Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

striker plate for early skinny vent window latches?

Views : 3599

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2015, 13:27   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs4164 View Post
Derek,

The holy grail glue is Loctite 349 and can be seen here - http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Impruv...ds=loctite+349

Got a set of the ones in your link for my current 164E and used them until finding this glue. They definitely work, but they certainly didn't seem as elegant as getting the originals back in place. Plus, aren't they prone to falling off, which, if it occurs at an inopportune time will mean that its essentially lost?
I did some searching re Loctite 349 which ended with me asking Henkel/Loctite about it. Sorry it's long but here are the mails. Looks like it's use at your own risk. It is expensive.
Correspondence with Henkel/Loctite
Information received from online form:
Message: Hi. Loctite 349 has been recommended to me for attaching metal lock mechanisms to glass. These are the locks on the quarter lights on a Volvo 144 car from the '70's. They were originally glued on but over time and being affected by both stress and UV light commonly fail. Many glues have been tried but I'm told this one is the "holy grail". Checking here I see that 349 appears to have been superseded by 350. Can you please confirm that this is true as a local supplier only lists 349. Would a cheap, say £10, UV torch have properties that would give a reliable and consistent cure? Many thanks.
Derek
Subject: Loctite 349
Derek .
Please do not attempt to use this product, it is an industrial grade that needs curing with high intensity UV lamps,
You Need Loctite Rear view mirror bonder kit, ( I know it is not a mirror)
This is a toughen acrylic adhesive, with an active gauze.
Ensure the parts are clean, and once assemble hold in place with tape for a few hours
Best Regards
Mike North
Hello Mike
Thanks for your prompt reply. Not the news I wanted I’m afraid. I can assure you that mirror bond glues of all types have been tried with no success. The success rate with mirrors not too good either although I know that total cleanliness of the surfaces is vital. I personally have had a mirror come off in my hand when trying to adjust it. This after having waited a couple of days for the bond to cure. The thin double sided sticky pads are much better in my opinion. The problem with these window catches is the amount of leverage that takes place each time you close the catch. It is very high and that pulls the catch off the glass. The leverage is of course, continuous after the catch is closed. The adjustment has to be good enough to make a total seal all round to stop leakage both of rain and wind. If adjusted to have only light pressure on the seal it might survive I suppose but tight is good and also helps from a security point of view. It’s a common point of entry for car thieves. Modern cars don’t have quarter lights of course and this is one of the reasons.
I was hoping that a lower rated UV lamp for an extended time, a couple of hours or overnight maybe, would be able to do what the high intensity ones do in seconds. You imply that wouldn’t work. I noted a recommended rating for a curing lamp, 365nm? What is the cheapest way to find a lamp of this power? I doubt it would be cost effective for a one off job, 2 catches, but having it available for loan to others might make it more viable.
I welcome your comments so I can update the thread on the Volvo Owners Club forum. I’d rather have good news to post than having to shoot down the member who said that 349 (now 350? Please confirm) was fit for purpose. Thanks. Derek.
OK understand your frustration, 350 is a UK product. 349 is not sold , and was replaced with 3491
We sell 365 nanometre lamps, but like you say not cost effective for a one off job
As time is no issue then a clear epoxy resin might be a better option
Loctite 3430 would do job in about 15 minutes to gel time, cure in around 3 hours
Best Regards
Mike North
Subject: RE: Loctite 349
Well I did mention cheap and wonder if this will do the job
http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQRP-Profess.../dp/B009E84HB2
or even cheaper
http://www.uvgear.co.uk/product/product277.htm
Worth a try?
I promise I won’t go on too long about this. I don’t have the problem myself, just doing the research for those who do.
Derek
Not recommended.
Mike
Thanks
Derek
END
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 14:36   #12
Triple-S
How Old?

Very interesting, Derek, so still seems that an ideal adhesive is not confirmed. Was about to add that it does, as thought, seem that Mr Volvo changed the design in about 1971, by deleting that extra striker plate - perhaps they found it put too much stress on the adhesive too? I have a few on unknown-age but pre '72 doors but not sure how attached - any ideas?

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 18:35   #13
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

I have used with great success a Loctite structural adhesive on both my front and rear window catches on my 1970 145. (mine has the bonded catches on the rear vent windows too).

It MUST be used with the activator but I cannot quote which numbers they were as I gave the containers to Billy Smalls on here to do his window catches as mine had lasted so well I didn't think I would need it again!

So if your reading this Billy Smalls, please can you share the numbers from the containers as mine have been firmly in place for a few years now in all extremes of temperature where all others have failed once the car gets hot inside.
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 02:31   #14
srs4164

In post #9, I provided a link that brings you to where the following data appears - "Loctite Impruv 349 amber one-part acrylic adhesive is compatible with glass and metal materials" This is also stated there - "Shear Strength 1600 psi, Tensile Strength 1600 psi". I'm no engineer, but that sounds like it could handle a pretty significant amount of leverage. And yes, it isn't inexpensive. However, no UV curing light is required. All you need is the sun.

None of that really matters to me, though. What does is that I used it to reattach my latches over 18 months ago and they're still attached. No, I haven't left the vent windows open that entire time. I drive this car every day and use the latches continually.

Honestly, this Loctite guy sounds like an idiot. First, he states that you should not use this product because it's "industrial grade that needs curing with high intensity UV lamps". It probably works as well as it does because, yes, it is industrial grade. And the only UV rays that were anywhere around when I successfully used this product were coming from the sun. He then tells you to use rear view mirror glass glue, which, as you indicate, definitely won't really work. OK.

I suppose I could be trying to conjure up some scam wherein I sell vent windows with latches that will fall off in your hands in short order, so, I nominate whatever glue WPR678B has used as the holy grail glue. By the way, even if my latches fall off tomorrow, I still feel 1.5 years of usage is pretty good. Not that I expect that to happen, but if it does, I'll definitely just glue them right back on. However, if they stay attached for another few years, then I'll definitely consider this the holy grail glue, whatever that means.

Oh, also, I live in California, so it has definitely gotten hot inside my vehicle repeatedly during this period of time.

Well, lock, load and carry on.
srs4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 06:16   #15
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

I wasn't questioning your choice of glue SRS4164, only replying to Derek UK's request that people share what glue they have had success with and that one has worked for me after trying so many other various glue's previously with no long term success!

Yes it was an industrial grade I used and it wasn't cheap if you only want to glue on a couple of latches but it has worked well hence me passing it on to a fellow owner to do their car too, but in doing that I have also given away the details of the products I used but hopefully he will read this and share.

I'm sure both the types we have used are perfectly suitable and have obviously stood up to whatever has been thrown at them over time so it comes down to availability wherever you are in the world I guess with you in the USA and me in the UK we may only be able to get certain products?
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 11:36   #16
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Hi All

I will look at the codes and names of the stuff WPR678B very kindly gave me and report back - it is great stuff

Will post the info. tonight

cheers
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 21:56   #17
Billy Smalls
Master Member

here we are

Loctite AA 326 Adhesive - Yellow squeezy bottle

after applying

Loctite 7649 Activator - green aerosol

cheers
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 17:44   #18
srs4164

Good to hear there are other alternative glues that may even work better than what I've had my current level of success with. WPR678B and Billy Smalls, I'm definitely interested in hearing how long your reattached latches have stayed on so far. I'm at a little over 1.5 years with mine. I certainly don't expect mine to stay on forever, but that wasn't the case with whatever Volvo originally used either. If it was, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Thanks!
srs4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 20:16   #19
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

I can't remember for sure, but its either just over 2 or 3 years as they kept falling off in the summer when the car got hot inside with other glue's I tried.

I always open the drivers side vent when I drive the car so its used quite often too, but not as often as your daily driver!
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 11:57   #20
Billy Smalls
Master Member

I drive my car at least 6 days a week, every week and I too open and shut the quarter lights all the time (smoker)

I was nervous about the glue holding to start with but now I yank them open without thinking about it and it sits in the sun all summer (we do have sun here!! ha ha)

good luck