Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bloody Tyre is Damaged - Help

Views : 1302

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2012, 19:03   #1
GrantA
Master Member

Question Bloody Tyre is Damaged - Help

Just checking my tyres before the long drive from SW France to Inverness and I have found 2 "nicks" in the side wall of one of the front tyres. Not badly damaged about half the size of a 10p piece in 2 places - looks like I've gone over some'at that has cut the nicks into the side wall, they are not completely taken out just a little flap bit. I am going to try and get the front (2) replaced tomorrow, the French tyre stations will NOT replace a single tyre they will only do axle pairs - apparently it is the law in France but that is another discussion!!

My question is, the car is an XC70 MY09 so can I just replace the front 2 tyres or will I have to replace all 4 due to the fact it is a Volvo 4x4 with a Haldex rear wheel drive?? The tyres were all new Pirelli Scorpion Zeroes in March and have only done about 6k miles, fronts are down to 6.5mm to 7mm tread and the rears are 7.5mm to 8mm. What is the depth of tread on a new tyre?? (You never check new tyres do you!!)

If the new tread depth is no more than 10mm I reckon I'll get away with it, what do you think???? All advice greatly received as the clock is ticking and I need to get these tyres in the next couple of days - if I can find Pirellis in this area of France that is!! I did read about alternative tyres on here a while back but what would be a good (quiet) alternative to the Pirelli bearing in mind it is France and tyres here are either from the main manufactures or crappy unknowns.
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 19:49   #2
kid volvo

is the cut deep iscord showing
kid volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kid volvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 20:12   #3
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Normal summer & winter tyres come with 8mm - I presume this would be the same but, never having owned any 4-wheel drive vehicle, I can't be 100% certain.
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to St Evelyn For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2012, 20:18   #4
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid volvo View Post
is the cut deep iscord showing
No cord showing, it looks like just the surface has been cut at an angle but not deeply - just enough to have a little "flap" of rubber between half the size of a 10p or 5p coin.

PS. Think I've found the answer to the new tyre tread depth here: http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/tread_depth.asp looks like it about 9mm or thereabouts unless the Pirelli tyres for Volvo 4x4 have a specifically deeper tread.

Last edited by GrantA; Oct 7th, 2012 at 21:50.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 17:32   #5
clivea
clivea

Last year I removed two front Assimetricos at 3mm and moved the rears to the front, they were at 6.5mm. Then two new Assimetricos went on the back and I have now done about 10000 miles. Haven't noticed any difference in the car or untoward noises but would be interested to read a technically based reply too.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 17:56   #6
clivea
clivea

www.vaglinks.com/.../HaldexTraction.co...File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Haldex Traction Systems, a division in the Haldex group, has been ... software architecture in next generation's AWD vehicles. .... Limited/full AWD function with Run-flat-tyres. .... pumping oil to piston #3, which ...

Sorry about the big cut and paste links not easy on iPod! But the Haldex Gen 3 is stated as unaffected by tyre wear difference or pressure difference. Need to trawl into the document.

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 18:03   #7
clivea
clivea

Here's a working link

http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Misc/Ha...ion_System.pdf

The Following User Says Thank You to clivea For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 16:44   #8
GrantA
Master Member

Thanks for that Clive, it is what I thought, I have trawled through the attachment and it is very comprehensive, that plus your own experience is very reassuring.

Just driven from the house we have just sold in France to my brother's place 2 hours north and managed to get (both) the front tyres replaced with new Pirelli Scorpions, only possible problem is they are "Verde" and not the original "Zeroes". I have checked on the Internet and the only difference I can see is they are not "Assimetricos" and are an "Eco" version so not so good on snow - and I am heading for Inverness!! As I said before when I checked the rear tyres they were hardly worn and have about 7.5mm to 8mm of tread, the new ones are at 9mm so no significant difference. The French tyre fitter here had never seen a Volvo XC70 before and started off shaking his head saying he couldn't change just 2 tyres on a permanent 4x4 (possibly he might have come across something written about the older Haldex couplings on Phase 1 and 2 XC70s) but when I showed him there was only (about) 1mm difference in the treads he was happy to change only the fronts - phew - didn't fancy changing 3 perfectly good tyres!! When you change a tyre in France the fitters always insist that they must change both tyre on the same axle and they have to be the same brand and type, I was prepared for this hence the reason both fronts were changed. The one with damage on the side wall doesn't look too bad but it is damaged and I have over 1,000 miles to drive on a variety of roads over the next few days so will not take any chances. I have kept the old undamaged tyre and it can stay here in France until I return to pick it up next year.

Haven't been able to get on the Internet over the last few days and we are off again in the morning so thanks for all the help and I'll sign back in when we get an Internet connection or when we arrive in sunny (sic) Inverness.

Last edited by GrantA; Oct 11th, 2012 at 16:47.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 20:01   #9
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantA View Post
Thanks for that Clive, it is what I thought, I have trawled through the attachment and it is very comprehensive, that plus your own experience is very reassuring.

Just driven from the house we have just sold in France to my brother's place 2 hours north and managed to get (both) the front tyres replaced with new Pirelli Scorpions, only possible problem is they are "Verde" and not the original "Zeroes". I have checked on the Internet and the only difference I can see is they are not "Assimetricos" and are an "Eco" version so not so good on snow - and I am heading for Inverness!! As I said before when I checked the rear tyres they were hardly worn and have about 7.5mm to 8mm of tread, the new ones are at 9mm so no significant difference. The French tyre fitter here had never seen a Volvo XC70 before and started off shaking his head saying he couldn't change just 2 tyres on a permanent 4x4 (possibly he might have come across something written about the older Haldex couplings on Phase 1 and 2 XC70s) but when I showed him there was only (about) 1mm difference in the treads he was happy to change only the fronts - phew - didn't fancy changing 3 perfectly good tyres!! When you change a tyre in France the fitters always insist that they must change both tyre on the same axle and they have to be the same brand and type, I was prepared for this hence the reason both fronts were changed. The one with damage on the side wall doesn't look too bad but it is damaged and I have over 1,000 miles to drive on a variety of roads over the next few days so will not take any chances. I have kept the old undamaged tyre and it can stay here in France until I return to pick it up next year.

Haven't been able to get on the Internet over the last few days and we are off again in the morning so thanks for all the help and I'll sign back in when we get an Internet connection or when we arrive in sunny (sic) Inverness.
Bit opf a rush - so not very helpful (apologies)

I read somewhere that yoy should not mix ordinary tyres with asymmetricos - but have no idea why, might be a good idea to do a google and set your mind at rest.

Pedant- it's only the early - up to and including 2003 models that had a "goo box" coupling that wound up with different tyre sizes. it was NOT a Haldex, all Haldex transmissions don't worry about tyre sizes.
TrueBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 21:57   #10
GrantA
Master Member

TrueBlue, the tyre sizes are the same specifications 235/55 R 17 - 99V any differences will be minimal although there will be a difference in the tyre tread pattern. If you read Clive's link on Haldex couplings you will see that the Phase 3 coupling is far more tolerant of size and wear differences.

Anyway arrived in Inverness safe and sound after 3 days of driving and a 6 hour ferry crossing - now to start house hunting!!