Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the best tyres to put on an XC90?

Views : 807686

Replies : 1192

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 11:11   #1071
Emeye

I am looking at Uniroyal RainExpert 3 235/60/18 107V tyres.

They are classed as a summer tyre, but can anyone running them on their XC90 comment on their occasional winter/snow road performance please?

We live on the side of a hill but the snow only settles for a couple of days a year at worse and the car only does school and short weekend family trips most of the time and never goes off roads, so mileage is low.

Cheers.
Emeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 11:42   #1072
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeye View Post
I am looking at Uniroyal RainExpert 3 235/60/18 107V tyres.

They are classed as a summer tyre, but can anyone running them on their XC90 comment on their occasional winter/snow road performance please?

We live on the side of a hill but the snow only settles for a couple of days a year at worse and the car only does school and short weekend family trips most of the time and never goes off roads, so mileage is low.

Cheers.

Sorry I have not run these on a XC90, but I had these tyres (17" version) on my Espace IV.
Quiet, grippy, superb wet weather performance ... but useless in the snow .... the tread gets blocked and the snow packs the tyre out making the rubber hard (so does cold weather.)
With no flexibility the tyre became a round ice lolly. They didn't perform well in the snow and ice IMO, making them less than a useful thing in that scenario.

But normal temps .... and in the rain I was well impressed.

Maybe you should check some of the "all season" or "cross climate" tyres available ... not the best of both but much better than a summer tyre in the winter.

Hope it helps a little.
TruckbusUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 11:59   #1073
Emeye

Thanks for the feedback - I have read mixed reviews on their snow performance - I live on the edge of Manchester in the pennines, so rainsport tyres are very appealing for 99% of the time!

I can get them for £60 each plus fitting, so they are very tempting - the kids can stay home if it snows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
Sorry I have not run these on a XC90, but I had these tyres (17" version) on my Espace IV.
Quiet, grippy, superb wet weather performance ... but useless in the snow .... the tread gets blocked and the snow packs the tyre out making the rubber hard (so does cold weather.)
With no flexibility the tyre became a round ice lolly. They didn't perform well in the snow and ice IMO, making them less than a useful thing in that scenario.

But normal temps .... and in the rain I was well impressed.

Maybe you should check some of the "all season" or "cross climate" tyres available ... not the best of both but much better than a summer tyre in the winter.

Hope it helps a little.
Emeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2017, 18:36   #1074
Ron Brown

Default Best tyres

I have just fitted Michelin cross climate to my xc90,fantastic ,good in the wet quiet,smooth quiet running highly recommended. Ron Brown
Ron Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Brown For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 14:29   #1075
FoxyR

Last year we fitted Avons to it after having Generals for 5 years. I have to say that I'm quite happy with them. For winter we put on Nokians Winter tyres and they were brilliant in icy conditions (during our trip to Europe) and I would highly recommend them.
FoxyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 23:28   #1076
Maccartw

I am running my XC90 on Accelera Iota 235/60R18s XL around £50-60 plus fitting. Good mid range brand.

Good reviews, B & C scores for grip and fuel efficiency.

Mixed motorway, side road and some off road work. Front 2 have lasted well for 12,000 miles, now moving to back.

Just had another 2 dropped off today.

Camskill had them but are currently out of stock so picked up a set of two on fleabay.
Maccartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 12:39   #1077
FoxyR

Not sure whether it's appropriate, so please remove if not allowed, as I've popped a thread in 'For sale' bit.

I've sold my XC90 '56 facelift model, so I'm now selling 4 x wheels with winter Nokian tyres, approximately 6mm each. Below is the link to gumtree ad.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims...c90/1275982930
FoxyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 14:53   #1078
GDB

New tyres on the front today, 255/50r19 Uniroyal RS3 £200, plus £20 fitting and old front tyres moved to the rear.

Look and sound good too
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 00:56   #1079
okedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Brown View Post
I have just fitted Michelin cross climate to my xc90,fantastic ,good in the wet quiet,smooth quiet running highly recommended. Ron Brown
I swear by my Cross Climates, I use them on both my cars, worth every penny :-)
okedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 14:26   #1080
Boran
VOC Member

Smile feed back on michelin latitude sport 3

It's time to change the fronts on my car.. Last time I put 4 x michelin latitude sport 3's on. I've done 20,000 miles (mainly wife driving around kids) the rears still have around 4mm left. Overall I have been happy with them, reassuring grip, and being able to stop such a big heavy car.