Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D24 6 cylinder in search for parts

Views : 1301

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2023, 11:05   #11
AlexFF9752

Absolutely there is no part number even my nearest big town volvo dealer told me so
AlexFF9752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 13:00   #12
Whyman
Premier Member

I can’t see that blueing the cap would change the dimensions!

If all else fails you could try grinding a small amount off the innner surface of the cap with a Dremel to see if you can release the bearing.

Have you checked the old and new bearings for size. In the past I have had a problem with rebuilding an engine where the crank journals were 20 thou oversized which I was told can be done in manufacture if the caps do not clean up at the standard size. We only found out when lifting the block and the crank to turn it over and felt movement.

Another thought have you tried stopping the caps around to see if you can get an acceptable fit on all of them?

Have you tried fitting the caps one at a time to see if the here is excessive movement in on of them

Last edited by Whyman; Aug 26th, 2023 at 13:03.
Whyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 15:47   #13
Baffler
Premier Member

Indeed no part number available for the D24, D24TIC nor for its five cylinder cousin the D252T (see attachments below) so, as you and others have said, these bearing caps are specific to the block and machined at time of manufacture whilst attached to the block...hence the numbering of 1 to 7 for reassembly.

Google threw up these - https://www.ebay.com/itm/233657917396 - which recently sold in the US but, as with your existing caps, will need to be machined to specification...if they have enough meat on them to be machined.

I think Whyman's suggestion of gradually grinding back cap no. 3 until you achieve an acceptable fit is probably best. If you fit caps no. 2, 3 and 4 you'll be able to place a steel ruler against the inner face of all three to determine the high/low points of no.3. Measure twice, cut once etc.

You're probably aware but the Volvo green book - https://www.scribd.com/doc/150143099...econditioning# - has info on P.36 regarding type of bearing shell used (flange or thrust washer) depending on engine number.

Also, the folks on https://www.d24t.com/ may be able to offer more info or experience with this.

Best of luck with it and let us know how it goes for you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240 D24 bearing cap.jpg (208.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 940 D24TIC bearing cap.jpg (192.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg D5252T bearing cap.jpg (272.0 KB, 3 views)

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 10:26   #14
AlexFF9752

I bought the set in the us but the delivery date is in two month.
I know that it's not correct but if the part fit i will rebuild the engine like that. I go to an another town to study and i will not have the time and money to do some machining. Just tell me if you can send me a set of caps or not. I will trust more a cap from an another engine checked with a plastigauge than something grinded by myself.

Alex
AlexFF9752 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
244, crankshaft, diesel, end caps