Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fixing the doorpanels?

Views : 1140

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 22:00   #1
timebandit

Default Fixing the doorpanels?

The leather is releasing on my doorpanels on my Volvo V70 1998. It doesn't look good :/
It's the middle part (where the doorhadle and power window button is) of the doorpanels that the leather is releasing.

Is there any good way to fix this without buying new ones at Volvo or any junk yard?

//Kensy
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 02:26   #2
Geezer

Hi timebandit,

I had a similar problem with all the interior trim panels in my 850. I don't know how difficult it is to repair the problem you have, but hopefully this may be a solution for you.

I found the easiset way to fix the problem was to remove the whole door panel and apply a contact adhesive (example Ados F2) to both contact surfaces of the effected part and allow 10 - 15 minutes to "tack off'".

Once they had tacked off, I just stuck the two tacked surfaces together and allowed them to dry off for a couple of hours and then refitted the door panels. I haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 08:07   #3
bigandquick
Premier Member

Mine are doing the same, the problem is the vinyl shrinks as it pulls away from the card so it's not as easy as just sticking it back, it needs to be re-stretched. I don't know how effective using a hair dryer to heat the vinyl and stretch it as you re-stick it might be.
I might have a word with our local breakers/salvage/repairers and see if they have any tips, if I get the chance.

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:05   #4
Geezer

I knew I had seen something about this problem somewhere.

Click the link and check out the 9th post. I thought this was the problem?? I could be wrong...but I've only been wrong once before (LOL).

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...&hl=door+panel

Is this the problem you have??
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:10   #5
bigandquick
Premier Member

Yes, that's it.
Thanks for the link, even though it seems there's little that can be done unless you happen to be an upholsterer

'16 XC60 SE Lux Nav
bigandquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:32   #6
Geezer

In theory, the leather or vinyl should retain it's original pattern.

What I would do is remove the door panel and see if it can be broken down into different componants. It could be (as in the 850's) that the piece in question maybe able to be completely removed from the rest of the card.

If that is the case, once free you should be able to tell where the edges of the trim meet the backing. This original edging is your guide for re-fitting.

Carefully remove any remnants of old adhesive (I used 100 grit sandpaper), and apply new adhesive to both contact surfaces. Let it tack off and then carefully stretch to shape using the original guide. Let it dry off properly, but check to see that the trim hasn't pulled back off it's backing. If you think that the leather might pull back from the backing, get some bulldog clips from a stationers (steal them from work) and use cardboard between the leather and the bulldog clip to prevent the leather from being damaged to hold the trim in place.

NOTE: Ados F2 is very tacky so you will have to be very patient and carefully when you re-apply the trim. Don't get it on the leather...god knows what it might do to the finish. I got some F2 on my vinyl door card, but I let it dry properly and then just carefully peeled it off so I count myself lucky.

Last edited by Geezer; Sep 11th, 2007 at 09:40.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 19:13   #7
Wolvengang

Although this thread is quite antique I like to use it for bringing this issue up again to modern surface again: as a company network driving 3 Volvo's V70 Classic we like to announce that we are succesfully working on a solution to this so very typical issue. Look for more at http://www.wolvengang.com/#!commitment/harw8
Or follow us on Twitter concerning this issue: #panelpads.
Wolvengang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 20:53   #8
happy diver
Active Member Moment

the foam padding between the door trim and the fabric disintegrates
a bit like roof liners sort of
big job big mess pull it all apart scrape off the gruel can't spray too much glue
on the foam otherwise the thin foam becomes soaked with glue alowing the fabric
leather/vinyl to adhere directly to the trim in places negating the sponginess of the foam
making a wrinkled big mess

Hey dutchy is your fix going to cost more guilder than the value of the car?

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 16:47   #9
Wolvengang

Hello happy driver! Yes the Dutchy :-) is ready now to introduce our Panelpads! By now we guess only for those who still treasure their Classics.... We think we have made a nice, quick, and affordable solution to vinyl coming off from the door panels of the V70, the S70, and the V70 XC Classic. You can order directly from our website: www.wolvengang.com/panelpads.

Oh yeah, and please do not fiddle with any glue, you'll ruin your panels beyond repair!
Wolvengang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wolvengang For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 00:11   #10
JMP

Any one used these who can give some feedback?

Thinking of trying these out.
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote