Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

In Market of S40 - Advise Needed

Views : 488

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 13:25   #1
Element888

Question In Market of S40 - Advise Needed

Looking to buy used S40. Advise needed, for which engine to look for. Any known issues and things to look for on these model of cars.
Are petrol engines reliable on S40 ?
Any years I should avoid?
Gearbox, electrics issues?
Any advise will help.
Thanks
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 15:46   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Hi Gints

My shameless copy and paste which I think I post every time and add to it, so apologies if I'm covering stuff you already know. S40 wise it depends on what you want, the petrol range is made up from the Ford Sigma 1.6 100ps which is a pretty solid unit, my C30 was one of these and other than being a bit slow it was faultless. Then the 1.8 Mazda MZR 125ps which is basically the engine from an MX-5 and is also generally sound, it's big brother is the 2.0 MZR 145ps which is a fair bit quicker and just as frugal. Then there was the 2.4 Volvo 170ps 5 cylinder which is a pretty bulletproof proven unstressed engine in a C30 but a bit juicy and to top it off the 2.5 T5 5 cylinder with either 220 or 230ps depending on the age. Ultimately the same engine as the Focus ST and seem to be fault free but very thirsty things!

Diesel wise start with the 1.6D Ford/PSA DV6 110ps originally 16v which have the most issues with DPF's as they are a service item, 75,000 miles between changes and 37,500 between fluid fills, have turbo issues of not properly serviced. These later used in the early DRIVe models. Replaced by the 8 valve unit with 115ps and dry DPF which is more robust and there are very few reported faults with these. There's the 2.0D Ford/PSA DW10 136ps engine and some of these don't have a DPF which is nice. I had one in my S40 and was a nice robust engine, frugal and quick, no major issues. Then the 2.0 D3 and D4 Volvo 5 cylinder diesels which replaced the 2.0D which are either 150 or 177ps also an engine that will do 300,000 miles and for a bit the range topper was the 2.4 D5 with 177ps and it's just a longer stroke version of the 2.0 Volvo diesel.

Of those, automatic wise you have 2.4i, T5, D3 D4 and D5's to pick from with the Geartronic box which is an Aisin Warner TF80-SC box, common unit and usually sound, have the oil changed at 80-100k, they say it's sealed for life but they're better when they're changed then. The 2.0D has a Ford Powershift twin clutch manual box which works like an auto and these are a nightmare if they go wrong but I haven't seen any issues like VAG's DSG box. Other than a hesitant pull away on some of them (some cars do and some don't) I don't know of any quirks they have. They are better on diesel than a regular auto as well.

The rest of the car is generally sound, watch for non functioning electrical items as the CEM that controls it all is liable to get kicked as it is under the glovebox, S and R-Design models are a bit poverty spec so if you want an R-Design get a well optioned one or an SE or SE Lux, the T-Tec upholstery in the R-Design and SE can sometimes split and crack and it expensive to repair. The headlights are rubbish on these cars, the beams need adjusting up a bit to get the best out of them. If it's an early one with the old centre console and no aux port fitting one can be a nightmare if the car has High Performance Audio so try and get one with it if you want it. My current 50 is a 12 plate with 130k on the clock, I wouldn't avoid a high miler at all. They cheapened the trim down slightly toward the end of their lifespan but otherwise they are a solid motor and a really good all rounder. I really like mine

Hope that helps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 11:47   #3
Element888

Sasha, thanks a lot for your intro into S40 world - very useful.
Looks like I will be after 1.8 petrol model with ford he chain driven engine.
Shame not many around there with lowish mileage + SE or R-Design trim.
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Element888 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2017, 16:32   #4
nmmg

Hi Element888,

After you buy your car you can ask for a full check up on Volvo for around 43£.
I did it on my Volvo C30 and they covered everything such as motor, interiors, bodywork and safety.

It's not a tip about the car, but can be useful to know the general condition of the car.

Last edited by nmmg; Sep 24th, 2017 at 16:37.
nmmg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nmmg For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2017, 16:25   #5
domhart10
Volvo S40

If there are any T5's around go try one out and see what you think.

They definitely are thirsty when you have the throttle down but they aren't too bad when you take it easy

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo s40