Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT and suspension bushes

Views : 861

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 10:24   #1
Matt A V70

Default MOT and suspension bushes

Hello all

Does anyone know if the rear trailing arm bushes are inspected as part of the MOT for a V70?

I've had an authorised dealer tell me that mine are both shot and must be replaced but since then my car has been elsewhere for its MOT and they only picked up a bit of play on the front offside tie rod. The VOSA inspection manual seems to require inspection of the suspension, front and rear including trailing arms and an MOT certificate should be refused if there is "deterioration of a rubber, synthetic bush or mounting resulting in excessive movement".

So I'm left wondering whether the bushes weren't inspected, or they were but there is no excessive movement and so they don't need replacing yet?

Unfortunately I have no means of inspecting them (and probably wouldn't know what I was looking for if I did!)

Many thanks in advance if you are able to assist!
Matt A V70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 12:51   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I've got a Golf that goes to same tester every year. Some years, I get an advisory on rear bushes & some years I don't, despite them not having been renewed in the meantime.

Just had mail dealer service which includes a free health check from which they then email you a video of the underside of the vehicle. One of my bushes is in a bad way while the other one has been replaced not long ago. Got an MOT within the month so will get it replaced & then full wheel alignment as I've just had 4 new Pirellis fitted and don't want to wear them out prematurely.

I seem to recall reading there's a Ford equivalent part which is cheaper than Volvo - can anyone confirm pls?
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 13:00   #3
Matt A V70

Thanks Simon, the dealer did actually email me a link to a video showing worn bushes, along with pictures of my car on the hydraulic lift. But the images weren't on a continuous video and given some other shenanigans they were trying on I was very suspicious that the bushes shown weren't on my car.

And now that it has passed the MOT at an independent garage without them being flagged I'm even more suspicious!
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 13:09   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If the bushes are part of the suspension then yes they are tested. They can be failed if they are worn resulting in excessive movement, and/or they are in the last few percent of their life and failure is imminent/they are insecure.

Volvo (and most other franchise) dealers are notoriously strict on bushes - you should get the same experience with an MOT test wherever you go.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 15:34   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

Yes they should be inspected but, they are covered/hidden by a plastic shield and MOT inspectors are NOT allowed to remove such items to inspect these bushes . If you know they are worn it will pay to get them done as car will be quieter and feel better over bumps . Many cars have passed an MOT with shot trailing arm bushes because of their hidden away position . A sign that they are worn is a squeaking sound especially with rear passengers . This squeak will stop in wet driving conditions . The covers are easy to remove and a pry bar will show up any sideways movement on the bushes . Also look for rust where they fit into the trailing arm and cracks in the rubber.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 20:18   #6
Matt A V70

Thank you Model flyer.

What that means is that a car might be unroadworthy and should have failed the MOT but has passed because a fault is hidden. There could be other potentially lethal problems hidden behind that plastic panel and still a vehicle can pass the test?
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 21:31   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt A V70 View Post
Thank you Model flyer.

What that means is that a car might be unroadworthy and should have failed the MOT but has passed because a fault is hidden. There could be other potentially lethal problems hidden behind that plastic panel and still a vehicle can pass the test?

In essence - yes. The MOT test isn't all things to all men and doesn't contain processes or inspections specific to any make or model.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 10:19   #8
Rooster
Speed freak

I did the 3 day MOT course last year and after nearly 18 years in trade it just seemed to go against alot of what ive learn't over years,

These rear bushes been one of the things, yeah you might know they are shot but because they are behind a plastic panel and not visible then they carn't fail on them for excessive movement,

Another thing is brake discs condition, they can be well below minimum specs or be that corroded theres no surface left, but pads are ok and they pass brake roller test efficency test then you carn't fail vehicle on them,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 11:15   #9
Matt A V70

Thanks all, so in essence this means I can't rely on the MOT, which I guess means taking the car to someone who can take off the panels and that I have to trust
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 11:16   #10
Matt A V70

Just to add, there is no obvious sign to me that the bushes are gone - no strange noises, no uneven tire wear, no back end sliding around all over the road etc!