Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your S80/V70/XC70 today?

Views : 519888

Replies : 485

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2016, 20:00   #21
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The car is a very well maintained MY2012 XC70 so there is very little to do to it by way of repairs. I have started adding minor modifications and additions:

1. I bought a remote tailgate close module from Evgeny Kosourov and fitted it. Very pleased with the ability to close the tailgate not only with the key fob but also with the dash switch. A great mod.

2. I bought and fitted, although fitting is a gross exaggeration, a heavy duty rubber boot mat which is designed for the MY2012 XC70/V70 range and sits perfectly with raised edges to prevent spillages of liquids ruining the boot carpets.

3. I intended to uprate the sat nav map with on-line map downloads but found that on MY2012 cars this is not possible unless you have the sat nav operating software upgraded by Volvo. They asked £55 for the job and I thought that it was worth it to have free map upgrades for life. Then the main Volvo dealer couldn't get the software update to load and asked Volvo UK to do it remotely by computer internet connection. They couldn't get it to load either and pronounced the sat nav unit faulty. Under the Volvo warranty they replaced the sat nav unit and of course to do so necessitated loading the operating software and the map which were both the latest versions and because this was done under warranty it was free of charge. So I now have a new sat nav which accepts free on-line downloaded map upgrades and which has the latest map loaded without having to pay the £55. Most pleased with that.

I'm looking around for possible ECU rewrites to uprate the power output and hoping some computer literate enthusiast will see the value of fitting some form of more usable mode selection for the suspension system that doesn't involve taking your hand off the wheel and your eyes off the road to fumble behind the transmission selector to find the right setting for the road on which you are driving from moment to moment. Any bright ideas out there?
Old Aug 25th, 2016, 16:49   #22
Bulleidboy

Just fitted a stainless steel rear bumper cover to my 60 plate XC70. Looks good, simple to fit, but you have to be very careful as the self-adhesive strips are "instant grab" - now have a very very small crease in the front edge. Have also fitted a Volvo XC70 Load Liner - it's a sort of stiff grained rubber material - fairly flexible, but fits perfectly. The one in my old 960 was rigid - neighbours always thought I was moving a garden pond! Mud flaps next - I have them but it's raining!

Last edited by Bulleidboy; Aug 25th, 2016 at 16:54.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 01:11   #23
chadders1033

I replaced the disintegrated led parking/side lights with normal ones.
chadders1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2016, 16:25   #24
Bulleidboy

Mud Flaps front and rear now fitted to my XC70. Also collected the cargo load cover, which some how got left at the dealers when I picked the car up a week ago.
Bulleidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 22:53   #25
markuk

Done an oil change on my S80 :-)
markuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 16:37   #26
RM955I
Premier Member

Recently fitted my HIDs with 5000k reflector type bulbs.....awesome: and guess what...no one has flashed me with in my view disproves the view that all HIDs are a blinding, scatter nightmare.

Also polished my windscreen with Cerium Oxide Treo 99%, a 2 inch glass polishing pad and rather than a rotary drill (very messy) attached it to my oscillating multi tool. The results are very good - the flaring from headlights and low sun was so bad I was considering a new windscreen but the results are excellent. All in, £10 for the polishing pad and the Cerium oxide, 45 mins polishing and a good result.
Old Oct 8th, 2016, 23:48   #27
taz777
VOC Member

Still getting to know my newly-acquired S80. Had a 40-item list of things to learn a few days ago. It's down to 14 items now.

Today I checked the engine coolant level, oil level (using the digital gauge), topped up the screenwash, learned what Contrast Mode and Colour Mode was for the dash display, set the wipers parking position, set up the satnav to work the way I want it to work, learned I had no front fog lights, used my new vacuum cleaner to clean the carpet mats, tested out Sports mode, checked the tyre depth (noticed that the dealership had replaced one of the front tyres), deflated the over-inflated tyres to the recommended tyre pressures, loaded up the car with personal knick-knacks (like sunglasses, notepad, pens, umbrella, etc), tried to figure out where I could store my first-aid kit (unsuccessfully) and drove it somewhat enthusiastically for a while.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 07:38   #28
tt82
Forum Support Team

I have fitted LED number plate lights and Phillips cool blue fog lights.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 17:48   #29
taz777
VOC Member

Lots of TLC today. Took the mats out and washed them using a wet vac and I was lucky that we had several hours of sunshine today so allowed them to dry outside. I also used the wet vac to wash the carpets inside the car and the boot area.

Also detailed the wheels and tyres before the heavens opened!
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 23:36   #30
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Default Blue fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I have fitted LED number plate lights and Phillips cool blue fog lights.
Short wavelength blue light is less able to penetrate fog than long wavelength yellow light. This is because the long lazy waveform of yellow light passes between the water molecules in the foggy air while the buzzy short waveform of blue light is wider and strikes more water molecules and scatters. Original fog lights always used to have yellow tinted bulbs. If you have fitted blue light emitting bulbs, the fog lights are less likely to be as helpful in the event of fog and it is illegal to use the things at any other time, so your mod seems to be somewhat self defeating. I suppose it might be considered to look "cool" but personally I prefer systems on my car to be efficacious rather than eye candy although it totally within your right to have whatever colour fog lights you prefer.