Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Value of XC90 in three years ?

Views : 2541

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2004, 03:38   #1
Andy
Master Member

Default Value of XC90 in three years ?

Boss has just taken delivery of a black D5 XC90, screens in headrest etc, fully loaded I think. What other toys should it have to be top spec?

He said he would owe £14K in 3 years when the finance was up and if I gave him that I could have it. If it has 45k miles on it by then and is in good nick do you think thats a good price? I know its early days yet but it seems like a bit of a bargain.

What is the real MPG on the D5 and how long have they been out? How are their second hand values holding up?

Should I start saving my pennies? What do you think?
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 17:33   #2
KeatV70D5SE

Default RE: Value of XC90 in three years ?

If you're offered a decent XC90 in 3 years at 14K then I'd seriously think about it. That's a 35-40k car that would expect to be half price in 3 years. Most XC90s have plenty of toys but extras can include darkened windows, tow bar, DVD, Sat Nav with pop-up screen. Go to www.volvocars.co.uk and build one, the list of extras comes up for you to choose from. See if you can match your boss's and read the price off.

Don't know what real MPG is but I can just about match what Volvo say for my V70 D5 which is the same engine. I would think the XC90 is a bit gutless though and would probably need chipping.

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2004, 01:45   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

You will find that the XC90 will pull like a train, but if you want to show the T6 engined version a clean pair of rear wheels you should certainly chip it. One owner has said that it leaves his previous "Disco" standing in the pulling stakes. It certainly is not gutless even in standard tune. If it has a manual gearbox it will be an even better bargain.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 21:25   #4
eddie69
Eddie69

The only XC90 i have driven was the 3ltr twin turbo and i was blasted away, if i ever have the dosh i will have one, fuel consumption, c**p

Eddie
850 T5
eddie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 23:44   #5
tj101c70

Andy

BUY IT,, will then give you a profit !!!!

If it has the RSE ( rear seat screens,, and sat nav),, could be a D5 Exc,, about £ 45 new,,

Xc90 came out late 02 on 52 reg(maily all demo cars,)all geartronic auto, man arrived begining on 04,, (auto best !!)
There is still about 9 months waiting list, but used prices are easeing at the moment , A 03 plate speced up is still worth £ 35 k with 20,000 miles
Re performance,, will never match the T6 version, but then the T6 will never match the D5 for fuel ,, 15-20 ish, T6, against 26-30 D5
Now on my 3rd,, Standard go is a little flat,, the D5 engine is good in V70, but the extra weight dull the go somewhat, HOWEVER with a little tweeking, now goes well, engine still tight with only 2.5k on, but a easy 30 mpg on a run, and getting betteras my previous post,, makes a disco TD5 look like a series 1 landrover

Regards Tim

TJ101 04 V70R AWD (Flash-Man)
05 XC90 D5SE(Ruby-Geartronic)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:51   #6
perussell

I have an XC90 Exec D5 (54 plate) on a personal lease through my company. Quoted value in 3 yrs is £23K; they quote £19K for a D5SE so £14K seems like a bargain if increasing availability doesn't undermine 2nd hand values.

Now have 2800 miles on clock so engine not fully loose. My driving is 80% M-Way (highish speed!) and 20% Urban with Geartronic box I am averaging 29-30 mpg but have seen 22-24 round town and up to 32-33 on pure M-Way easing off on the right foot a bit.

I love it, no regrets at all - a little slow off the mark but once it's past 20 mph performance isn't too bad. (My last car was a BMW 5-series Touring - the Volvo has far more character!)
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 23:17   #7
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Don't expect the engine to show signs of loosening up until around 50,000 miles. Remember this is a diesel engine which generally will acheive far higher mileage than a petrol engine and remain serviceable for far longer, provided you follow the service instructions pretty faithfully. We have diesel engined 200s 400s 700s 900s 850s S/V70s S/V90s S60s V70 mk2s S80s in the club which generally bear this out. The newer S40/V50s have not reached a level of service yet, but I am sure that they will certainly back my statement. Diesel is Cleaner, Greener and does not have the amount of particulates that petrol engined cars push out, despite what the government tries to tell us.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:40   #8
perussell

at the risk of taking this topic off the subject I cannot let Peter's comments above go unanswered.

This is my 4th diesel in my last 5 cars (the exception being a V70 2.4 petrol (99-01)).

In my personal experience I have always noticed the engines loosening up around 5000 miles and then again around 15000 miles (approx) with small but notable increases in fuel economy and a reduction in oil consumption as the engine beds in.

of course the whole economy issue can be slightly misleading especially at this time of year when the oil companies start adding pour point depressants etc to prevent wax deposits blocking filters etc on icy mornings. Invariably fuel economy can suffer fractionally as the calorific value of the fuel is reduced accordingly so there can be a whole raft of reasons why economy improves or decreases. I always exepct 1-2 mpg less when the 'winter' fuels start appearing at the filling stations.

Am I convinced by diesel - absolutely - even my wife now runs a diesel.

Do I know what I am talking about? - well, many years ago I was Chief Engineer on large diesel powered ships and today I work for a very well known oil company - albeit I personally have nothing to do with the fuels side of the business so I will let you be the judge of that.
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:27   #9
Andy
Master Member

Sorry for not replying sooner, I should check more often!

Thanks for the replies.

Tim,
I think it has small shield badges behind the rear doors, haven't seen them on others I have looked at. I'm now told its ex-demo so would that make him the second registered keeper?

Better get 3 more years out of the 'R' ;) and as for selling it for a profit we shall see :)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:56   #10
tj101c70

Andy

Yep sounds like a Exc model,, coded door handles, shield badge on c post pillars, and other slight mods,
Could not ord a sunroof in ruby exc, so i spec a SE to match

Regards

Tim

TJ101 04 V70R AWD (Flash-Man)
05 XC90 D5SE(Ruby-Geartronic)
tj101c70 is offline   Reply With Quote