Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance - Best Ways To Insure Multiple Cars

Views : 1328

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2017, 14:39   #11
tt82
Forum Support Team

Also trade policies can exclude social, domestic and pleasure use, so when you are nipping to the local Tesco with the family on board, it is possible for the car to seized by Police for driving with no insurance. (Seen it done on a UK Police TV show)

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 19:52   #12
DSK
C70 T5

So sounds like those who suggested trade insurance would then be driving illegally (technically) themselves as they are not trade in anyway and cover may not include the usual SD&P that personal folks need.

Seems like there's no gems so I'll have to go back to basics and do what most of us now do, just spend hours on the phone to various insurers, going over the same old twaddle to see who can offer the right cover the cheapest.

I think I may try and hunt harder and try some of the none big names. If I find any worth mentioning, I'll list them.

DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX - I used to be happily insured with yourselves in my younger days but in recent years Adrian Flux's quotes were not competitive. I even insured my Superbike with your BikeSure side of motorcycle insurance last year (despite having a clean and long history with Bikesure) only to be annoyed by the endless admin tasks. I cancelled the policy within a month, paid more and moved to MC Edwards without any bother.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 19:30   #13
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX View Post
Hi DSK,

If you wished we can take a look at providing you with cover for the cars you have? If you wanted to PM your full name and a telephone number I can arrange for a colleague to contact you?

Many thanks

Dan
Tell me the truth, please. I realise your an insurance broker, but try really hard.

WHY do several cars cost more to insure? I can only drive them one at a time! Why? Justify the notion.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 21:44   #14
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Tell me the truth, please. I realise your an insurance broker, but try really hard.

WHY do several cars cost more to insure? I can only drive them one at a time! Why? Justify the notion.

are you the only driver of all the vehicles?
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2017, 22:04   #15
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Well not always. When my daughter passed her test we put her on the insurance but with Admiral she was listed as an 'occasional driver', I was main driver and my wife second driver on my car and vice-versa on the wife's car with my daughter as an occasional on mine. Obviously I could be driving mine while the wife drove hers and my daughter could only drive when neither me or the wife wanted my car.
It got stranger when my son passed his test, to add him as an occasional driver on my wife's Almera, where he would only be third in the queue was going to cost about £3k per year, to insure him on his own Peugeot 307, which he drives all the time, was £2k ??? Still haven't figured out how those sums add up.

The other thing to remember is it's not actually worked out on the basis of 'he sounds dodgy', 'we don't like plumbers', or 'he's got two cars and he can only drive one' or any other apparent prejudice. It's done by actuaries who look at all of the claims they've paid out on and work out what those claimants had in common, like age or jobs, and then estimate the risk for someone of that age and job in the future.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 17:18   #16
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Whilst one person can only drive one car at a time the other cars are still going to be sat around so could be stolen or damaged and therefore the risk is higher than if you had a single vehicle.

Presumably, if you were lucky enough to have invested your savings into a lovely Cornish cottage with a sea view as a second home, then you'd have insurance cover for 12 months of the year rather than just the odd weekend when you spend time there, inspite of the fact that you can only be in one house at a time.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 17:57   #17
canis
Non Fragile

As a ratio between cost of ownership and cost of insurance cover, there is a vast difference between a lovely cornish cottage and a beaten up old transit.
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 12:57   #18
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Possibly something to do with the chance of crashing the lovely Cornish cottage into a bus stop full of kids waiting for the school bus being lower than when driving the transit .
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 06:13   #19
canis
Non Fragile

Which brings us neatly back to my original point - I can only crash one car at a time.
Old Sep 10th, 2017, 10:11   #20
Simon Jones
Premier Member

...but your other car could be nicked, damaged or catch fire while you're busy crashing the other car . There is still a cost to the insurance company to repair / replace a vehicle whether is being driven or sat on the road outside your house.
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post: