Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Cross-Country buying advice

Views : 1283

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2015, 16:16   #1
jacko965

Default V70 Cross-Country buying advice

Hi I have a '98 V70 2.4 auto and I do love it. But I'm interested in a V70Cross-Country. Seen an '01 plate manuel with 129000 on the clock. Full service history + 12 month MOT , one owner and looks spotless.
What I would like some advice on is there anything common or even uncommon I need to look for ? I've bought loads of second hand cars and I've got all the normal stuff down. So is there anything on this model I should really look at.
Also price wise, how much is too much ? It's up for 2.5 k , I don't intend to spend that much and have already started knocking it down......I hope.
All info will be gratefully received !
Thanks Jacko.
jacko965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 00:04   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

If you can stretch your budget i would get a xc70 rather than a v70xc,

Same car, not quiet the v70xc uses a mechanic AWD system and the xc70 uses the later haldex electronic AWD,

Both have issues but the mechanical one is very suseptable to odd tyres and lack of use, they wind up propshaft and it makes some horrid noises, similar system to what the earlier freelanders use,

The later xc70's tend to shear couplings between gearbox and angle gear at front, there is now modified bits available to reduce the issue, it just depends what damage has been done when it went, best case 120 quid in bits and 3 hours to fit, worst case 1200 quid in bits and 3 hours to fit,

If both of them haven't completly put you off then they are really nice cars to drive abit thirsty in petrol form but you should never get stuck with either system,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 08:13   #3
pacman67
VOC Member

Early P2 XC 70 still had viscous coupling, they were mechanically almost identical, haldex came in later something like 2004/5 . As said its check the awd is actually there and that the prop hasn't been removed. All tyres should be fairly similar and new tyres should go to the front. Look at the centre rubber bearing on the prop, these can wear and cause vibrations and knocking. The turbo return seal as on p1 cars is an issue as access is very difficult due to the transfer box, check for usual stuff. P2 cars suffer with rear wiper motor failure especially the mounting bracket snapping, wiper will feel wobbly. Diesels are known for inter coolers, oil under the front bumper off side. My p2 had a lot of corrosion on the front shocks spring cup and one collapsed on me, worth a look.
Rest is as per phase 2 v70.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 22:29   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The ones after '03 tended to have the better Haldex system. I had an '04 D5 which did 225,000 miles with only one or two unexpected repairs: snapped coil spring and worn flexi plate (flywheel starter ring). Replaced it with an '06 version which is post facelift and generally better all round. As said, watch out for leaky intercoolers and dodgy auto gearboxes but they are good solid cars which will keep you going through a muddy/snowy winter.

When this one dies I'll replace it with P3 XC70 with the 205 bhp twin turbo engine. Very nearly bought one this time round but just out of my price range.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote