Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My S40 Badly Damaged!

Views : 19118

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 19:38   #41
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithjeb View Post
I suppose the other question is was the damage on the kerb side when parked? Its feasible you did it yourself whilst parking.
You would have to be going at a hell of a rate to damage a wheel that much and to damage two wheels is not natural to my thinking.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 19:47   #42
Daim
Brit in Germany

THIS is how a rim looks, which is rammed into a concrete center barrier:

And this is the rim the 40t truck rubbed into:

And this is the wheel which pushed my front right wheel and forced me into the center barrier:

(The darker marks are what hit my rims and the spokes)

And the steering was still straight afterwards... The car hopped around (jumped up by about 5-7 inches) and I was expecting big damage to the car... Nowt.

With my experience, I would say someone slid into the curb going to fast around a right curve, slid into the curb (which would explain why the steering has turned left).

The two dents in the rear are more likely to be older...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 19:52   #43
Daim
Brit in Germany

This confirms with my thoughts:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5032268...n/photostream/
A picture uploaded on the 21st of January 2013 by Zeb himself into his Flickr account.

And if you zoom in, you find these two dents:

So, those dents aren't new...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 19:52   #44
gmain1967
Premier Member

I'm afraid I concur with what is being said by the majority here.

I have only had one wheel like that (an OZ Super T, which I kerbed rather than be sideswiped by a bin lorry). There is no way that has been hit - either by a motorbike or a car/lorry. Possibly a tank running along the side though two small dents on the door would be least of your worries.

If the steering is out, that is completely separate to the damage to the rear wheel. That would indicate the front has been damaged also.

The damage and problems are conducive with a moving accident. The car could not have been stationary to result in damage of that nature. Only way that could have happened would have been if handbrake was not fully on and when the car was "hit" by the unidentifed vehicle, the wheel rotated as it moved along a kerb...

I think your insurance might ask some questions on account of the explanation and damage seemingly not adding up..... If I were you, I think I;d fix it myself...
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 19:55   #45
Slackey
It's just a name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
This confirms with my thoughts:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5032268...n/photostream/
A picture uploaded on the 21st of January 2013 by Zeb himself into his Flickr account.

And if you zoom in, you find these two dents:

So, those dents aren't new...
Rumbled......appears not all is ringing true Zeb

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slackey For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 20:11   #46
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Another thing running through my mind (and I take into consideration your circumstances) but for the love of god if you have 220BHP and fit budget tyres! I had to even search for the brand I had never come across them!

Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 20:15   #47
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Another thing running through my mind (and I take into consideration your circumstances) but for the love of god if you have 220BHP and fit budget tyres! I had to even search for the brand I had never come across them!

The position the damage is in, is curb damage. Would cover the spinning style of the dirt on the rubber...

Anyway you look at this, it is not damage caused by someone else. It is not stationary damage. It is damage which makes you stationary...

Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 20:22   #48
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
Possibly even the cause of the inflicted damage?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 20:31   #49
spanner110
Mechanic

I was going to watch a Hercule Poirot DVD tonight, I'm not going to bother now, this thread is way better.
Sorry chaps, I have to say this
So we kinda know that zeb did it, in the Volvo, sideways, at speed.... can we get a shot of the drivers seat for evidence of clenched cheeks please.
I lost half an hour of my life reading all the posts to gain as fuller picture of events as possible. What really clinched it for me was the stress evident in zebs posts as well as the defensiveness of his tone. Thus I ask myself "what facts is he omitting"? Of course zeb has stuck to his story so solidly, that to change it for a confession now is nigh on impossible without losing face.
Given all the posts on the other forum regarding 'performance needs' which have come to light, and what amounts to admissions of reckless driving Yes, zeb, racing another vehicle on a public road is reckless, period! Anyone could reasonably assume that this damage is self inflicted. If you can prove beyond reasonable doubt to the contrary, then I shall publicly apologise to you.
Here's the scathing part, Zeb, if you cannot accept responsibility for your actions, then you can't expect us to commiserate with you? Please man up and get your vehicle repaired.
OK, that's lit the blue touch paper, I guess his anger comes next.
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 21:32   #50
Slackey
It's just a name!

I parked mine at work the other day for less than 5 mins and looked what happened. It was ok when I left it, I am sure I would have noticed if there was a problem when I drove it earlier. That dent in the rear panel was not there before I left it ..........

Previous: 2010 C70 2.0 SE Lux, 2004 V40 2.0 Sport Classic

Founder member of the X40 In Dash Cup Holder Owners Club 😋
Slackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Slackey For This Useful Post: