Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D5 Service 04 Plate

Views : 376

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2019, 21:00   #1
PDavis85

Default S60 D5 Service 04 Plate

I’m looking for some advice / recommendations.

I’ve got an 04 Plate S60 D5 that is due a good service, any recommendations on filters etc that people use or just stick with standard aftermarket ones? I was
Looking at the Green Cotton Air filters to upgrade the standard ones.

Also any recommendations on new bushes?
PDavis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 22:01   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

0w30-5w40 A3/B4 6-7L from a reputed big brand, filters from Volvo/Mann/Mahle (which are all of equal quality, the volvo ones being mann (usually) or Mahle in a volvo box anyway.
There are only 2 suitable 0w30 on the market, a few 0w40, plenty of 5w40. Shell helix ultra 5w40 is very popular for these. Ive just got Fuchs titan longlife 0w40 for mine.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2019, 22:50   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

Mann or Mahle for oil, pollen and air filters, and Volvo or Purflux (OEM supplier to Volvo) for the fuel filter. Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is a popular choice for engine oil, but there are a few different viscosities available. As long as the oil meets the required A3/B4 spec it should be fine. Aftermarket air filters such as K&N and Green Cotton etc help to increase air flow, but I'm of the belief that it's at the expense of filter efficiency. OEM or OEM equivalent filters are more than adequate for everyday use.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2019, 23:14   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancake View Post
Mann or Mahle for oil, pollen and air filters, and Volvo or Purflux (OEM supplier to Volvo) for the fuel filter. Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is a popular choice for engine oil, but there are a few different viscosities available. As long as the oil meets the required A3/B4 spec it should be fine. Aftermarket air filters such as K&N and Green Cotton etc help to increase air flow, but I'm of the belief that it's at the expense of filter efficiency. OEM or OEM equivalent filters are more than adequate for everyday use.

Yup, you get an increase in fine particulates which help erode valves, bores, etc and can find their way into the oil too. Not too relevant in motorsport or high performance engines as they need frequent rebuilds anyway, but on a road car it isnt great.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:30   #5
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Change the fuel filter if it hasn't already been done. If it's old your car could die a slow painful horrible death, usually at the most inconvenient moment 🎋