Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Annoying knock.

Views : 1900

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 20:43   #1
splutterycar

Default Annoying knock.

Dealer has been trying to rectify an annoying knock for the last nine months. So far its had: new ball joints,new steering rack, new droplinks, new anti rollbar, new rear spring insulators. STILL NOT SORTED!!!
It will knock at any given time, straight line, turning, over bumps, smooth roads. Someimes it seems like the offside front, other times, the offside rear.Its very loud.
I cant criticize the dealer, they've been great!! I own two garages, everyone of my staff has listened to it, I'm a BMW technician by trade and WE CANT FIND IT!!! In 25yrs I've never been beaten by a car, but this time.....!
Its becomming an obsession.A challenge! Anyone had a similar noise?
splutterycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 23:58   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Annoying knock.

Is this an XC90 you are talking about?

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 10:01   #3
90owner2004

I have an annoying knock with my XC90 - since june when the car was delivered! It's coming from the rear. It's like a knocking/clanging sound. It's been back to the dealers 4 times and they don't know what it is. The problem is sometimes it just doesn't do it at all! When it happens (which is about 75% of the time), it does it over speed bumps, over very slight undulations in the road, when I turn left and on acceleration. HOWEVER, YESTERDAY I SPOKE TO SOMEONE ELSE ABOUT THIS AND I MAY POSSIBLY HAVE THE ANSWER AS TO WHAT IS CAUSING THIS. Apparently, there was recently an article in Auto Express detailing that some customers had been complaining of what seems like the same noise and circumstances and the problem has been put down to FAULTY WELDING(?) ON THE EXHAUST SHEILD THAT RUNS OVER/BY THE FUEL TANK - the reason why it sometimes does it and sometimes not is due to temperatures and the expansion of the metals. It seems that Volvo know about this but didn't think it warrants a recall - for those of us who have stressed about this over the months, I would strongly disagree! My car is back at the dealers tomorrow for investigation and I will be relaying my findings to them. I don't know whether this is the same noise as you are experiencing but in my case I am so glad that we might have solved it at last.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 21:08   #4
splutterycar

Yes Peter, its an XC90. 2003 (o4 model).

Regards
Kev.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 21:09   #5
splutterycar

Thank you for that!! I will investigate it myself tomorrow if I get the chance!!!

Kev.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 17:59   #6
90owner2004

Well, the car has been at the garage for 3 days now and I'm due to collect it tomorrow - they say it's fixed - YIPPEE!! However, they have said that when they stripped down the suspension they found it was actually a coil spring that hadn't been seated properly at manufacture. Let's hope this time I don't return home only to find it still making the noise.

I haven't yet managed to get hold of the article I was told about regarding the exhaust shield but as soon as I do, I'll pass on the full details. I had a quick look at the Auto Express website but couldn't find it.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 07:32   #7
splutterycar

Update on Knock.Sorted after nine months and lots of Volvo's £££££!!!! Complete offside front suspension leg replaced. Nearside replaced also to 'match'.
To give you some idea what has been fitted so far:
New front lower balljoints.
front antirollbar droplinks x 2
front antirollbar.
wheel bearings.
Steering column.
rear Spring mounting pads.
Both front suspension legs complete, including top mounts and shock absorbers.

BUT its sorted and well done VOLVO.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 16:17   #8
sarge
Master Member

Crikey! That's great news though, but unfortuneately it doesn't pinpoint the problem!

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote