Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance - Best Ways To Insure Multiple Cars

Views : 1327

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2017, 22:41   #1
DSK
C70 T5

Default Insurance - Best Ways To Insure Multiple Cars

I've insured 2-3 cars simultaneously for the past 10 years or so. This has been under multi-car insurance policies and individual policies etc etc.

Despite no, points, claims, conviction or wrong doing, as with many others, my insurance premiums are becoming a PITA compared to what they used to be.

I'd like to get another 3rd now but, I just can't be ar$ed to be taken for a ride by insurers as I'm now paying similar rates to what I was 10 years ago on high performance cars!

So, what alternative methods do you use for insuring more than 1 vehicle? I have heard of individuals getting trade insurance but, I'm not sure how this works for inviduals. Are there any little insurance companies we've not heard of that are run by genuine human beings who provide sensible quotes for those with multiple vehicles?

If anyone from the insurance companies see's this, please don't bother replying with 'give us a try' as I have been insured with a few of you only to get year on year premium hikes.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 23:55   #2
PhilJ82

I use a multi car policy for my two cars, V50 T5 and BMW M3. Admiral mirrored my ncb for both cars, and I'm paying £550 fully comp for a total of 18k miles.
They send me a ridiculous renewal each year, 10 mins on the phone to them and it becomes a lot more reasonable.
PhilJ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhilJ82 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 00:05   #3
DSK
C70 T5

PhilJ82 - Admiral used to be OK for me some years ago, insuring the Supra and 2 x Volvo's. Renewals slowly went up but a few years ago enough was enough to force me to shop around. Got a far superior quote from Chris Knotts even with high mileage but, I need to shop around again for next year as that's now a **** take. With CK I had each of the 3 cars insured on their own. Admiral's was a mirrored multi car policy.

Regardless of how these mainstream insurers do it, when they take the ****, and you have to multiply the **** by the number of cars you have, all with co-termed renewal which is payed outright each time, it can seriously boil ones blood.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 11:02   #4
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi DSK,

If you wished we can take a look at providing you with cover for the cars you have? If you wanted to PM your full name and a telephone number I can arrange for a colleague to contact you?

Many thanks

Dan
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 13:08   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
PhilJ82 - Admiral used to be OK for me some years ago, insuring the Supra and 2 x Volvo's. Renewals slowly went up but a few years ago enough was enough to force me to shop around. Got a far superior quote from Chris Knotts even with high mileage but, I need to shop around again for next year as that's now a **** take. With CK I had each of the 3 cars insured on their own. Admiral's was a mirrored multi car policy.

Regardless of how these mainstream insurers do it, when they take the ****, and you have to multiply the **** by the number of cars you have, all with co-termed renewal which is payed outright each time, it can seriously boil ones blood.
Completely agree with you, Admiral used to be good but just hike your prices unless you tell them you are leaving. Tired of doing this now so will be searching else where this month

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 13:21   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

Best way - multi car policy! Cheapest way - do the comparison sites and ring round.

It seems that you have to do that with everything nowadays to get the best deal, car insurance, house insurance, gas/electric supplier, phone/satellite/cable provider, mobile network. Whenever your contract is up, you either pay through the nose on renewal or accept the hassle to save money.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 15:47   #7
Thorn

I was with Admiral till last month. Their renewal quote was too high. Direct Line gave me a far lower quote. I didn't give Admiral a chance to match it. They had their chance and blew it.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 16:26   #8
green van man
Premier Member

I run 2 cars and have them on their own policy. Due to the very differing uses they get a multi car policy would just be hassel. The landrover is used off road, imagine trying to tell admiral or direct line etc it got away from you and you have demolished a farmer's drystone wall. It's not a problem with nfu they understand landrovers and where they go, they are by no means the cheapest but in the event of an off road incident they will be the easiest to deal with.
The Volvo is with Volvo insurance.

Both policies went DOWN by £50 or so this year, still £300+ but you get what you pay for and they give me what I want.

We're I running a classic then I would look at the limited milage offerings they attract but I much prefer seperate policy with different companies, just makes my life simpler.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 19:43   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have four cars: One classic insured on an agreed value and limited mileage, the other three are on mainstream policies each insured individually. Much, much cheaper for me than a multi - car policy.

My son has two cars: again insured separately as much cheaper.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 20:08   #10
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Trade policies are for, what for it.....for TRADERS, that's people who are in business in the car trade it can be a sole part time seller, a car valet who needs road cover or a part time mechanic as well as the big boys. The main criteria is that you must be in some way have some dealing or employment otherwise getting a trade policy is fraud so you can use a trade policy just because you have more than one car.
The downside to having a trade policy is that if a car is total los they only pay trade value and you are not with most cover allowed to drive your spouses car unless it in connection with your trade and yes they do sometimes check you are actually somehow trading.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote