Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Guy with a 122S in Mexico... and with a few doubts

Views : 5495

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2019, 18:31   #41
vmg

Another question: Radiator Blind.

Were they fitted to all cars, even to the ones sold in countries with no harsh winters? I ask because a friend in Mexico owns a 1961 model which was originally from his mother and now his, and he says he never had it.

Anyhow, mine, which was sold for the US market, probably had it, and it doesn't any more. I do find the car has the tab under the dash which I assume is for the chain, plus a tube going over the radiator for the chain to pass to the front of it... and also a couple of small holes down there in the body, where I guess the blind was attached.

I guess more than asking, I am requesting confirmation and advise on wether I would install it or if I better forget about it. If I should install it, any source for the blind? I could not find it on VP's site.

Pics attached.

Thanks!
Victor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19.03, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (4).JPG (99.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 19.03, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (16).JPG (164.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 19.03, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (17).JPG (147.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 19.03, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (18).JPG (98.1 KB, 16 views)
vmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 19:40   #42
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmg View Post
Another question: Radiator Blind.

Were they fitted to all cars, even to the ones sold in countries with no harsh winters? I ask because a friend in Mexico owns a 1961 model which was originally from his mother and now his, and he says he never had it.

Anyhow, mine, which was sold for the US market, probably had it, and it doesn't any more. I do find the car has the tab under the dash which I assume is for the chain, plus a tube going over the radiator for the chain to pass to the front of it... and also a couple of small holes down there in the body, where I guess the blind was attached.

I guess more than asking, I am requesting confirmation and advise on wether I would install it or if I better forget about it. If I should install it, any source for the blind? I could not find it on VP's site.

Pics attached.

Thanks!
Victor
You should also see a tube coming out of the bulkhead for the chain.

Mine came with one kind of fitted /partially fitted / broken. If you want I can take some pictures of it for you if you want but it is in a pretty sorry state,

I get the impression these are difficult to find rarely replaced items.

I don't know if they were only cold country destination fitments or universally fitted - sorry
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 20:30   #43
Derek UK
VOC Member

Bulkhead tube is shown in post #12 of this thread. If this was a USA delivered car it may never have had the blind. Although it's a nice talking point I doubt if you will ever use it in Mexico. They are good for speeding up the warm up when it's below zero.
Detective work - See if any paint has been chipped off the under dash chain lock and the bulkhead tube.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 02:27   #44
vmg

Yes, there is the tube on the bulkhead. I did some archeology, as Derek suggested, and I could swear the car never had the radiator blinds, or else they were never used, as the back of the tab under the dashboard has no scratches at all, and same on the interior of the tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to vmg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 03:03   #45
vmg

Hi guys!

Time for an update and a few more doubts.

The car is now sitting on correct measurement 165/80-15 tires... cheap brand but at least it looks correct now.

I also bought a set of bumper guards and installed them, plus a few things like outside mirror, chrome Volvo gas cap and a few missing bits. The car is mostly complete and nice. A good paint job could work wonders, but it is presentable as it is for a while.

I am adding pics...

Victor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19.06, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (12).JPG (288.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 19.06, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (13).JPG (304.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 19.06, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (16).JPG (280.8 KB, 13 views)
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 03:11   #46
vmg

Now... for my doubts:

How do you attach the jack to the straps on the side of the trunk? My car had the straps but I just can't figure out how they hold the jack.

I would love to get a tool bag... anyone out there with one that could sell?

Thanks!
Victor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19.05, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (1).JPG (223.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 19.04, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (15).JPG (158.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 19.04, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (16).JPG (127.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 19.04, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (17).JPG (125.2 KB, 10 views)
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 11:50   #47
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The jack fits diagonally against the inner wheel arch. There is another strap fitting, not shown, further up the wheel arch. The pins hold the straps in the slotted tabs. The hooks fit, top over the wheel arch seam and bottom into the opposite tab. The top one also holds down the handle and stops it rattling, if you are lucky. The slotted tab in your first picture is for the spare wheel strap. This strap is in two parts with the other end fitting into a tab next to the wheel well. If this wheel well has been replaced using an aftermarket pressing the tab may be missing. The strap fits together with a pull to tighten action with a toothed section to bite into the strap. These are often missing as they can get very tatty. Jack straps also often missing but you have those.
Spare wheel strap = Volvo #654691 Spare wheel strap Amazon is available.

Repro tool bags are now available. #670916 from Brookhouse at £11.94 so I guess VP will also have them. Do you have the tool set?
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 23:47   #48
vmg

Thanks, Derek!

Not being native in English, I guess the verbal description is a bit over my head.

There is a tab or ear, with a much smaller slot, on the side of the spare tire well, towards the center.

Two tabs, close to each other, to the left of the spare tire

One tab up in the wheel well cover, close to the trunk oppening.

I am attaching pics.

Then, I have two rubber small straps with hooks on one end and a bolt to attach them to the wider slots on the other side.

Finally, my car has a strap, sort of a nylon thing, that does not look original to me, that would seem to fasten the tire in place and which attaches to itself via a velcro strip.

Sorry if my quest for help turns into a bit of a headache... pics would certainly help.

About my tools, I only have the jack plus the two shown... and no tool bag. I have seen a set on ebay for $179 plus shipping... just not prepared to spend that amount yet.

Thanks for the help
Victor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19.08, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (6).JPG (93.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 19.08, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (4).JPG (175.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 19.08, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (3).JPG (163.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 19.08, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (5).JPG (281.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by vmg; Aug 13th, 2019 at 23:53.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:59   #49
Derek UK
VOC Member

Pic 1 shows the single tab for the short rubber strap. That holds the top of the jack against the wheel arch with the hook around the edge of the adjacent strengthening plate. Works but not very efficient. The longer rubber strap used the two tabs for holding the bottom of the jack. It works but again a bit of a fiddle which is why they often aren't used. Remove spare wheel to give you a bit of room. The piece of nylon strap you show looks like the real thing but the original had a white thread down each side and had the metal buckle I mentioned. Velcro isn't up to the job but looks OK I suppose. Check the previous link.

Tool kits are a bit different between early and late cars. I have one of the cranked wheel nut tools and it may be Volvo I guess but I don't think it will fit in the bag. It would make it difficult to roll up. Normally there is a large box spanner which fits the wheel nuts one end and the spark plugs the other. This comes with a short thin tommy bar with a domed end for use when removing plugs and the longer bar you have for doing the wheel nuts. Black handled screwdriver normally with early cars and usefully the blades reverse to give a crosshead and straight driver at each end. Pair of pliers for early cars and an adjustable spanner with a serrated jaw at the other end for later cars. Serrated jaw for various size nuts but not very effective. Made by Bahco but should be marked Volvo and not Bahco if they are the correct one.
I wouldn't pay lots of money for these tools but if you keep your eyes open you can find them individually for not much money. In your position, I would look out for the box spanner as it is the most useful. I have attached a few tool kit pictures. As you can see they do vary and may or may not be complete/correct. Look in the parts book for a picture of the toolset.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tk1.jpg (379.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg tk2.jpg (144.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg tk3.jpg (183.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg tk4.jpg (83.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 74201122127AM7beb-vert.jpg (327.3 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 00:49   #50
vmg

Thanks a lot Derek! I will try attaching the jack the way you describe and let you know.

And thanks for the pics of the took kits. Now I know what to look for.

Victor