Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide to Pollen Filter change

Views : 70117

Replies : 201

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:59   #101
Petey80
Premier Member

Well done, glad it all went well for you.

I'm still a few thousand miles away from doing this yet but this guide and all the extra tips will be invaluable.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 11:51   #102
Sk8ir

Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. Just done mine this morning - it did indeed take about an hour (but should be a lot quicker next time, now I've had some practice!).

Wouldn't have wanted to do this without the guide, it really was a life saver. Nice and clear, pictures especially helpful.
Sk8ir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 15:30   #103
cadge1

What model is this as I have v60 and need to check mine
cadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 14:01   #104
Bigchewie

Thanks for the post, Haynes didn't say to remove the bracket, I got the old one out with out it, but struggled to get the new one in, dropped a nut down the back, it can stay there for now.
Bigchewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 18:28   #105
Petey80
Premier Member

As the original has lost it's pictures, I changed mine today and took some to help everyone.

What a pain in the ass job, but only because of the CEM fuse box and it's bracket.

If that wasn't in the way, the job would be so much easier and quicker.

So without further ado, I give you a guide to changing the pollen filter;

Tools used;

Torx screwdriver set
Ratchet with extender bar and 13mm socket
Plastic Pry Tools
Few bits of skin
A lot of patience and a bit of brute force

The new filter and the trusty old Haynes manual

pollenfilter by Pete, on Flickr

I started by taking the insulation off from under the CEM unit

pollenfilter1 by Pete, on Flickr

This is held on with little push pin rivets

pollenfilter2 by Pete, on Flickr

Well, one side was, the other side on mine has been butchered and fitted with a cardboard washer and larger plastic screw

pollenfilter3 by Pete, on Flickr

pollenfilter4 by Pete, on Flickr

I then had a look at the area and I found it to be far too tight to remove and install a pollen filter so proceeded to remove the glove box

I removed this piece of trim from directly behind the waterfall. This is necessary as the end of the glove box sits behind it.

pollenfilter5 by Pete, on Flickr

Then I took the trim off the passenger side of the glove box

pollenfilter6 by Pete, on Flickr

Then I removed the larger glove box, then the smaller inner glove box and I was presented with the below

pollenfilter7 by Pete, on Flickr

A closer look and there's the pollen filter cabin

pollenfilter8 by Pete, on Flickr

Unscrewing the white screw you can see above releases the door from the cabin and you can then see the filter

pollenfilter9 by Pete, on Flickr

I then managed to pull the old filter out and put it up against the new one

pollenfilter10 by Pete, on Flickr

Exactly the same size/dimensions, however the part number is 1 digit different.

Visually it has thicker spines and is a lot more sturdier than the old one. This presented a problem when I tried to put the new one back in the same way I pulled the old one out.

As it was far too stiff to manoeuvre into position, I had no other choice but to remove the CEM bracket holder.

Firstly I had to get the CEM unit off the bracket which was a right pain. The below picture shows the guides on the CEM that have to be taken off the bracket

pollenfilter12 by Pete, on Flickr

The white bit on the left sticking off the CEM unit.

It really is just a matter of moving it around as best you can to get it off. It does help with room if you pull the carpet down a little bit.

Once that was removed from the bracket, it dropped down even further and allowed better access to the bolts holding the bracket on

pollenfilter13 by Pete, on Flickr

Ratchet and long extension bar with a 13mm socket on to remove the nuts. Going off the other how to guide on here, be sure not to drop the nuts as they will go down behind the carpet that you have folded down.
I ended up getting the nuts so far off then using my fingers for the last few turns.

So this is how the bracket usually sits in front of the cabin filter cabin door

pollenfilter14 by Pete, on Flickr

Pretty much blocking access to it. Especially when you have quite a rigid cabin filter.

But, once the bolts are off and the bracket is lowered, you get this access

pollenfilter15 by Pete, on Flickr

LOADS better. Just a shame it takes so much to get to this point

With the bracket lowered out of the way, the new filter went in easily. The above picture has the new filter in place.

All done and put back together.

Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 10:27   #106
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Congrats on it! Thou shall not understand suffering who has not replaced pollen filter on P1... :P

I would only add that in my case removing glovebox was absolutely not needed, however I chose to go with full CEM disconnection route. Its probably down to preferences, but found this way much easier. Also allowed me to contact-spray the connectors and check all relays.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 13:52   #107
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Congrats on it! Thou shall not understand suffering who has not replaced pollen filter on P1... :P

I would only add that in my case removing glovebox was absolutely not needed, however I chose to go with full CEM disconnection route. Its probably down to preferences, but found this way much easier. Also allowed me to contact-spray the connectors and check all relays.
Thanks. That is true. As DCW said "It's a right of passage being a Volvo owner to change the pollen filter".

You are correct. If you completely remove/unplug the CEM, you probably don't need to remove the glove box.
I really wasn't up for messing with it though, so decided on the glove box method. I was also going to install my dash-cam, but half way into putting it all back together I forgot about it.

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 14:38   #108
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Great guide going to be attempting mine next week
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 22:32   #109
Kevin2786

First off I would like to say thanks for the guide. Was of great assistance to what was an otherwise patience testing job!!!

Just wondering if any one else had an srs airbag service urgent after doing this? I removed the glove box and disconnected the passenger airbag switch. However I forgot to disconnect the battery, which I think may be now causing the fault message.

Any one else face something similar?
Kevin2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 23:16   #110
Sysyphus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2786 View Post
First off I would like to say thanks for the guide. Was of great assistance to what was an otherwise patience testing job!!!

Just wondering if any one else had an srs airbag service urgent after doing this? I removed the glove box and disconnected the passenger airbag switch. However I forgot to disconnect the battery, which I think may be now causing the fault message.

Any one else face something similar?
Yeah, disconnecting any airbag related device while the battery is connected will trigger that warning. Needs VIDA/DICE or at least one of the more up-to-date complex OBD readers to reset it
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag