Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc70 buying advice?

Views : 549

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2019, 12:28   #1
barmikar

Default xc70 buying advice?

Looking to buy a 2014-16 xc70 which model is best to buy? i need it for long distance drives mainly between the uk to Spain on a fairly regular basis, any help gratefully received! cheers barmikar.
barmikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 19:10   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I would go for a D5 engine, all sorted and any weaknesses ( auxiliary belt tensioner) well-documented and easily sorted by timely maintenance. Toys are up to you , I preffer cloth seats to leather but you may struggle to find them, vented leather may be an option given the heat of Spain, but again only you can decide.

Happy hunting.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 13:46   #3
volvocat

I would agree - D5 is best, assuming you want AWD.
Post-2011 models get twin-turbo and better auto box with sport mode, although I can recommend the (much rarer) manual as best combination of power, driveability and economy.
Most later models come with leather as standard, including SE, so cloth seats really hard to find!
Go for best spec you can, so start with an SE Lux and just look for best options list. This is totally personal but I would recommend keyless, ventilated leather, premium sound, 4C chassis, flappy paddles, front parking sensors, sunroof, heated windscreen etc - but that’s just me!
Lux comes with active bi-xenons as standard - much better than halogens - imo.
Not likely to be too much of an issue with 2014+ but if you find a nice but higher mileage example (c.80k plus), check for full main dealer service, esp. if cam & aux belts and tensioners have been done, or budget to get them done soon - officially OK until 108k or 10 years but better done sooner for peace of mind...
Good luck!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 13:53   #4
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

D4 or D5. Try and get the SE Lux model. If you are lucky, you might find a second hand one with lots of toys. That’s why I got my D4, had a lot of gadgets compared to a D5 model with nothing in it. All about timing I guess and what’s on the forecourts. I could have waited months for the right D5. So wasn’t too fussed about that requirement. Had a D3 XC70 before and going into a D4 was noticeable and a joy. Of course the D5 will be more joyous with the twin turbo. Just depends what you want really. Oh and make sure it has AWD. Some XC70s are FWD only. Not sure if FWD was still around in 14-16 models.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:27   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignumGB View Post
D4 or D5. Try and get the SE Lux model. If you are lucky, you might find a second hand one with lots of toys. That’s why I got my D4, had a lot of gadgets compared to a D5 model with nothing in it. All about timing I guess and what’s on the forecourts. I could have waited months for the right D5. So wasn’t too fussed about that requirement. Had a D3 XC70 before and going into a D4 was noticeable and a joy. Of course the D5 will be more joyous with the twin turbo. Just depends what you want really. Oh and make sure it has AWD. Some XC70s are FWD only. Not sure if FWD was still around in 14-16 models.
Don't disparage the 2wd xc70, it's a very fine car. V70 on steroids. Having a landrover on the drive and it being a proper 4WD I could not justify an all wd. My 2wd xc 70 ticks all the boxes for me, the higher stance means getting in and out of it is easier than the V70, the 2wd means it does more to the gallon and towing the caravan I have never had occasion where I wished it was all wheel drive, were I heavy towing I would use the landrover, 3500kg rated towing capasity compared to 1800kg for the xc70, no brainer.

Admittedly they were not in production for long but unless all wd is essential do not dismiss them out of hand, they were badged as drive e cars being more economical to run than the all wd, but they have Phase 3 D5 engines, at least mine does, handle superbly and go like stink with polestar upgrade.

Paul.
Old May 7th, 2019, 19:22   #6
double99

Buy which is newer... Better new not used 2 years more..
double99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 21:18   #7
barmikar

Smile Thanks.

Thanks everybody with your great advice looks like it will be a manual d5 se lux.

cheers again barmikar
barmikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 21:27   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmikar View Post
Thanks everybody with your great advice looks like it will be a manual d5 se lux.

cheers again barmikar
That manual box is sweet. I change gearbox oil every 2 years 2.1 litres required, some handbooks say 1.9 but lie..

Paul.