Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

noise from camshaft position sensor?

Views : 8110

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2012, 23:44   #1
phantom51

Default noise from camshaft position sensor?

Hi, I have just acquired my daughters s40 sport (03 plate) it had a little Bump to the front but thats been sorted - It has just had an oil change, oil and air filters have been replaced and the car starts first time every time - but sometimes I get a "rattle" which sounds a bit like gravel being shaken about in a biscuit tin - if I unplug the camshaft position sensor the noise stops but whether its plugged in or not the engine runs just the same and doesnt appear to miss a beat. I havent taken it on the road yet but am about to take it for an m.o.t. any advise would be greatly appreciated. Have done a search but cant see the problem anywhere else.
phantom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 23:57   #2
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Do you mean the solenoid? If you've disconnected that plug and the noise goes away, you're looking at a failed VVT pulley (Variable valve timing)

140 quid for the part and around 150-180 for labour.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2012, 23:59   #3
phantom51

its the plug on the end of the camshaft near the air filter unit - on the right of the engine as you look into the compartment
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 00:03   #4
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Is it this?

Forgive me if I'm way off. It's just that the VVT rattle usually disappears once you unplug that cable

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 00:08   #5
phantom51

No its on the opposite end of the block and it says in the manual that its the camshaft position sensor, I took out the one bolt that held it in position, withdrew it and gave it a clean but there were no moveable parts on it and so I put it back. The noise isnt there all the time - some days it doesnt do it at all - but when it does make the noise pulling that plug makes it stop and the engine runs quite normal. by the way the engine light has come on on the dashboard.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 00:10   #6
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom51 View Post
No its on the opposite end of the block and it says in the manual that its the camshaft position sensor, I took out the one bolt that held it in position, withdrew it and gave it a clean but there were no moveable parts on it and so I put it back. The noise isnt there all the time - some days it doesnt do it at all - but when it does make the noise pulling that plug makes it stop and the engine runs quite normal. by the way the engine light has come on on the dashboard.
Oh right. Unfortunately that's beyond my knowledge. Hopefully a more experienced member can offer you advice.

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 00:11   #7
phantom51

Well thanks anyway - I appreciate your help.
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 00:14   #8
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom51 View Post
Well thanks anyway - I appreciate your help.
No problem

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 10:02   #9
stewyp1983

That light will need to be reset now as it has logged a fault from unplugging the sensor but if your lucky when driving it might register it as ok and clear it. If you take off the sensor (1 bolt) then undo the casing (2 hex screws) have a look inside to see if somehow there is something loose inside
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 18:14   #10
phantom51

Not been able to look at the car today it hasnt stopped raining all day and believe me its throwing it down!