Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V Reg S40 Keyfob question

Views : 1122

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 13:39   #1
paulcl

Default V Reg S40 Keyfob question

Hi Everyone, i brought a used v reg s40 over the weekend, but only got a key, no actual fob thingy. Ive seen you can get from ebay, etc but im not sure if i need 2,3,4 button fob, also, do all s40's have alarm/immobilser? as i not paying £170.00 to volvo main bandit (dealer) for a fob if there is no alarm, as i will just use the key to lock and unlock doors,boot, if thats all fob does.
so to sum up, what type of fob do i need (2,3, or 4 button) and will my s40 be alarmed or immobilised, it does have like "sensors" on each side of the frame on the front windscreen, but cannt see any led etc to indicate armed or not armed.

thanks in advance
paulcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 19:59   #2
Big T
Jimmy's Mate!

On my 1997 20.t I had it had an alarm and immoberliser, if it is fitted with an alarm it should have sensors on the pillars next to the sun visors!! My fob had just 2 buttons!
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 20:12   #3
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcl View Post
Hi Everyone, i brought a used v reg s40 over the weekend, but only got a key, no actual fob thingy. Ive seen you can get from ebay, etc but im not sure if i need 2,3,4 button fob, also, do all s40's have alarm/immobilser? as i not paying £170.00 to volvo main bandit (dealer) for a fob if there is no alarm, as i will just use the key to lock and unlock doors,boot, if thats all fob does.
so to sum up, what type of fob do i need (2,3, or 4 button) and will my s40 be alarmed or immobilised, it does have like "sensors" on each side of the frame on the front windscreen, but cannt see any led etc to indicate armed or not armed.

thanks in advance
if you have the movement sensors then the car is alarmed, the led for the alarm on my v40 is built into the nearside dash mounted speaker cover. My fob has two buttons and if you purchase one from ebay 2nd hand or otherwise it will need to be programmed to your car(main dealer job) .
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:02   #4
paulcl

Thanks for the responses.
Yes it does have the sensors on each frame running up the sides of the front windscreen. My next ? therefore is... can the alarm (if still connected and working) be set/alarmed using the actual key? ive tried putting the key in the door and holding it in the lock position for a few seconds when i activate the central locking, but nothing appears to happen.
I only ask because if my s40 isnt alarmed i dont really wana pay for a fob and get it reprogrammed if all it does it lock/unlock, as i have a key for that.

thanks,, oh love the "volvo for life" quote, might have to use it sometime
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:51   #5
T4 mikey
Troublesome trucks rule

if you by a fob off e-bay you need the code that comes with the fob to program the CAR to the fob,This can only be done at a Volvo dealership via the Volvo mainframe.See this thread for info:- Other 70 Problem: secondhand V70 new owner...keyfob problem..
T4 mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:09   #6
paulcl

update...... stugess volvo advise (after sending me to different departments for about 20mins) that i will have an alarm/immobiliser, so im goin to get a 3 or 4 button fob and pay to get reprogrammed to my s40.

and to the guy who advised the led was in the speaker on the dash, volvo say this is the climate sensor. so im still not sure if had alarm until i try the fob i guess.,
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 13:00   #7
Lou Ferrigno

The guy that said the led in the speaker on the dash was for the alarm was correct.
Whoever it was at Volvo that told you different is wrong and I certainly would not rely on him to sort out your fob issue.
Lou Ferrigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 13:17   #8
paulcl

i dont plan on volvo sorting my fob, i will buy a blank fob from ebay or somewhere and get reprogrammed elsewhere, besides that fact that volvo main bandits wanted £170 or a fob.. no chance !!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:10   #9
T4 mikey
Troublesome trucks rule

climate sensor is on the panel with your heater controls
T4 mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 10:40   #10
Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Ferrigno View Post
The guy that said the led in the speaker on the dash was for the alarm was correct.
Whoever it was at Volvo that told you different is wrong and I certainly would not rely on him to sort out your fob issue.
Being a new owner I noticed this on the speaker grill as well but mine doesn't do anything or light up at all when the doors are locked with the fob. I have another led that flashes, think its on the central locking switch on the dash that flashes. According to the owners manual thats correct and doesnt mention the other one in the speaker grill !
Mission is offline   Reply With Quote