Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indecision regarding trim levels: Inscription vs R-Design

Views : 3212

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2018, 12:11   #1
miguelduarte42

Default Indecision regarding trim levels: Inscription vs R-Design

Hi everyone,

I am currently debating which trim level to go for on a new XC60. Here are my thoughts on each. I would really appreciate some input from current owners!

Inscription: Love the blonde interior, feels light and airy. However, I am worried about seat staining and overall wear and tear of the leather. I've seen a few worrying comments both here and in other forums. How problematic is this?

R-Design: Love the exterior and the 21'' rims, but the interior does not feel as luxurious and light as in the blonde Inscription. However, it seems like the seat material will hold up longer in good conditions.

Another question I have: will the dealers allow you to order an Inscription with the 21'' R-Design wheels?
miguelduarte42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 12:25   #2
Bernard F

Read the post Blond Leather Interior below dated yesterday and this may help you decide.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 12:36   #3
Jimrod

I find the R-Design bolsters are a bit of an obstacle climbing in and out (S90) and as such I worry about wearing the edges out, the quality of the materials themselves feel very classy though.
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 14:38   #4
Haldex
Premier Member

R Design seats are a bit hard at first- at least for me, coming from the plush V60 comfort seats- first few weeks of ownership the impression was that I was sitting ON the seats rather than IN them It took some time to get used to them, and I guess they start giving a bit after a few weeks- now I just find them perfect.

The rest of interior is up to one's taste- I love the charcoal alcantara seat inserts/headliner combo with the silver dash accents. One thing exclusive to R is satin (matte) silver grille surround/trim on the outside- I personally dislike chrome..

Make sure you test drive a car with 21-inch wheels first.. I found the ride extremely uncomfortable- at least on french roads I opted for 19s myself..

Cheers!
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 14:50   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelduarte42 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am currently debating which trim level to go for on a new XC60. Here are my thoughts on each. I would really appreciate some input from current owners!

Inscription: Love the blonde interior, feels light and airy. However, I am worried about seat staining and overall wear and tear of the leather. I've seen a few worrying comments both here and in other forums. How problematic is this?

R-Design: Love the exterior and the 21'' rims, but the interior does not feel as luxurious and light as in the blonde Inscription. However, it seems like the seat material will hold up longer in good conditions.

Another question I have: will the dealers allow you to order an Inscription with the 21'' R-Design wheels?
The R Design dark interior and roof lining made me go for the inscription and blond interior and have not regretted it at all, and at the time you could not have a heated steering wheel with the R Design which ruled it out. The seats in the R Design suffer from scuffing due to the side bolsters. This is a common problem on any car not just the Volvo.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 19:42   #6
BiggyG

Not driven an R design, but I didn’t want one due to the suede inlays for the seats. They are half leather. You can go for the Nappa upgrade on the R design also.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 23:19   #7
J30 YAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelduarte42 View Post
Hi everyone,

No you cannot get the 21” r design wheel option in Inscription. Unless you buy the wheels package separately for a rediculous amount of money. I ordered an r design XC60 but not pro and wanted the 21” wheels. Was qouted somewhere above £4k, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to J30 YAP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 23:24   #8
J30 YAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggyG View Post
Not driven an R design, but I didn’t want one due to the suede inlays for the seats. They are half leather. You can go for the Nappa upgrade on the R design also.
In the XC60 r design, you cannot upgrade anything. There is no other leather option, no other wheel options. You get 19” wheels for the standard r design and 21” for the pro. I tried it.
The Following User Says Thank You to J30 YAP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 09:11   #9
Haldex
Premier Member

J30 YAP is right. There used to be a full nappa option on the R when I ordered mine (in Sept), but it's not available anymore..

In any case, from what I've read from long-term R owners on sweedespeed, the alcantara-like seat inserts wear much better than leather. I find them much more comfortable- no sliding around, it's breathable and much more pleasant in hot/cold weather.. But to each his own
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 12:38   #10
BiggyG

I was keen on the R Design before I bought mine - but as a second hand buyer I was looking for one with the Leather upgrade seats - of which they are few and far between.

I love the R design Blue. But don't like the silver wing mirrors - too blingy!

Ended up with a Black Inscription and love it.

Tags
inscription, leather, r-design, seats, xc60