Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Canvassing T5 owners - how many are there?

Views : 1426

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2017, 12:00   #1
Welton
Premier Member

Default Canvassing T5 owners - how many are there?

We've lost a few T5 owners in recent weeks, I thought it'd be interesting to ask how many forum members have either an S40 or V50 T5 in their possession and what their future plans are?

I've had mine 8.5 years, still like it, it used to be the main family car but I just use it for work now, cover about 4000 miles a year. it's on 97,000 miles now.

Looking at keeping it indefinitely unless I come into some money and I'm planning on dabbling with a few mods like remapping and exhaust when the original system finally crumbles under its own weight.

I've spent loads on preventative maintenance and currently the car needs nothing mechanically and the bodywork is spot on apart from the corroded wheels.

Overall it's clean, dry, warm, cool, everything works, its never let me down and still goes like a train. There's not really any reason for me to change it.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 12:11   #2
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I've got a 2006 S40 T5 SE Sport which I'll be holding onto for a little while.

Came from a reasonably highly modded T4 so quite underwhelmed by the T5's performance at the moment, it sounds nice, but that's about it.

I assume this is to do with the bigger engine and smaller, low pressure turbo, rather than small engine with a high pressure turbo which gives a real shove when it spools up. The power is very linear on the T5 IMO - Don't get me wrong, it's quick, it just doesn't FEEL quick.

Plans for mine are remap, intercooler, full exhaust and a wheel refurb
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkyMelon For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 13:13   #3
Welton
Premier Member

Indeed, max torque is available from 1500 rpm so it behaves rather like a big diesel. I very rarely exceed 5000 rpm for this reason.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 13:26   #4
domhart10
Volvo S40

Got an S40 T5 2009 here, had it for close to 3 years now which is the longest I had a car.

From having diesels before this was a completely different world, quitter and nicer exhaust sound ... or so I thought till it was moded. Hope to keep the car as long as I can with plans to replace it soon with a commuter car to reduce having to use the S40, so I'm waiting for a good V50 1.6D or 2.0D to pop up at the right price.

Anyway future plans .... this year has been more for service and personally stability to modding has halted a bit but plan to return the S40 to the drag strip and track days

Drag strip 1/4 mile
Standard - 17.0 sec
Modded - 14.5 sec

and looking next year to better that time. Still looking to do the Nurburgring this year but also next year going to try doing more tracks days in the UK again with the S40.

Whats been done to it:
K&N air filter
Jetex Exhaust system
Remap
Ebaich Coils
Set of 17" MSW for winter 225
Set of 18" Focus RS for Summer 235
And of course the Volvo moose sticker

Plans for him:
- Looking at a Voctland suspension kit coils / dampers
- Intercooler upgrade still undecided but looking at custom
- another exhaust update for some custom work with downpipe
- Focus RS injectors
- Focus RS clutch (Just waiting on current one to give out)
- But also nexts service will be looking at getting the block mod done to ensure engine stays fit.

Bought him (Named Toothless) at 45k and have now done 109k

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 14:17   #5
niggly

Welton, if you haven't come across it there is an interesting US forum called C30Crew.
http://www.c30crew.com/mainsite/

The only C30s they imported to the US were T5s, so all the 22,000 they sold into the US (it is an exclusive motor there, of which they are very proud) are T5s. The diesels couldn't get through he US emissions regulations. So probably the same for S40 and V50?

They mod their cars a lot so the forum has useful information relating to the T5.
The Following User Says Thank You to niggly For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 15:24   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

+1 here.
AWD model with M66 so I feel like the choosen one Got it in May 2016 replacing 2003 S40 I had for 6 yrs. I did over 20k miles now as its my daily driver. Replaced a lot but not for tuning - just to restore back its glory (new suspension, brakes, TCV, BPS, FPS, CBV, full haldex flush,refurbished alloys, etc). Did some minor mods like air intake etc and modified lights with bixenon projectors. Car have never failed me so far, except for ocassonal hissy feet with speed sensor fault and CEL related to fuel pressure, but always starts, drives great and sounds incredible.
My only concern for future is loosened exhaust manifold that, if fails again, will cost me arm and leg to fix :/ Apart from that - planning to keep it as long as I can as I have put more money in parts already that I paid for the car plus I really like it. Also, sadly, its not worth much for "average joe" so it would be pity parting with it for few pennies, if I can still afford to keep&maintain it.
Additional plus is spotless interior in light leather that makes it look like 5 year old car (literally nobody I drive with believes me that car is over 12 yrs old).
Volvo forever!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 16:17   #7
t5tony

I have a 2009 S40 T5 SE Sport R Design in passion red, 6 speed manual, 18 inch midir alloy wheels, bluetooth handsfree system and detachable towbar purchased just a month ago. It's the seventh Volvo we've owned since 1989 and we've now covered 570,000 miles in Volvos alone. The last T5 I had was a 1996 S70 which I kept 8 years and took over 220,000 miles. It was a great car and it will be interesting to see how I get on with this one.
t5tony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5tony For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 20:21   #8
Sysyphus

2009 C70 T5 here, had it eight months today, put almost 10,000 miles on it in that time to bring it to 101,000. New tires last month. Barring lottery wins I expect to drive it until it falls apart.

Budgeting for the timing belt replacement next year... considering a polestar tune at that time if I haven't had any nasty surprises before then.
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 12:40   #9
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I've got a 2006 S40 T5 SE Sport which I'll be holding onto for a little while.

Came from a reasonably highly modded T4 so quite underwhelmed by the T5's performance at the moment, it sounds nice, but that's about it.

I assume this is to do with the bigger engine and smaller, low pressure turbo, rather than small engine with a high pressure turbo which gives a real shove when it spools up. The power is very linear on the T5 IMO - Don't get me wrong, it's quick, it just doesn't FEEL quick.

Plans for mine are remap, intercooler, full exhaust and a wheel refurb
I went to a S40 T5 from a V40 T4, and always felt that the T4 seem quicker, as said sure it's down to the High pressure turbo in the T4.

I was also a little disappointed initiall with the T5 as it didn't feel as quick as it was (if that makes sense), I got my remapped by Shark and it was a lot better and felt like a totally different beast after the remap.

Still wish I hadn't sold my T5, I actually sold at the worst time, I've seem similar aged T5's selling now for more than I sold mine for 4 years ago, but my commute nearly trebled, and just couldn't justify the extra fuel costs.

Sadly my commute is back down to about 100 miles a week so I could run a T5 again, but I'm so used to the Diesel mpg now I just can't go back to 30 MPG, & I still get the 5 cylinder noise with my D3 :-)
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 15:46   #10
alexstanleyv50

2004 V50 T5 in flint grey SE trim.

She's at 144k and I have just about got her in tip top condition since buying her in 2013. Probably spent the same amount that she cost!

But in all honesty it is totally worth it. Nicknamed Albert she's the most reliable car I've owned and has been relatively easy to fix on the drive.

Currently used by the wife to transport his little highness around to play groups etc it has taken well to lots of short journeys and is the main family car so does get a good blast at weekends when I'm behind the wheel!

Regarding power you do have to get on it to make it move but when you do it sound great and really does go. I've found from a rolling start if you give it welly and keep going it feel like it will never run out of puff. I'd agree you are always better to drop a cog to get the power on but I'm not afraid to take her to the limiter.

Plans are to just keep her going - bodywork has the usual car park dinks, scuffed bumpers and the leather interior could do with some TLC. 6 CD auto-changer is bust but I know the fix as is the aircon but we've managed without it for 4 years...

I don't think I will ever get rid. It will either fall apart in hopefully the very distant future or it will serve its ultimate purpose in saving my/the wifes/his lordships life one day... that is a sad thought...

2004 V50 T5 SE 6 Speed Manual The Death Star...
2009 S40 2.0i R-Design 5 Speed Manual The Flash Car...
alexstanleyv50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexstanleyv50 For This Useful Post: