Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Passenger footwell light installed

Views : 3947

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2012, 23:46   #1
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up Passenger footwell light installed

Hi there

At the same time as I was installing the cruise control into the S40, I also installed a light into the passenger footwell, to match the one on the driver's side.

All I had to do, was remove the felt cover from below the glove box, and select the best place to remove the material from.

I chose the section, near the front of the panel, to the left hand side, which isn't quite as thick as some of the other areas.

I offered the light up to the felt, as a template and cut inside the shape, for a snug fit.

Next I removed the material from the inside of the panel, so the light sits in the recess.

I put a pair of 'piggyback' terminals onto the pins on the driver's footwell light, re-attached the connectors and made a pair of wires with push-on crimps attached to either end of each.

Two were placed along side the driver's connections and the others fed behind the stereo and out into the passenger footwell.

Wires were attached to the passenger side light terminals and the panel was secured into place.

Driver's door was opened and both footwells are illuminated.

Half an hours work, well worth the bother.

By the way, the light that was fitted came from the boot of a V40 (I think - with a black plastic shield that fits aroung the rear of the lamp).

I really like it, what do you guys think?

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1827 (Medium).JPG (57.0 KB, 81 views)
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GaryS40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 23:57   #2
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Very nice looks great Gary.

Good job

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 00:06   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

and fitted a led festoon to the unit while you were at it by the looks of things

the footwell lights are a nice touch
But,, do they ever show Every last scrap of muck if you havent hooverd for a bit,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 00:09   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Nice one Gary. I still need to do mine. But I want to go one step further and make both lights come up when I open both doors. Need to figure out where the cut off switch is and the wiring....

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 00:10   #5
GaryS40
VOC Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
and fitted a led festoon to the unit while you were at it by the looks of things

the footwell lights are a nice touch
But,, do they ever show Every last scrap of muck if you havent hooverd for a bit,,,
Oh yes, Andy.

They do indeed.

I even noticed a large build up of dust on the instrument cluster binacle joints, while fitting the cruise control. Don't think I have dusted properly, since the end of October (valeting season).

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 00:16   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

if you need any dusting practice,, you can pop n do mine

Alex
use the passenger door switch to control the passenger footwell one,
then "piggyback" the drivers/passenger as gary has done . will get you Both when either door is opened.
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 00:23   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
if you need any dusting practice,, you can pop n do mine

Alex
use the passenger door switch to control the passenger footwell one,
then "piggyback" the drivers/passenger as gary has done . will get you Both when either door is opened.
That is what I was thinking off. Need to experiment a bit

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 12:24   #8
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Alex, you could run it off the overhead lighting, but its faff running the wires that far...dosent the drivers side come on when passenger door is opened? I cant remember...
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 12:42   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

Nice one Gary! I've been wanting to do this for ages. I'd also love the red door lights, like on the larger models, but I fear it would be a lot of bother to fit them.

@ Alex - have you any of these lenses spare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
...dosent the drivers side come on when passenger door is opened? I cant remember...
No, it only operates from the drivers door.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 13:10   #10
andy_d
Premier Member

Thought about the red door lights before, ended up with the mad idea of adding "puddle" lights to the undersides of the door mirrors as well
use the pin switch for that door, tap off the +ve run the wire all the way round to the cable entry for the door, waterproof red led smt strip on the trailing edge, -ve to the door white strip on the door mirror cables inside the shell, but picked up from the cabin light to feed not the pin switch (so they opperate with the remote)
would need a hole in the door to get the wires from the led strip to inside, not that hard all told,, Once the PITA "bit" of feeding the wire into the loom + entry point after running it from the pin switch,, so shelved that mad idea.

smt led strips are cheap enough, easy and slim enough to mount without causing problems..but faffing with extra wires into the doors,,

Last edited by andy_d; Jan 16th, 2012 at 13:14.
andy_d is offline   Reply With Quote