Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best fuel additive?

Views : 4477

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2017, 10:55   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

It was an ex police post 2010 V70 with twin turbo D5. I checked the location on similar models and the IC sensor is downstream.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 11:08   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
It was an ex police post 2010 V70 with twin turbo D5. I checked the location on similar models and the IC sensor is downstream.
Ok well in any case, you can quickly prove or disprove his argument using cheap diagnostics to obtain the IAT on both cars, assuming they're a similar setup.
I wouldn't have entertained any argument that uses an IR thermometer.
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 15:43   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
I've met the guy. We had a massive discussion on whether there was any benefits to painting intercoolers black. His was and he proved it was better by using a IR thermal temperature sensor to read the surface temperature of the IC which was lower than an unpainted one. I pointed out that the black paint was acting as insulation and stopping the IR sensor getting a true reading of the surface temperature and that the true test was of the air inside the IC via the IC sensor, not the surface temperature of the IC. When he tried suggesting that this wouldn't work as the sensor was prior to the IC and not after it, I gave up. I personally wouldn't buy something from somebody who can't get the physics of IC cooling correct.
He has a point, the rate at which a material can absorb or dissipate heat via Infra Red radiation is proportional to colour, black being the most effective. However the vast majority of heat transfer from an intercooler is by convection so the difference would be negligible I expect.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 17:44   #14
tt82
Forum Support Team

Well this is the video that is referred to by fans of those who paint their intercoolers black ....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

.... and this is the video which has a more scientific approach and disproves it all!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I know which I believe.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 19:27   #15
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I love those guys.... watched a lot of their vids. Electric Superchargers from EBay is my favorite.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2017, 22:40   #16
davebb
Premier Member

Hi my 2002 D5 does have the IAT sensor before the intercooler,
But I have now fitted a vw bosch 3bar T-MAP sensor , so now I am going to connect a data logger and log the temp/boost pressure, with and with out the 2 Horns in the way off the cooling, to see if moving them helps,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2017, 15:14   #17
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
I've met the guy. We had a massive discussion on whether there was any benefits to painting intercoolers black. His was and he proved it was better by using a IR thermal temperature sensor to read the surface temperature of the IC which was lower than an unpainted one. I pointed out that the black paint was acting as insulation and stopping the IR sensor getting a true reading of the surface temperature and that the true test was of the air inside the IC via the IC sensor, not the surface temperature of the IC. When he tried suggesting that this wouldn't work as the sensor was prior to the IC and not after it, I gave up. I personally wouldn't buy something from somebody who can't get the physics of IC cooling correct.
In any case did you buy any of his stuff?

I really, really, REALLY don't like the notion that his products 'work' on the basis of hear-say and reviews from customers.
I'll remain skeptical but the dyno test results are interesting to say nonetheless.

Products:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5619...1918317168788/

Dyno Test:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

I won't say snakeskin oil just yet but wouldn't mind trying to test some of the products objectively as possible, having a D5 what most interests me are the injector cleaner and diesel power plus.
The latter of which may be testable via OBDII data logging.