Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it worth stripping modifications prior to sale?

Views : 3513

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2019, 16:05   #11
Yobbo
Dave

LOL pretty big indeed!

The car has what I think onf the best colours for the model, also the Midirs as well. I badly want a set...
Fair to say I'm slightly jealous!

How's the exhaust sound - quiet when cruising, louder when looning?
I'm just getting that impression from the inclusion of a rear muffler/silencer.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 16:06   #12
FunkyMelon
Master Member

That looks great.

If I were in your shoes I'd put it on ebay/Autotrader with what you have in mind price wise and an 'Offers' option (ebay) and see what you get.

If after a week or two you've not had much luck then I'd remove the bits you can sell on easily, brake kit, exhaust etc and sell them to the vultures on here

Sadly most people, when looking to buy a car with mods, think that it's had a hard life and been thrashed within an inch of it's life everyday when most of the time, they're enthusiast owned and very well looked after.

Good luck with the sale!
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 16:58   #13
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

That's the best V50 I've ever seen.

I would say just put the stock grill back in and number plates in usual place to give a super 'untouched' look and try selling for a premium but I think you'd need to push it on somewhere like piston heads.

If Volvo had made a V50R, I would expect it to look like yours!
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 18:10   #14
domhart10
Volvo S40

woa very nice car there! real tough decision, would hate to be in your shoes!

would sell the car as is, will be someone that will love that spec and what you have done to it for sure. what was spa like to drive!!! might have to add that to my list to do next!

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 20:31   #15
PaddyB

Those wheels will sell no problem.

Lovely looking car. I'd keep it if I were you (& I'd buy it if I had the cash)
PaddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 09:36   #16
TarmacNymph

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Pity I'm so late in the game in becoming a member on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
That looks great.

If I were in your shoes I'd put it on ebay/Autotrader with what you have in mind price wise and an 'Offers' option (ebay) and see what you get.

If after a week or two you've not had much luck then I'd remove the bits you can sell on easily, brake kit, exhaust etc and sell them to the vultures on here

Sadly most people, when looking to buy a car with mods, think that it's had a hard life and been thrashed within an inch of it's life everyday when most of the time, they're enthusiast owned and very well looked after.

Good luck with the sale!
I definitely agree with the latter part. The age old thought process from the 90's where any modified car is obviously driven by a scruffy teenager with no mechanical regard for the vehicle... Yawn. But I guess old habits (and thought processes) die hard in the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
That's the best V50 I've ever seen.

I would say just put the stock grill back in and number plates in usual place to give a super 'untouched' look and try selling for a premium but I think you'd need to push it on somewhere like piston heads.

If Volvo had made a V50R, I would expect it to look like yours!
The stock grill is awful, haha. But I get the reasoning. The Heico grill almost suggests that there's something else going on "underneath the hood" as the Yanks would refer to it. That and the massive intercooler if you have a keen eye. Alas, the OEM grill was moved on when I bought the Heico (two actually, but that's another story), such was my hatred of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
woa very nice car there! real tough decision, would hate to be in your shoes!

would sell the car as is, will be someone that will love that spec and what you have done to it for sure. what was spa like to drive!!! might have to add that to my list to do next!
Spa is always great. One of my favourite tracks to drive on, especially in the V50 as at pace it needed a bit more room than the nimble hatchbacks. Most UK tracks are much tighter, and although great in my previous car (Civic), the V50 was a bit cumbersome in comparison. But reality is that the V50 handles really well for a car of its size and weight. I have added some pictures from my last visit below that I remembered are hosted by the organisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyB View Post
Those wheels will sell no problem.

Lovely looking car. I'd keep it if I were you (& I'd buy it if I had the cash)
Sell yours, buy mine. Hahaha. Kidding.

Some pictures of Spa in October '17. Edit: it seems that DropBox didn't like hotlinking so have tried to attach them instead...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aZ2iI-jc.jpg (92.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2vwcujsk.jpg (91.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg QVljAIHw.jpg (78.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg a7wZegLI.jpg (94.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg n3m6KhiA.jpg (65.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by TarmacNymph; Apr 5th, 2019 at 09:47.
TarmacNymph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TarmacNymph For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 13:14   #17
domhart10
Volvo S40

looks great, yeh I track my S40 as well and they actually handly incredibly well with a few mods.

But back to your post, unless you have spares to swap in for the uprated ones it just sounds like a lot of hassle to split up and sell individual parts unless you had things like bigger turbo etc, I guess maybe the intercooler would be good to sell seperatly. But other than that just selling the car as is, shame as it looks like you have put tones of work into that!

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 13:33   #18
TarmacNymph

Well I do have the OEM parts for everything apart from the front grill and exhaust, so if people were after those we'd need to swap. But other than that I can make the car standard enough if it was worth it.

Yet the general consensus is to just advertise it as it stands. Therefore;

A. Can I advertise on this forum straight away or are there criteria to meet first? And,

B. Given that there is a lesser car currently available at £3,500 and it was suggested that due to mine being a face-lift with lower miles I could hope to gain a premium over that, would £4,000 for the base car sound about right? And then what of the modifications; general rule roughly 50% RRP for being second hand and just add everything up?
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 14:26   #19
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Sadly modifications don't add any value to the car really, only to someone who might potentially want one with everything you have.

Remap, possibly lowered, intercooler and exhaust are probably the only bits that someone looking for a V50 D5 with some poke are going to look into doing themselves at some point.

Being lowered takes away some of the practicality for some though, so you might lose some interest there.

The rest sadly is just a bonus but not required for most looking to buy.

Sadly again, most will probably just want a boggo standard V50 D5

I hope you get a good amount for it though, it's a lovely car.

Stick an ad up in the 'sales' section on here, only rules are (from memory) is that you need to have a price listed for it.
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 17:57   #20
TarmacNymph

If modifications don't add value then there's no reason to sell it as is apart from avoiding multiple headaches selling everything separately.

I'll add up what I've spent and throw a price up with the advert and see what sort of response I get.
The Following User Says Thank You to TarmacNymph For This Useful Post: