Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Canvassing T5 owners - how many are there?

Views : 1422

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 12:45   #11
poiuytre111

I also have a T5 C70 bought early this year and now with 118k miles on it. Feels nicely run-in.

Given that max power comes at a modest ~5000 rpm, I was suspicious that the common remaps are primarily adding power by extending the power range to 6k or so - can anyone comment ?

The thing I like about this engine is that it feels like a good 3 litre rather than a turbo-enhanced smaller engine. While I would welcome more power/torque at the same lazy revs, I have little use for 40 more bhp between 5000 and 6000.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2017, 13:32   #12
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
I also have a T5 C70 bought early this year and now with 118k miles on it. Feels nicely run-in.

Given that max power comes at a modest ~5000 rpm, I was suspicious that the common remaps are primarily adding power by extending the power range to 6k or so - can anyone comment ?

The thing I like about this engine is that it feels like a good 3 litre rather than a turbo-enhanced smaller engine. While I would welcome more power/torque at the same lazy revs, I have little use for 40 more bhp between 5000 and 6000.
You get all the new power throughout the whole power band. The extra 30-40hp and 100 odd nm of torque are available from the moment you lift off, it's not just higher up the rev range.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 12:29   #13
PhilJ82

I've just acquired a V50 T5 SE Sport. It's a 57 plate on 92k miles.
Enjoying it so far, although it's developed a couple of issues this week
PhilJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 22:03   #14
mattygt4

Hey guys I'm new to all this, my brother in law has finally managed to change my mind and switch to swede power from the German bmw contingent. I have just purchased my first volvo, it's a Red T5 V50, 6 speed box, 18" pretty high mileage at 153k but a cracking looking car for the price. It has got the R-Design kit on it as well as a Heico grill. Great history and definitely a bargain.

As for mods, I can see some chrome mirror caps coming, may be an exhaust mod to get that 5 cylinder block singing a different tune, other than that I will just keep it as is as love the sleeper and stealth of the t5 and R's
mattygt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattygt4 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 22:07   #15
aland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygt4 View Post
Hey guys I'm new to all this, my brother in law has finally managed to change my mind and switch to swede power from the German bmw contingent.
That would be me then.
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 17:21   #16
ZeroCube

Smile

Hello from Czech Republic, me and my girlfriend are fresh C70 T5 '07 Geartronic owners.
Firstly we need car for my girlfriend with two doors, petrol engine with FWD, automatic transmission, BOTH front electric seats with heating function and good trunk. Primarily we looked for Saab 9-3 but we can't find any with our requirements. Now we have fully loaded T5 (with DynAudio, RTI and integrated phone) with BSR performance upgrade.

P.S.: my girlfriend is on a wheelchair and his C70 have pedals operated by hands.
Girlfriend's Volvo
Volvo C70 T5 Summum AT '07

Last edited by ZeroCube; Sep 7th, 2017 at 17:30.
ZeroCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 01:57   #17
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

S40 T5's are so rare these days.

Including my own, I've only ever seen 2 S40 T5 and 1 V50 T5.

However, if you want ultra exclusivity, consider upgrading to a V40 T5 (2.5 250bhp).

Those are extremely rare in the UK, but unfortunately are auto only.
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 07:49   #18
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post

This is, as someone else has described it on here, a Shandy T5 engine really. It's a low pressure turbo (LPT) rather than the high pressure turbo (HPT) of the proper T5 engines in the larger cars. This means it has less turbo lag, and more torque low down, but less top end power because the little turbocharger can't flow enough air. An LPT turbocharger is more about fattening out the torque curve than outright TURBO POWER, which makes for a more driveable but less exciting car.

I don't think the little C1 platform cars could cope with the heat output or the power output of a 260BHP HPT T5 engine and meet the necessary requirements for reliability and consistent power output across all environments.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 08:56   #19
INS60T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
We've lost a few T5 owners in recent weeks, I thought it'd be interesting to ask how many forum members have either an S40 or V50 T5 in their possession and what their future plans are?
I bought a V50 T5 SE Lux off another forum member earlier in the year. It's a '57 plate and now has just over 55k miles on the clock. Hasn't needed much other than a wheel bearing and petrol.
Became clear after purchase that the clutch is goosed so a new clutch and DMF are getting fitted in the next week or so.

Once through an MOT I might put it up for sale as my S60 (not a T5.... or an 'R'... sadly) is back on the road. If the S60 sells I'll keep the V50.

If I keep the V50 then I will definitely move to Bilstein struts, they've made a huge difference to the S60 and although the 'V' feels pretty fresh I would like to make it 'just so'.

Other than that I will definitely fit a hands-free and bluetooth kit to the car. I have a Bury system kicking around that I might fit and try and integrate with the standard (and very basic) stereo system.
INS60T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 23:01   #20
CraigV50

I have an 06 V50 SE Sport T5, had it 2.5 years, now at 102k; love the car, but it has had a few niggles.

Slowly modding, with Elevate IC, Snabb intake, K&N filter, Elevate torque mount & an MTE S1 map from Don. Car definitely has more 'zest' to it! Audio-wise, I like the standard look so have fitted a Dension Gateway to play tunes from the iPhone and have recently added their DAB USB unit, which is an expensive way to play 6Music!

When funds allow, Ferrita exhaust.....
CraigV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigV50 For This Useful Post: