmed out elsewhere. I had a bit of a worry, visions of sun and beaches, and then engaged my brain and thought of the Alps and Italian ski resorts. Doh.