Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Realistically, How Long Will My V70 Last?

Views : 2178

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 22:43   #11
T5Sweep
Master Member

So long as things are kept up to scratch, it'll be accident damage that kills it off before any mechanical failure does so.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 00:21   #12
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I suspect it will be either the non availability of essential electronic components, which the grand old Volvos of yesteryear didn't have, or a failure in the automatic transmission, if it has an auto box, that is uneconomical to repair.
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 09:09   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
The old red-block engines were short stroke engines. Today, they are long-stroke. Short stroke engines have a tendency of living longer, due to lower piston speed in the cylinders.
i don't think that has any effect on an engine which rarely goes over 3000 rpm ! I have never come across a volvo engine which has "Worn out " ... sure there must be some which have been mis-treated but not in general use with proper servicing ..
the red block 2 litre is 80 mm stroke , the 5 cylinder 2.0 is 77 mm .....
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 09:38   #14
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
i don't think that has any effect on an engine which rarely goes over 3000 rpm ! I have never come across a volvo engine which has "Worn out " ... sure there must be some which have been mis-treated but not in general use with proper servicing ..
the red block 2 litre is 80 mm stroke , the 5 cylinder 2.0 is 77 mm .....
I'm inclined to agree. My father had a 1968 Amazon from new. I never saw him wash it, let alone service it. It covered 300,000 miles + and eventually the big ends went and it had a bit of piston slap. It was finally scrapped at about 16 years old, but that was due to rust on all the body panels.

The Volvo engine block will be the last thing to fail, on a V70 P3 the items that kill it off and make it beyond economic repair will be ancillaries - like electronic modules and emission control systems.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 09:59   #15
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I have never come across a volvo engine which has "Worn out"
...and even if you did, because they wear out so rarely they are very cheap and easy to buy good ones second hand.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 11:38   #16
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I think with the impending demise in production of petrol and diesel engined cars, you're more likely to find the lack of filling stations to refuel it will ultimately be what finishes off a lot of current models.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2017, 23:52   #17
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
I think with the impending demise in production of petrol and diesel engined cars, you're more likely to find the lack of filling stations to refuel it will ultimately be what finishes off a lot of current models.
If it does come to that, hopefully someone out there will start selling electric engines and conversion kits for older cars.

I'd happily have a go at converting my car to electric just for the fun of it, as long it doesn't change the noise and torque levels of my D5
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 12:05   #18
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The major engineering problem to be solved with electric cars is the placement of the batteries. Electric cars are built around their batteries and finding a way to integrate sufficient batteries into a converted petrol/diesel car without upsetting the balance and not overheating might be a problem. The electric motors are very small and fitting them wouldn't seem to be an impossible problem to overcome, but the batteries would be a nightmare.

On a slightly different trajectory, the life of diesels could be extended if there were usable NoX scrubbers available that could be retro fitted. James "Vacuum Cleaner" Dyson spent several years developing such filters but encountered no interest from the motor manufactures, so now he's ditched the project and gone over to an electric car project instead. Sad really as a properly filtered diesel engine would still seem to be usable until fuel becomes less available.

Last edited by Tatsfield; Sep 27th, 2017 at 12:09.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tatsfield For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 19:31   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
The major engineering problem to be solved with electric cars is the placement of the batteries. Electric cars are built around their batteries and finding a way to integrate sufficient batteries into a converted petrol/diesel car without upsetting the balance and not overheating might be a problem. The electric motors are very small and fitting them wouldn't seem to be an impossible problem to overcome, but the batteries would be a nightmare.

On a slightly different trajectory, the life of diesels could be extended if there were usable NoX scrubbers available that could be retro fitted. James "Vacuum Cleaner" Dyson spent several years developing such filters but encountered no interest from the motor manufactures, so now he's ditched the project and gone over to an electric car project instead. Sad really as a properly filtered diesel engine would still seem to be usable until fuel becomes less available.
Not to mention about 2 suitcases of associated control gear , what about the water heating / cooling of the batteries and motors and inverters etc ? Safety issues with lethal 400 V DC ? at least 150kg of battery weight to find a home for . This won't be DIY for sure ...
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 17:35   #20
Tatsfield
Premier Member

But retrofitted NoX scrubbers on my XC70 would probably be quite doable. Pity James Dyson gave up the project!